“An Anniversary surprise from my wonderful husband!”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I visited San Antonio 6 years ago on business. Even though my hotel was not on the riverwalk I did spend time exploring the many restaurants, shopping etc. I fell so in love with this place, I told my husband all about it when I got home. To my shock and delight he remembered me going on and on about the riverwalk so many years ago that he surprised me this year with a trip for our Anniversary. What was even more surprising was that he booked us into the Omni La Mansion, which is the hotel that I wanted to stay at should I ever go back to San Antonio. Keep in mind, I am usually the one that plans all of our trips etc, so for my husband to make all these arrangements was...well just touching. I guess he "is" listening when I talk...hahaha! Anyways, this hotel is first class all the way! The room was beautiful, very clean and located on the first floor, facing the riverwalk, with a shared balcony. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were surprised with a bottle of champagne with a very nice card attached, signed by the staff personally, very nice touch! We loved the Sunday brunch in the restaurant. The food was wonderful and the staff was very attentive.

My husband didn't realize when he booked the trip that we were going to be there over the Halloween weekend. It was so much fun watching the little boat parade go down the riverwalk. The boats were decorated for Halloween, they had music playing and threw candy at the crowd. I think I saw MIchael Jackson?? All weekend we encountered people dressed up in costumes, it was alot of fun. I was a little disappointed that the lights on all the trees along the riverwalk are not turned on until after Thanksgiving. My prior business trip was the first of December and there is just nothing more enchanting and beautiful then the riverwalk lite up at night.

I live in the Seattle area so when I tell people we went to San Antonio for our Anniversary, they say "San Antonio, what is in San Antonio?" I can't wait to jump online and show them the Omni La Mansion hotel and the riverwalk. I just feel like we found a little piece of heaven to visit year after year and I tell everybody about it. The hotel is especially wonderful to stay at whether you are with your partner or for a girls getaway. Love, love, love it and Love, love, love my husband!

Room Tip: Select a room facing the riverwalk, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Omni La Mansion del Rio

Reviewed November 18, 2011

We booked 2 rooms. One was near the elevator so it was a little noisy :-( for the granddaughter. Overall we had a very nice stay. Had a little weird incident the 2nd night. Someone knocked on our door & then opened it at about 11:30pm. Thank heaven we had the bar lock on! Then about 10 minutes later someone called on the phone asking the name of the guest staying in the room??????? Don't know what was up that night,told the front desk the next day & they said they were having computer problems the night before. Other than that I would recommend a stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank texasterri4172
Reviewed November 17, 2011

You can't beat it for location! Everything necessary for a great San Antonio vacation is literally steps from your hotel. My son and I flew to San Antonio with the idea that we would pick up a rental car if necessary. Well, for 7 days and nights we could find no good reason to rent a car. Everything we needed or wanted was at our doorstep!

Other reviewers have alluded to the limitations of this hotel---it is a historic building, and can offer only so much in terms of room size, layout, etc. Since we liked the historic aspect of the hotel, that presented no problem for us. The staff was attentive and helpful, but not pushy. The restaurants are worth checking out, although we preferred eating off the property for the foodie tour of San Antonio.

Room Tip: We chose a room on a higher floor to be out of the way of traffic to and from the riverwalk, the poo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

The Omni was in a perfect location -overlooking the beautiful San Antonio Riverwalk. A quick walk out the rear door put us directly onto the riverwalk. The hotel was a short walk to the Alamo and all the city's sites. We did not eat at the hotel, but the food in the restaurant looked yummy.

The Omni had a small pool in a central location, with plenty of big towels. It was quiet and surrounded by lovely plants. One could get drinks poolside.

The front desk folks were very courteous. We arrived early, but there was no issue with holding our suitcases until we could check in. They gave good suggestions on where to go to first. There was so much to do in San Antonio. The little river taxi tour was a definite plus - and only 3 or 4 minutes from the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a high up room overlooking the Riverwalk.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This hotel was an excellent choice in every way. The service is the best you will find at any hotel. The rooms are not only beautiful, but, tasteful, clean, and comfortable. The food here is about thes best I've had at any hotel ever. The location could not be any better for San Antonio, you walk right out the back door onto the busy area of the river walk.

Their fitness center is located in their sister hotel, the Mokara, but, don't let that scare you. If you exit the back door of the La Mansion, cross right over the river, and you enter into the Mokara. It's well lit at all times of the day, and, similar to making your way to a fitness center in a huge hotel. And, you won't be dissapointed, this is also the best fitness center I've seen at a hotel, more like a health club.

You won't be dissapointed if you book with this hotel. Just make sure you are in the Omni rewards program for free in room internet, and, some other nice suprises.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank losergirl1965
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Travelled in October to this hotel with my wife. It is close to being 5 out of 5, only marked it down because the excellent valet parking was quite expensive compared to all the other Texas Hotels we stayed at and the rooms whilst being spacious and well equipped were about ready for an upgrade. That said, I would stay at La mansion again without question for a number of reasons. i.) customer service was first class on every level, ii.) the breakfast is fabulous, full buffet of delicious hot treats, omelette station etc along with lovely fruits and pastries and there is no chance your orange juice or coffee cup will reach the bottom before the great staff cheerfully fill them up for you iii.) the back door opens straight out onto the best part of the riverwalk and is without question the ideal location in San Antonio.
20 restaurants within a few hundred yards and some great bars complete the offer which is why I wouldn't stay anywhere else in San Antonio.
San Antonio itself is a great city. Best night we had if you fancy a bit of a party was the Howl at the moon duelling piano bar which has a number of really talented musicians who will play every request you can think of while everyone in the bar joins in more and more as the night goes on. great laugh!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Just recently on business and enjoyed this property. I will say that as it is several building renovated to one property, navigating hallways may take some getting used to. Service was great. Concierge and valets quite friendly and helpful. Overall a solid experience. Looking forward to returning with my family to explore the riverwalk area further. Be sure to partake of the breakfast buffet...quite a good value. In good weather sit on the outside dining terrace for an even more memorable experience. Other meals here a good - but can be pricey. But the location only has you literally steps away from the numerous pubs and restaurants along the riverwalk.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business