“Great service and a great location”

Omni La Mansion del Rio
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The strong points for this hotel are its amenities: the restaurant, the bar, the Riverwalk access, the great and reasonable room service, an excellent concierge, and access to the Mokara Spa and fitness center across the charming foot bridge over the river. The hotel is a historic building that has undergone numerous changes over century+ of its existence and is a bit convoluted to get around with rooms reflect the tastes of a much earlier era.
The staff went out of their way to provide for our comfort and were gracious and laid back. We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it with a couple of caveats. One, street noise from college street starts up at 6 a.m. on weekdays. Two, there is limited space in the room for luggage-just one suitcase rack. Three, the late night room service menu is limited, take a cab to LuLu's instead.

Room Tip: Try to avoid College street with a balcony, very noisy on weekedays.
1  Thank jax848
John W, General Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Thank you and we are certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to La Mansion. On behalf of our associates let me express my appreciation for the positive comments about our service delivery, gracious staff and excellent food quality. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to San Antonio, and assure you we will continue working to take our room service offerings up another notch so you don’t have to go to LuLu’s for that late night snack.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just stayed at Mansion Del Rio in San Antonio, Tx. Paid extra for riverfront room. It was small with tiny bathroom and limited storage space. Great Sunday buffet. They have a sister hotel across street that looks very nice. I would stay there next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us at La Mansion del Rio, and also for enjoying our fabulous Sunday Brunch in Las Canarias. As a historic building that aims to capture the authentic Spanish Colonial feel of San Antonio, we feature numerous room layouts, locations and views. Please let us know your preference, upon arrival next time, and we will make every effort to find a room that best suits your desires. Of course, Mokara Hotel & Spa is also a very nice alternative if you prefer a more modern feel.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Whan planning our trip in April, who would have know the whole country would have a heat wave! However, we decided to make the best of a a short getaway. The Omni La Mansion hotel was great. It had a Spanish Colonial feel and you reall felt like you were in Texas. Being right on the River Walk, your could just walk out the back and start exploring this great area. Hotel staff was wonderful and more than accomodating. The pool also helped after we finished exploring and needed a cool down. The biggest dissapointment on the River Walk was the food at the restaurants. Although all were packed each night, the quality was more like "tourist food" rather than the quality described on their websites. Two exceptions were Boudro's which was very good and potions were large and Mi Tierra Cafe in Mexican Village. It is worth the short mile or so trip to Mexican Village to shop the stores and have lunch or dinner at Mi Tierra Cafe. Besides being an unbelivable sight for the eyes (very flamboyantly decorated) but I had the best port tacos ever (I still dream about them). Worst dinner experieces were at The Fig Tree (extrememly overpriced and service horrible) and Casa Rio (where not only was the food mediocre but the waitress kept screwing up our bill and ignoring us for most of the evening). Other wonderful exepiences included the Alamo, Mexican Village and just strolling the River Walk.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra to be on the River side - it's worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I have enjoyed La Mansion on the river in San Antonio for many, many years. Now that it is in the Omni family of hotels, it has only gotten better! We love the old world charm and easy access to all the river activities. Our April stay was a fun get-a-way for us and another couple. They had never been to San Antonio, so this was a special treat for us to show them this Texas gem. Don't miss the fantastic breakfasts on the terrace overlooking the river. We bought the breakfast pkg and it was a great deal. Their service is beyond compare....from the valet, check-in until check-out.....we loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for river view. They have balconies overlooking the river
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
LaMansion1, General Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

As much as we love Sundance Square, we have to agree that there is no better place for a quick getaway than the riverwalk, and especially La Mansion in April. Hopefully you won't wait too long to return to the Alamo City, and when you do we hope to be the ones to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

3 in 1 ...No that is not my margaritas to hour ratio, this is the number of rooms I was changed to before I was placed into the correct one...I am a San Antonio native ,and was downtown celebrating my wives birthday,this is a annual thing for us,and I have made a point to try a different property each time...MISTAKE

Room 1-Nice size just what I was looking for,but the carpet was still wet and,the bedding from the previous stay was in a garbage bag on the top of the bed. I wasn't aware of how much of an injustice it was,until a very responsible, room cleaner came to the door with the vacuum cleaner ready to finish the room that wasn't ready. He advised us we should request a different room,and at that point I agreed.

We made our way back to he lobby,and the staff was more than happy to re-accommodate us,so on the spot we were given new keys,and a new room. We merrily made our way to the room...Whats behind door number 2? Nice room,clean and dry carpet,but it is half the size of the first one...I'm not sure of the train of thought in the switch,but I'm not willing to spend the same amount of money for smaller accommodations,In hindsight I should have made that clear from the beginning,but I didn't think I had too.

Now I don't like complaining,in fact I pride myself on being as "out of the way" as possible. So the fact I was going to have to call back down to the front desk,was asking me to step out of my character.,but I did. I spoke to Sarah.I inquired if she was aware the room they sent me to was smaller than the first. "Yes" she advised. She explained the hotel was a historic building ,in which the rooms sizes vary,but like the first they offered to move us again,but it would be on the other side of the hotel. I said sure,and they offered to send our room keys up to us...I was fine with that,so me and my wife waited ,and waited,and waited some more.They NEVER brought the keys up. By this time I was getting a little upset,and honestly this is when they turned a potential 5 rating to a resounding 2. I didn't have the patience for another roundabout with them so my wife offered to call them for me. She, spoke to Sarah again,and asked when I should expect the keys,Sarah advised they were waiting for staff to pick them up,but would put a rush on it. Now maybe I don't know what rush means,but I'm thinking 5-7 minutes from then right?WRONG we waited another320 minutes before my wife decided she would go down and just get them. So she did,she was told that they forgot to send them? How convenient!

So we get to the third room,and what do we find? A perfect room. Just like the first minus the wet carpet...Finally! We could enjoy the stay,we left for about 5 hours and returned to see a birthday card for my wife, four chocolate covered strawberries,and a bottle of champagne... Nice gesture! But the damage was done.

Bottom-line I will never return to this hotel,and I will make sure CWT SatotTavel clients never hear about them. Its located in a nice area,but so are a few others...Send me a message and I will be more than happy to suggest one for you!

Room Tip: Just stay away from this one
2  Thank Marcelgi
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thank you very much for letting us know about your recent stay with us. While we strive to ensure that every guest leaves our hotel with the best opinion of both their stay and the hotel, this case is one that this did not happen. In the case of Marcelgi, we failed to quickly fix the problem of the second room not being up to the expectations of the guest. While many people do request the pool view room, we should have let them know that the second room was smaller than the first. As we are a historic hotel, the rooms vary in size and shape and letting Marcelgi have the option of the smaller pool room or larger courtyard room should have been offered before they were moved. Your feedback is appreciated as it does show us where our service can be improved. This has been addressed with the individuals involved and we know that it is not something that will be repeated in the future. We hope that Marcelgi is able to return to the hotel and see that this is a one-off issue and that they can expect a relaxing and issue free stay when they return again. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

This is one of the best hotels on the Riverwalk. The attention to detail is consistent over the number of times we have stayed. The room was sparklingly clean - my number one pet peeve. The service was without flaw. It is right on the Riverwalk so go left and you are in the thinck of things - great to grab a bite and walk to Macy's. Go right and this is the secret of the Riverwalk. Beautifully done you can walk for miles, quiet, peaceful and notedly unpopulated. Make it down to the Pearl Brewery, stop by Cafe de artiste, and marvel at the architectual landscaping, the dams and locks, and the ART!! Top notch - my highest rating.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

We appreciate both your loyalty to the Omni La Mansion as well as the very kind words regarding your stay with us. The Riverwalk is a great area to explore and we love having it right outside our doors. We look forward to your next trip to San Antonio. Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Great hotel, great staff, great location. I love Omni hotels and this one did not disappoint. Right on the RiverWalk. Upgraded me to a suite overlooking the River (thank you!). It is a big hotel, laid out sort of unusual so take a walk around and get familiar with property otherwise you may get turned around a few times. Valet attendants were very nice and helpful, but if you want to save a few bucks just park across the street for about 1/3 the price. Again the staff here are the best.

Room Tip: unusual layout so walk around and get familiar with the property when you get there.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family