“Great views of the Riverwalk”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 7, 2008

Couldn't have picked a better hotel on the Riverwalk. La Mansion is right the in the middle of the action on the Riverwalk and balcony views are great as long as you're not too high up. We were on the 6th floor and would have liked to have been on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We actually had two balconies - a small private one and a larger shared balcony. The room was very well decorated and clean. It was very luxurious. The service was unparallel. We stayed on a Sunday night and asked for an upgrade since we knew they wouldn't be booked up. We got the Ambassador room, which was larger than a regular room, for the price of the regular room. We didn't use valet and opted to park across the street in the garage since it was cheaper but the valet service was very helpful and courteous while we were at the front desk checking in. I read in previous reviews that the elevators were slow but since we were there on a Sunday in October it wasn't really an issue. It was great to walk right out of the hotel onto the riverwalk. The hotel is just as lovely in person as it is on their website.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (4,134)

Reviewed November 3, 2008

We've stayed at La Mansion several times. It's location can't be beat and the fact that it's a historical property with rumors that one of the ballrooms is haunted makes it an intriguing place to stay. That said a traveler must be fairly picky about the room location in this property so you might want to see the room prior to check in. BE PREPARED if you booked on a site like Hotwire you'll get the worst and loudest rooms. They allowed us to upgrade to a riverview room for $25 well worth the price. The rooms aren't huge by any stretch but well kept. The pool is in desperate need of a remodel but the hotel now has an arrangement for it's guests to use the spa amenities and pool of the five star Watermark across the river. That benefit alone raises La Mansion to a 4.5 star property. That makes for an unbeatable combination. Enjoy

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sparkyparks
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We wanted to stay on the Riverwalk and wanted a better room than a homewood suites type room so we pricelined 2 rooms and our offer was accepted 60% less than published rates. I called ahead to see if we could get our rooms next to each other. The hotel was allmost full. The Mgr. on duty offered us the navarro suite for a modest upgrade. The room was fantastic! The staff was very friendly and helpfull. We have stayed in San Antonio many times and found the Omni to be a nice , Clean getaway. I highly reccomend it. AAA+++

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 7, 2008

The Omni La Mansion rescued us from a horrible experience with the Westin La Cantera. After a beautiful wedding, we arrived at the Westin La Cantera to discover our room had been sold and there was no room at the inn. We are not from San Antonio but my husband remembered hearing about La Mansion. He called and they had the presidental suite available! When we arrived they gave us a generous voucher for breakfast. Everyone was so gracious to us and made our stay so special. They rescued us from what could have been a terrible night.
The Omni La Mansion is truly a first class hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2008

My companion and I stayed 4 nights at La Mansion, and we found it to be quite nice. It's not the very nicest place I've ever stayed, but it was certainly one of the nicest. It was clean and quiet, and the rooms were nicely furnished, including flat-screen TVs. Of course, the best part of La Mansion is that it's right on the Riverwalk, and you are in walking distance of the Alamo, El Mercado, La Villita, etc., so the location is fantastic. One previous reviewer mentioned that the halls were dark, which seemed discouraging, but I found the hallway lighting to be pleasantly subdued, rather than harshly bright.

We got a really good deal through Priceline. My companion booked our rooms as a package with his airfare, so our rooms cost approximately $125 each per night. Definitely well worth that price. Most websites I looked at showed the lowest price to be $200-ish per room, and I might hesitate to spend that much, even for the fantastic location. Even booking through Priceline and getting such a good deal, we still got good rooms. We got rooms with patio doors overlooking the pool, which let in some nice natural light.

Parking was a bit of an issue. La Mansion offers valet parking (for $25 a day, I think), but when I called them and asked about parking, they very graciously told me about the parking garage directly across the street, which costs only $7 a day, but with no in/out privileges, so you have to pay $7 every time you leave. This is where we chose to park, and it was convenient and safe. However, on Friday and Saturday nights, the garage filled up. There were some paid parking lots with spaces available, but it wasn't clear whether or not they allowed overnight parking, so we decided not to chance parking there. We ended up parking on the street one night, which was free because the meter was free on weekends. I didn't feel great about leaving the rental car unprotected on the street, and there was a scratch on the mirror upon our return the next day. So if you'll have a car, unless you get a good deal on the room, or unless you just particularly want to stay on the Riverwalk, you might do just as well to stay a bit farther from the action and get a nice and less expensive room elsewhere. Again, though, it certainly was convenient to be able to get up and walk out of the hotel onto the Riverwalk.

The staff was all very friendly and respectful. We ate Sunday brunch at Las Canarias in the hotel, and it was expensive $35-ish each, but delicious. The service there was excellent as well.

We only encountered one slight problem, which was that the thermostat in my room wouldn't budge from 70 degrees. That's just a degree or two from where I usually like it, so I didn't mention it to the staff. My companion's thermostat worked fine.

I would definitely try to stay there again. I've been to San Antonio many times, and this was one of my best experiences. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TXsandals
Reviewed September 6, 2008

After reading several critical reviews of the Omni Mansion del Rio, we were a little concerned; however, I am happy to report that we had a wonderful stay. From the moment I arrived the staff were very welcoming and helpful. Luckily, we had booked the Rio Weekend Package, which included breakfast daily at either Las Canarias Restaurant at the Omni Mansion del Rio or La Pesca at the Watermark Hotel (same owners), plus riverboat tickets. We liked La Pesca more, but both were nice with the lovely setting right on the Riverwalk.

Yes, the rooms are small at the Omni Mansion del Rio. We did splurge on a Riverwalk view room and were glad about that. Being on the 6th floor facing the Riverwalk and more or less in the middle of the building was very nice. We could hear people milling around on the Riverwalk at night, but it was not a problem. We slept like babies on the comfortable bed. That said, there was not a lot of space to move around the bed due to the room's size. We loved the decor, which complemented the Spanish architecture nicely. (Note: We noticed that the pool was small but adequate.)

We tried La Pesca for dinner one night and loved the food--our appetizers and entrees were creative seafood with a Latino twist.

The Labor Day weekend was perfect and the right amount of time for seeing everything that we wanted to in San Antonio. We enjoyed the town, and especially the location of our lovely accomodations! The staff was very helpful when I had a late departing flight and allowed a 5:00 pm check-out time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2008

This hotel is EXTREMELY nice. I've never been to San Antonio before nor have I ever stayed at an Omni brand hotel before. If and when I return to San Antonio, I am definitely staying here again. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who expects to be treated like a king or queen and to anyone who is meticulous about quality.

I arrived by taxi from the airport around 11:30 PM to attend a conference being held at the hotel. I was politely and promptly greeted by the Night Auditor as my taxi dropped me off at the curb. He doubled as a bellhop and assisted me with my luggage to the counter. Being mindful of the arrival time noted on my reservation, he pre-registered me, pre-authorized my American Express, and had room keys already coded for an unsolicited room upgrade to a junior suite on the 7th floor. I knew the hotel was packed, so my original room must have been over-booked. He didn't even mention the room blocking issue; he simply took care of it for me prior to my arrive and did not leave me with a problem to deal with at check-in. Great service. I spent 3 years of my younger years working his job and the VIP treatment I received is unrivaled anything I've experienced before.

My room was spectacular. Although I'm not a high maintenance traveler, I took a deep appreciation to the small little details the room has to offer. Being in the business, I couldn't help but inspect the room for flaws and thankfully I remained extremely impressed. The tub, shower curtains, sink, tile grout, and bathroom amenities were as sparkling clean as a showroom home. Bath linens were soft and plush. The bed was very generously layered with sheets, blankets, and pillows. The mattress was firm and the bed linen smelled fresh and laundered. The mini-bar and snack-bar were well stocked with drinks and goodies. The double French-doors that opened up to the exterior walkway facing the interior court were solid enough to make me feel safe and secure. The heating and A/C systems kept my room very comfortable and were quiet as a whisper. Housekeeping did an excellent job turning the room over.

My only complaint was that I used the in-room iron to touch up a dress shirt, however it leaked rust-colored stagnate water and ruined the shirt. Apparently it hasn't been used by guests in a very long time. I notified the front desk the next morning and my iron was replaced that afternoon. I didn't bother mentioning the ruined shirt, but if I did I am pretty sure someone with authority would have done something to compensate.

The next morning for the conference, I observed the banquet staff. I could tell they were very well managed and catered to every detail to service. My co-workers and I sat in the far corner of a large banquet room and it was unusually cold. I made a casual remark about the temperature in that corner while chit-chatting with a server and within a half hour we all in the corner of the room felt a noticeable improvement in temperature. I certainly didn't expect the comment to be passed on to the banquet manager, but it was. I find service of that level is very touching.

The next 2 days of my stay went well. Aside from the bats that fly around at night, I felt very comfortable and had an extremely pleasing stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business