“Best place to stay on the river”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our seventh trip to San Antonio in ten years. We've tried a few different hotels but always seem to come back to the Omni. It's location is perfect (right on the water) and in the center of everything we love about the area. The room was amazing, the view perfect and the hotel staff first rate! Our last night there we sat outside for dinner and it was magical. The food was amazing (especially the steak) and the view was perfect. We didn't use the pool this time around as it was spring break and there were more kids there than you would normally fine. The only drawback with this hotel is that they have no hot tub in the pool area, that's it! I would most certainly send friends here for their stay!

Room Tip: Always on the riverside if there's one available, it's the best show in town!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your feedback! We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay and that the service and accommodations keep bringing you back to the Omni La Mansion del Rio! We will ensure your kind words make it back to the staff and we definitely look forward welcoming you back very soon!

There are newer reviews for Omni La Mansion del Rio

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My adult daughter and I stayed in a premier Riverwalk room on 3rd floor for 2 nights during Spring Break. I didn't realize until we got there that all schools in Texas have the same Spring Break (unlike Penna) so it was really crowded. Also, St. Patrick's day was coming so that added to the crowds and party atmosphere. Maybe because I had been warned about the noise it didn't bother me. Granted, I was awakened a couple of times in the night by music or drunken screams out on the Riverwalk but, let's face it, I wasn't there on a business trip and didn't need to get up the next morning for a 8am meeting. The bed was very comfortable and the room was a nice size. Bathroom was lovely with amazing water pressure in both the sink and shower. Amenities were also very nice and plentiful (enough lotion to actually moisturize two adult bodies!!) Front desk staff was courteous and concierge was helpful. He gave us free breakfast (we hadn't done the package) when I wasn't completely satisfied with the carriage tour he arranged for us. The other Omini across the river supposedly has 5 stars while this one has only 4 but I can't imagine that their view was as nice as ours. Sitting on our balcony was truly like being ON the riverwalk...not having a view of it. We had a private balcony which I highly recommend. We also had access to one of the shared balconies out a different door from our room but there were pre-teens on it for much of the time. They weren't rowdy or misbehaved but they were there! Our private balcony was wonderful.

Room Tip: Do whatever you can to get a private balcony over the river.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear you had such a wonderful stay and that our service and accommodations left such a lasting impression. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is an old building with thin walls. Rock bands playing on the river mean no sleep until 2:00 a.m. Then the giant trucks come unloading dumpsters at 7:00 a.m. Not even earplugs and white-noise machine helped. Horrible sleep.

Perhaps some rooms on the far interior are better, but I doubt it. I walked around and even in the interior the sound was LOUD because this old building just doesn't have any modern insulation.

They try hard -- the service was as good as I've ever had, and the rooms are nice and well appointed. This is the only reason I bump it up to 2 stars instead of 1.

Avoid this place! You will get no sleep here.

Room Tip: Our room faced the "courtyard". It was *HORRIBLE*. You will get no sleep here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George W

Thank you for your review. While we are very pleased to hear you found the rooms to be so well appointed and the service you experienced to be some of the best you've ever received, we are very disappointed that the noise levels of the riverwalk caused your stay overall to be unpleasant. We appreciate you taking a moment to provide us with your feedback and we hope you consider the Omni La Mansion del Rio again when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The valet was full, too slow , then check in was a joke. Room looks like a low older budget version of La Quinta. The mattress was a joke! An old version pillow top with extra old padding! What the lower budget hotels have.

• Stayed: March 2013
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel. We regret it was such an unpleasant experience and apologize for any inconveniences you encountered. We do understand your concerns regarding these issues but we certainly hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future. Thanks again for your feedback and feel free to reach out to us directly if there is anything else you may need.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a very unique hotel. Once a small Jesuit school, in Spanish architecture, over a hundred years ago, then over the years turned into a larger college with a dorm, then turned into a chic hotel for the San Antonio Fair in 68. It's going back in time! Everything about the hotel takes you back to the Spanish/Mexican origin of San Antonio. The rooms are very spacious, beautiful furniture, and the ceiling still has the original wooden bars that support it. Ask for a room with a precious view of the river and its walkway with its buzz of excitement and beauty; go out on its balcony to breathe in the glamour of the view! Then at night enjoy a wonderful dinner at its La Canaria restaurant. It is a very unique experience you won't forget.

Room Tip: Room with view to the riverwalk
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KennedySchisler

Thank you for your review and we are delighted your stay was so enjoyable. We are glad you were able to appreciate all the wonderful history our property and our city has to offer and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My grandma has lived in San Antonio for over 65 years. I have fond memories of the Riverwalk as a child. We decided to spend 2 nights when we arrived in a Riverwalk hotel. We could not have been more pleased with the location and historic charm. We loved it so much that we tried to go back on our last night ( after enough visit at 90 year old grandmothers) but it was booked. So we stayed at one of the BIG hotels. No comparison with the balcony. At La Mansion you are only up a few stories and feel as you are really on the river!
We also enjoyed the free breakfast that was included with our package. We were able to dine riverside. A great Italian restaurant is piasanos ?? Or something like that- directly on the river.
We walked everywhere from this hotel, Alamo , the huge mall, restaurants and bars. We have found our hotel for life- I will always have this hotel as out # 1 pick.
We had one problem with a bartender vanishing for 15 min at the lobby bar- other than that- PERFECT.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank MAGGIEVA

We are delighted to hear your stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel conjured up so many wonderful childhood memories of the riverwalk! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again when you return to San Antonio.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the La Maison del Rio for three nights. I chose the hotel because it is historic and offers rooms with balconies overlooking the Riverwalk. I paid for an Ambassador Riverwalk view room with a balcony on the 5th floor for the first night and was given an upgrade from a premier Riverwalk balcony room to an Ambassador for the next two nights allowing me to keep the same room for the entire stay which I really appreciated. The view was a delight and the room was huge, what I would classify as a junior suite, with French doors out to a shared balcony. The bathroom was in three sections with a dressing room with vanity first, then the sink area and lastly the toilet and tub/shower combo.

The decor was tastefully southwestern inspired and the bed very comfortable. The hotel staff and the wait staff at Las Canarias, the Riverwalk restaurant, were excellent and very friendly.

It would have been a perfect stay except.......

The hotel has a non-smoking policy in the rooms, balconies and within 25 feet of the hotel doors and requires that guests sign a form stating acknowledgement of the policy. However, this does not stop some of the more unenlightened guests from smoking in their rooms and on the shared balcony which was a real problem for me as I had a pair of them in the room next door. I had to call the front desk twice to complain. I would have thought hotel security would have removed the smokers after the first complaint as stated in the hotel's policy but they were not removed and continued to smoke in their room and on the shared balcony until my second complaint. I had only one day of the three day stay to sit on the balcony without having to breathe cigarette smoke.

When one is paying $350 a night for a balcony room for the Riverwalk view, one does not want to have to be driven back into the room with the doors shut because the hotel did not remove the guests who refused to honor the hotel's non-smoking policy.

Other than that, the hotel, restaurants, facilities and staff were excellent and I would return on my next trip to San Antonio but would never put up with smokers in the room next to mine again. I would demand they were removed or insist upon a room change next time. I also think the hotel should put metal grillwork between the rooms on the shared balconies for safety and security of the guests.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a Riverwalk view room with a balcony on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

We are very pleased to hear that overall you had a very enjoyable stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel and appreciate your feedback. We are disappointed to hear of the troubles you encountered with other guests not adhering to our non-smoking policy but glad this did not detract overall from your experience. Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with this review and we hope to see you again soon!