4,423 results
All reviewsthe rivershared balconylas canarias restaurantfrench doorssister propertyostrabeautiful hotelturn down serviceriverwalk viewperfect locationvalet parkingbalcony roomthe san antonio riverwalkhistoric buildingvalet serviceeasy accessfitness center
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I had the chance to get away with the wifey so we chose the Omni. The room was small but it served it's purpose, we were able to relax and enjoy the riverwalk. We experienced no problems during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am on my last night of a five night stay. This hotel has a nice atmospere and friendly staff. I was in town for a one day conference. I am sharing a room with a good friend who was also attending the conference. Our first night was went down to grab a cab and head out to dinner. The valet pointed out the hotel shuttle, told us their favorites at the place we were going and then gave us little bottled waters for the ride.

The hotel has "turn down service" and they fill the ice bucket. As you can see from the photos posted by other reviewers, the rooms are romantic and old fashioned with French doors.

The pool is on the small side and in a courtyard where there is sun only part of the day.

But - you walk out the back and there you are right in the heart of the Riverwalk.

To get the most for your dollar, walk up to the CVS (on the Riverwalk) and buy the $1.99 water instead of the $6.99 water in the room and snacks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here last year and loved it so we came back this year. I used a gift certificate I purchased at an auction (same as last year) but this year the front desk treated me very rudely when I asked about breakfast coupons like we received last year. Two employees read the certificate to me (and one man waived it in my face--a first in my 20 year history of using certificates that I frequently buy to support charities). I told them I understood it was not written on the certificate but based on last year and based on my reservation conversation we thought we would receive them. I told them "OK no big deal" and I offered to pay the extra for breakfast and the gentleman went off telling me we were not allowed to eat breakfast and then explained people walk in off the street all the time requesting a room (this seemed odd and patronizing to me based on the location---it is not a Motel 6 on a deserted highway but it is a luxury hotel on the Riverwalk) and how they can book that package but we were not allowed to eat breakfast (he kept saying it over and over). I even asked what it cost and we would just go down in the morning and eat and pay separately. Again he told me we couldn't eat breakfast. I finally just gave up and walked off. (It was one of those situations where you can argue or you can just excuse yourself after being mistreated and retreat.) My kids were on the couch in the lobby overhearing all of this and my young son was so upset when I walked away from the front desk. All the way to the room he kept asking me why this man was so rude to me and why couldn't he eat breakfast. (My husband was not with us and somehow I think that made a difference.) My son loves fancy hotel breakfast and he just didn't understand why this man kept telling me we couldn't eat. (My son could care less about the view but bring on the omelet guy). When I got to the room I went to the balcony to just get away I was so upset.) I guess I should have told him he was not allowed to speak to me like that but I didn't want to make a scene in a fancy hotel lobby. I should have walked out but I didn't know if I could cancel my reservation at that late hour and not be charged? I also decided I would use it as a teaching tool to remind my kids to never speak to someone like that. And to walk away calmly when offended no matter how upset you are. Don't stand and take it.
When I came back in from the balcony I found my child who is allergic to feathers in a bed covered in feathers (duvet and pillows). I quickly called downstairs and ask for them to remove the feathers from our room, They came up about 15 minutes later. I called Omni's 1-800 number to confirm the allergy is on my "Omni frequent guest" membership and was told the hotel should always check that. I told them they obviously didn't check and they didn't change my room at checkin (sometimes hotels give you a better room when you check in). In fact our room had cake in it for my son's birthday (which was very nice and very tasty) so they knew that was to be our room.
We did have a balcony this year (which was a free upgrade since we stayed there last year given to us when we made the reservation) and while the room is larger than the room we had last year it was louder too. It was nice to go outside and see the river but at night you will hear the street noise if you are on that particular end of the hotel.
The concierge on the first day was not the normal guy (who is quite good) and the guy didn't know much at all. I asked about what time the bats where and he kept telling me those were in Austin. I agreed they have bats in Austin but they also have bats in San Antonio on the new part of the Riverwalk extension at the I-35 bridge. (Kids love this BTW) Another employee joined in on the conversation to support the first guy's opinion. (I knew I am right since we saw the bats last year. I just didn't know what time to be there to see them leave the bridge.) Again my kids and I were confused by these people in the hotel lobby who kept talking to argue their case. On a good note the regular concierge is quite nice and at checkout when my kids told him about our horrible check in he was very agologetic.

On the last morning my kids really wanted breakfast so I called down to the restaurant to try to secure a reservation for us. I was ready to plead for a table if I had to since the buffet is so fabulous. (I figured out that maybe the check in person was inartfully trying to tell me the restaurant was full due to a big conference and they didn't have room for us to eat?) Instead I found out the hotel was at low occupancy and they didn't even have the normal buffet that morning or the day before. Great. Now I really have no idea why this man kept telling me we couldn't eat breakfast even when I offered to pay for it?
I sent an email to a woman who is the loyalty ambassador. She was out the first day but did answer it the 2nd day. She said the manager called but I didn't know that since he didn't leave a message. By email I am told that that particular front desk employee is fabulous and receives rave reviews and they would check into all these other issues. I am glad they did respond.

It is still a historic hotel with lots of great architecture and history and I love that. Housekeeping was fine. There are some very nice employees but I have never been treated so rudely at check in in my life. I really like Omni hotels and I like how they frequently donate to charities, so I am trying to chalk this up to one not-so-great bad-luck visit to a normally great hotel. I am giving 4 stars based on what I believe its normal level is not on my back luck experience that was packed into 30 minutes of terrible. I do plan to return since I love the riverwalk and I normally really like this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Love-to-wander-Mom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had a riverview room on the third floor w/a shared balcony, it was very nice. The coffee shop connected to the lobby was great. The valet told us if we wanted to save money with parking that we could use the city parking garage across the street which was only $10 a day. The lobby staff were very nice, especially when we asked where a specific shop was on the riverwalk. They looked it up for us and called them to make sure they had not moved.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FortWorthGirl47
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here primarily because I'm an Omni Gold Select Guest (which anyone can be) and needed 2 more nights to get a free night. I left convinced that this is one of the best places to stay on the Riverwalk. The service is amazing - everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating without being overbearing - I got the feeling that they were genuinely happy that I was staying there. The room was large and charming, with exposed brick and modern amenities. Las Canarias Restaurant is awesome, and I had the fortune of being there during restaurant week, when a 4-course meal cost about what it would cost in a third-world nation. And the kicker was that you can use the fitness center at their sister property, the Mokara Spa, right across the street, which was an absolute delight. I'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you have back issues, see if they have a firm bed - mine was a bit soft.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business