“Small room, but great customer service”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Went to the Omni for the weekend to help celebrate a couple's anniversary and had an okay time (since it rained the entire weekend). The rooms are cozy; can get a bit stuffy at times if you don't have the AC on.

Their customer service is wonderful. Had a problem with the bathroom door squeaking and not being able to shut. Call the front desk and they came to fix the problem within minutes!

Parking was expensive so we decided to park across the street at the parking garage which is about $10/day vs the $35/day the hotel charges.

All in all, the atmosphere at the hotel is great; clean, easy access to the River Walk, and a wonderful place to just get away to chill.

BTW, the pool is heated for the chilly times they may have in SA!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,132)

Reviewed January 16, 2011

I had told my husband earier in the day that Priceline was a funny thing....some hotels treat you terrific - others frown on your "discount stay". Unfortunately, this hotel is a huge frowner. When I checked in my original room had NO window - only a door with a fabric covering that overlooked a cement wall. I did ask to be moved, and they did oblige...but my new room was on the street and incredibly noisy. Know that if you hope you'll "luck into" a Riverfront room - they offer you one upon check-in for a $50 per day upgrade as I booked via "a THIRD PARTY".
I also had issues with the hot water and when I called and asked if anyone else had reported a problem I was told "no one else has had an issue"...which, yes, answered my question, but didn't fix my lack of hot water.
I last stayed at the Mokara (formerly Watermark) and loved every second. Just because this is a sister Omni property, don't be fooled into thinking it's anywhere near the class and service...after all, I was a third class guest.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaperPrincess
LaMansion1, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize for, and hope that your issue with the hot water was addressed and corrected by our twenty-four hour engineering staff, and wish to advise you this was an isolated incident. We appreciate all of our guests, regardless of where they made their reservations, so I regret you did not experience the level of hospitality we have become famous for since 1968. As a historic hotel, our guestrooms come in many sizes, configurations and with many different views. Hopefully, you will afford us another opportunity to service you and we will locate a room type more suitable to your needs.

Reviewed January 7, 2011

The hotel has a great location (although probably any hotel on the Riverwalk does anyway). The rooms are pretty and clean. They are not quiet. It doesn't matter if you're on a high floor (I was) or whether you're on the Riverwalk or street side. You'll get noise. It wasn't terrible, but it was noticeable. I was deciding between La Mansion and Hotel Contessa. I would have like to have tried Hotel Contessa, but La Mansion was nice. Join the free Omni Select Guest program, you will get free beverages delivered in the morning when you want them, and a newspaper of your choice too. The prices are not bad. I chose the Romance package which included Champagne and chocolates every night, breakfast every morning, and valet parking (did not use this), and it was worth the extra cost for the perks. There were some drawbacks, such as a sticker that was on the bathroom wall when we arrived (clearly came from a piece of clothing/size sticker) that stayed the whole week, and sometimes our room was not made up until the afternoon, and we had to call. When they clean your room, they turn off the lights and close the curtains, so you're fumbling in the dark, which is annoying. The extra benefits were very nice but without them, this is just an average/nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The hotel staff isn't kidding when they say the hotel is on Riverwalk. In my humble opinion, the location of this little boutique hotel is as good as it can get. Main entrance of the hotel opens to a busy street intersection, and plenty of hotel guest doors open directly on the Riverwalk (accessible via a set of stairs).

We were travelling with a few friends who had young kids. The reservation staff was extremely accommodating especially with respect to needs of young children e.g. cribs, microwave and freezer in the room etc.

Upon arrival, starting from the bellman to front-desk the staff was extremely friendly, and very helpful.

The rooms (other than riverview ambassador) are relatively smaller in size (compared to other Omni hotels). The rooms are also a tad-bit noisy i.e. rooms don't do a good job at isolating external sounds -- perhaps this was intentional, but an inconvenience to us nonetheless.

One neat feature is that a set of (three or five or more) rooms share a common balcony. This is something unique amongst full-service hotels -- atleast i've yet to encounter it before. Adds to the 'cool-factor'.

Only valet parking is available, and can be a tad-bit expensive ($32 for overnight parking). If you don't need to get in-and-out of a garage, and simply want a parking place for the night, I would recommend parking at the public garage opposite to the hotel ($8 for overnight parking).

All-in-all, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I have spent two Anniversaries at this wonderful hotel. Our 36th and 38th. We will be there again as often as possible, even other occasions.
We were lucky enough to get a room with a balcony, I am pretty sure it was the same room we had last time we were there. We brought our little dog also this time.
We had the cleanest room, great time sipping coffee and wine on the balcony watching the boats and people go by.
We got free coffee delivered to our room every morning with our special deal we got. They treated us special for our Anniversary and even signed a card for us. So special and wonderful,everyone always so helpful and friendly.
Would recommend this place to anyone and stay here any time. Our favorite place on the River Walk , with wonderful memories, thank you so much for everything.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We chose to stay right on the riverwalk for this Christmas and chose Omni La Mansion Del Rio for the stay. We picked the hotel based on a riverwalk barge narrator's comments from a prior trip - that this hotel used to be St Mary's College back in the 1800s.

The hotel certainly did not disappoint, it had a lot of character and a lot of Spanish flair. The location ofcourse was fantastic and the riverwalk lighting was wonderful.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and room very comfortable.

On Christmas day, we had breakfast (buffet) at Omni's sister property across the river - Mokara. It was very good too.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2010

My family traveled to San Antonio's Riverwalk from Dec. 21-24, 2010. The LaMansion del Rio was wonderful! When we arrived I had done a preheck in (I received an email allowing me to do this) and my room key was waiting for me at the Bellman Stand so I didn't have to wait in line. We were escorted to our room by a very friendly and helpful fellow. Our room on the 4th floor was 400 sq. feet with a balcony overlooking the river, which was decorated for Christmas with beautiful lights everywhere. We opted for the 'Rejuvination Package' which allowed us a $150.00 per day spa credit at the Mokara Spa (a sister hotel) that was just across the river. I had a Rain Shower Massage, my husband had an 80 minute Deep Tissue Massage and my daughter had a mani/pedi. She is 16 and would have loved a massage too, but the spa policy is 18 or older for massages. The spa was beautiful and the experience was wonderful.
We also were provided breakfast and had the option of going to the buffet or having in room dining. We chose to have our breakfast in our room & the food was excellent. We had an assortment, from omlets, pancakes, waffles to french toast...everything was yummy!
Our room was comfortable with a king size bed and a pull out sofa for our daughter. She slept on the pull out the first night, but after that decided that the couch itself was just as comfy and slept on it without utilizing the pullout and she slept great.
The service was wonderful. We explored the river by foot mostly, but asked how far Market Square was from our hotel and the Bellman offered to have the hotel car drive us. Our room was always very clean and tidy. We had a turndown service & fresh ice in our room every evening when we returned. The staff was friendly and helpful in every instance.
San Antonio is a beautiful place and if you decide to visit, I highly recommend the LaMansion del Rio! It was a great experience from start to finish.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family