“Classic Luxury Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Orange, California
“Classic Luxury Hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel is vintage mid 1800s and of classical old Spanish architecture. The restaurant is first rate. The breakfast buffet was phenomenal and included an omelet chef. Best of all, the hotel is located right on the River Walk with immediate access to shopping, restaurants, and the Alamo. Valet parking is available and there is a low cost public parking structure directly across the street. Staff was pleasant and service oriented. Room furnishings in our room were not new, nor did they show signs of excessive wear. The other amenities of this hotel more than make up for this, if it is even to be considered a shortcoming. If it were not for Priceline, we would not have otherwise discovered this gem.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the River Walk. Others have a view of the courtyard, pool, or street. Rooms l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ron B
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review of your recent stay at our property. We are very pleased you found the location to be so ideal and that the friendliness of our staff, decor of our rooms, and dining were so impressive. We appreciate your feedback and do hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent 5 nights here on vacation in mid May 2013 from UK. Arrived quite late, checked in easily and with a warm welcome. Room was on a corner, on 3rd floor looking down into a courtyard and across the road to the medical centre so we had two (very small) balconies. Big comfortable bed, plenty of space (this was a good sized room for what we are used to in the UK), bathroom was very clean and again good size. There was no safe in the room but easy enough to get one at reception (at no cost) and we left our valuables there for the time we were there. Breakfast was included in our rate, and was excellent with a chef making omelettes to order in front of us, wide selection of fruit, and cooked food, plus good range of bread and pastries. There was plenty to eat at breakfast so much so that we didn't need to eat lunch at all on any of the days we were there. The Sunday was Mothers day so the hotel had champagne breakfast which was not included so we ate at the sister hotel just across the bridge over the river walk. Again this was good quality although we did have to wait for about 15 minutes to be seated (but probably due to Mothers day). the hotel bar lacks some atmosphere, but there are lots of places to go a short walk away.
The hotel is on the river so you step straight out onto the river walk, and this makes the location ideal for visitors. We had breakfast on the small terrace overlooking the river walk on two days and it was very relaxing and enjoyable. For a tourist you are within walking distance of the key sights/or bus tours. The concierge was very helpful and recommended a bus tour which took us out to the two missions, and various other sites, this is a hop on/hop off bus so you can spend time where you want. The concierge also helped us to plan our route to Galverston taking in Goliad (another historic mission, and place to visit).

The staff were all very friendly, and helpful, the rooms very clean and comfortable, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There is a small coffee shop near reception, many restaurants within close proximity along the river walk and in town. It is not a cheap hotel but we felt we got good value for money.

We hired a car for the last day and for our onward journey, and used the multi-story car park right opposite the hotel for about $9 a night; I would not pay $30+ hotel rates for valet parking when there is a self park so close by.

Some of the hotel rooms do not have views so do check before you book, and some rooms seem to front onto a baclony walkway, and I would have been disappointed with a room like this. There is some traffic noise but I suspect that on the river walk there can also be noise from people out late.

San Antonio itself is lovely, with lots to see and do, if you have a car then do try to get out and see more than just the river walk area.

Room Tip: Corner room would seem to be a bit bigger than others.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review of your recent stay at our property. We are very pleased you found the location to be so ideal and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We appreciate your feedback and do hope to see you again soon!
San Clemente, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

First of all ... the staff (top to toe) are wonderful and you couldn't ask for nicer, more helpful personnel. The hotel itself though, wow .... shocked that it gets the 4-star reviews. I like the concept of the mission style simplicity. And I adore hotels in historic buildings. But the carpet, upholstery, chair cushions, etc... all need replacing. The room felt like a motel on Highway 66 without the kitsch of neon lights. The hallways were dark and musty. It has nowhere near the panache of the Omni Berkshire in NY or the Omni Tucson National....my benchmarks for Omni Hotels. I suspect it's true of any hotel on the Riverwalk, but it's noisy as heck, too. I had a major street out the main windows and kitty-corner on the Riverwalk was the Hard Rock Cafe. Forget sleep until the wee hours. Overpriced for the furnishings, but large room and easy access to the Riverwalk if that's what you want.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be so fantastic but are disappointed to hear you found the rest of your experience at our property to be so unpleasant. We hope the superior level of service you received during your stay and the overall quality you have experienced with Omni in the past is enough to warrant consideration for a future visit to our property.
Minnesota
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at Omni La Masion del Rio while visiting family in San Antonio. The staff was friendly and fairly attentive. The location on the River walk is great. My issue is with the room. Our room was on the street side of the hotel and had no view. The area of the hoel we were in seems old and outdated. The room and hall way area had a musty odor to it. We did rent a car and found parking at the hotel expensive, but were able to find less expensive parking across the street. We have stayed at other Omni hotels in the US and Mexico and found this one to be a little disapointing for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that so many aspects of your stay fell below your expectations and have passed your comments along to our Management team for review. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to see you again.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I just arrived yesterday morning but so far this place can't be beat! Amazing service, allowed me to change my room, let me check in at 8:30 am, brought a fridge within 5 mins of my request--I have a ground floor room that opens to the pool area, free coffee which I enjoyed by the pool, incredible workout facility across the riverfront, free wifi, and yes the room is a little dark per other reviews but they have dimmed light fixtures for added light and beautiful room with amazing beds! So far I can't wait to come back but lucky for me I have four more days--off to the Alamo but I will update as the stay continues.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your "in the moment" feedback and we are very pleased that all the aspects of your stay thus far have been so spectacular from the moment you arrived!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

For the money, I'd be pressed to give this a 'good' rating. The room was clean, but dark. The location was very good, but we were put in an annex away from the riverwalk with no view. And then we were charged $35 a night for parking and $10 for Internet. We had a wonderful time in San Antonio, but I didn't feel the hotel had much to do with it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rocky R
Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. We are very disappointed to hear that your stay at our property was not enjoyable. We do offer a variety of room types from river view to courtyard and always attempt to honor reservations made for these specific room types followed by any upgrade requests and we apologize if the room type you received was not the one you reserved. Additionally, we do offer free wifi when you sign up for our Select Guest Program which only takes a few minutes and is complimentary. This program also includes many other perks so we do hope you consider it. We do also realize that parking in a downtown location can be difficult and we always work to ensure our valet pricing is fair and comparable to other downtown parking options. Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we hope that with some of this information we can have the opportunity to see you again soon.
Chicago
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I travel alot and the hotel staff at the Omni La Mansion has the best customer service I have experinced. I had planned a mother daughter weekend with my daughter who just gradauted college. We were impressed when you pull into the valet at the hotel the staff is quick and help you get into the otel and checked in as quick as possible. The front desk attendant Jorge was checking us in when he et me know that I had reserved the rooms for the following weekend, not memorial weekend. I was dumbfounded, as I had booked my reservation with a online discount hotel service.Jorge stated that they did have rooms at their regular rate. We had traveled from Chicago and I did nto know what to do so I stated I needed a minute. Jorge told me to take as much time a I needed in their beautiful lobby. I was attempting to contact the website, and the front desk manager approached us and stated that Jorge had told what had happened and that anything they could do to help us, let him know they would hold a room for us complimentry until we could make a decision. I was pleasantly surprised that they would do that for us since it was a busy holiday weekend and the lobby was full of guests checking in. My daughter was so looking forward to staying at this charming spanish style hotel I went back online and booked the room at this hotel. Jorge was happily waiting to check us in, he was so pleasant and accomodating. We checked in, our bags were delivered to our room. It one thing to get great service when everything is going well , its another when you get great service when something is not going well. Our room was spacious, facing the pool so their was very little noise. The hotel is a historic hotel, with a spanish charm. The pool is located in the courtyard of the hotel and a little smaller but what you lack in size you gain in ambiance. I will be booking a room for a romantic weekend wih my husband in the future at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you need to park your car and you will needing in and out parking, parking across the street is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank womantrvler
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. We are so delighted to hear that you received such outstanding service from Jorge and the entire front desk staff at check-in and that this interaction set a positive tone for your entire experience at the Omni La Mansion del Rio. We definitely look forward to seeing you again when you return to San Antonio!