“Very Romantic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Rockwall, TX
“Very Romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

My husband and myself stayed at the Omni for our wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful time. The room was very beautiful, it was smaller than other hotels but the character was so unique. The clerk that checked us in upgraded our room to a river view with a private balcony and that evening when we went back to our room the staff gave us a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered stawberries. The beds are very comfortable! Also the location of the hotel was great. We stayed at the nothern end of the riverwalk right across from the Watermark hotel.

• Liked — The room had this homie feel to it. Lots of character
  • Disliked — Larger tub or shower
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WhatevernRC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

The location of this hotel is great-- it is very centrally located to everything a visitor would want. You step right out onto the riverwalk and all it's restaurants, approx 5-7min walk to the Alamo, and easy access to the VIA bus/trolley system.

My room, #526 was a riverwalk view room with a shared balcony. In the basic riverview rooms, the balcony is shared by about 5 rooms. There are also rooms available which give you a private balcony. The room itself was small to average in size and the bathroom I would characterize as small. In addtion, the style of the room was exposed brick walls and beamed ceilings. All the furniture was in good condition and the carpeting and bedding were also in like-new condtion. Noise from the riverwalk never bothered me; I could hear people talking faintly and music, but it was never a bother to me. This is a six story hotel, so if you think noise will be a problem for you facing the riverwalk, ask for a higher floor.

The lobby is small, yet has the style of a Mexican hacienda I would say. The layout of the hotel is somewhat maze-like and instead of a single bank of elevators to service the whole hotel, the elevators are spread out and your room location determines which one you take. I must also note that the elevator near my room (I think it was the west riverwalk elevator) was always extremeley slow. I think I waited 5 min at one point for the elevator to come.
The hotel pool is located in a small courtyard with palm trees and a small fountain feeds into the pool. The pool hours are 8am-10pm. The way the hotel is set up, there are also rooms that open out onto that courtyard over the pool.
Additionally, guests also have access to the Watermark Hotel spa and fitness center, which is across the street.

There is also a restaurant, Las Canarias and a bar El Colegio at the hotel, which I did not partake of. The restaurant looked lovely though, with outdoor patio dining overlooking the riverwalk.

I loved the location of this hotel and it's style/decor. The rate I paid was very reasonable for the river view accomodations and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Miramar
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

As our daughter was visiting us from the UK we booked 2 King Rooms overlooking the Riverwalk for one night. We wanted a bit of luxury and were prepared to pay the $360 room rate without breakfast. It simply was not worth it. Rooms were quaint but small and had a strange smell.One of the cushions on the bed was dirty. The balcony was shared with 3 other rooms. The towels were poor quality and well used. The button turning the shower flow to the bath didn't work and the toilet broke. I found the staff inefficient. My daughter and I are allergic to feathers. When I called the hotel to tell them this I was kept on hold for 6 minutes and they eventually rang me back 1.5 hours later. Our rooms weren't ready when we got there (fair enough we were early) so they took my mobile number to call when they were ready. The call never came. When we did get in, there were two feather pillows in my daughter's room! When you pay a high rate you expect high standards the Omni did not deliver. Book a suite at the Westin instead it is far more luxurious and much better value.

• Liked — Nice view
  • Disliked — Small & well worn
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

Enjoyed my stay at La Mansion for a quick weekend getaway--first time in San Antonio, so I wanted to stay at a Riverwalk hotel that had an authentic local feel and some history, and this fit the bill. The location is great, on a slightly quieter section of the Riverwalk right next to the bridge to St. Marys St.--so there weren't so many passers-by as there would be on more central sections. There's still some crowd noise in the Riverwalk-facing rooms from people below, but it was bearable.

The lobby isn't that large or distinctive. The layout of the hotel is a little confusing, but you learn it in a couple of trips back and forth to your room. It's kind of an odd combination of courtyard motel and corporate, long-hallway layout. That's probably due to it being re-purposed from a college, but it's also part of the charm. The elevators are painfully slow.

I booked a Riverwalk Ambassador room, which I would highly recommend. I got a peek into some of the standard rooms, and they looked a little cramped, particularly those with double beds. The Ambassador was quite large, a mini-suite really, with king bed [actually set up directly across from the balcony, so you could sit up in bed and look straight out to the Riverwalk view], flat-screen TV, love seat, and armchair plus plenty of room to move around. There were also two doors to the exterior--one a small private balcony, the other a long balcony shared with several other rooms. The furniture was all very comfortable, but overall the color scheme was a tad too brown and could use some freshening up. The architecture of the room was very distinctive, however, with its exposed brick wall and beamed ceiling. All in all, it was a comfortable pad and from the balcony, you could feel you were part of the action without leaving your room.

The restaurant, Las Canarias, was fantastic and quite large. It spills down over three levels--one inside dining room, then a sunken indoor bar area, followed by outdoor seating right out on the Riverwalk. There's a nice variety of selections, all attractively and creatively presented. Very memorable. They also make outstanding [and huge!] margaritas. The service was attentive as well; when the hostess noted we had newspapers and work with us, she moved us to a table with better lighting. The lounge, El Colejo, is a friendly and casual watering hole off the lobby.

As for the tourist areas--of course, you're right on the Riverwalk and it's essential to walk that loop and just experience the unique urban landscaping. It's lined with hotels and restaurants--not that many shops, which I was kind of expecting to see. The pathways are narrow and crowded on a weekend, so if you weren't careful, you might easily end up in the water. I got a peek into a couple of the other hotels in the area--the Watermark, sister property to La Mansion, has a very fussy lobby but a great rooftop pool that La Mansion guests can use; the Grand Hyatt is very '80s; the Westin is strictly corporate chic. La Villetta is a Spanish village with some interesting but expensive craft shops; it's just off the Riverwalk. The Alamo has beautiful grounds and you can either see it quickly or linger if you like. The Menger Hotel bar is a must for a drink in a richly historical lounge.

It's definitely worth it to head over to the Tower of the Americas for the view. You can go up to the lounge and, for the same price as the observation deck, get a drink or snack from a very good menu and see the same view.

The service at La Mansion was swift and friendly. When you're ready to go back to the airport, the hotel car will take you for the same price as a cab if it's available, so be sure to ask the valet.

• Liked — Right in the action and a feel for its location
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank adamunc
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

My wife and I just returned form a weekend trip to San Antonio. We stayed at La Mansion Del Rio and absolutely loved it. The staff was very courteous and friendly. We were originally assigned a room on the 6th floor but asked to be moved down and stayed on the 2nd floor. It was difficult to see the riverwalk from the balcony because of the height. The rooms were exactly the same in every other respect. THe staff were very helpful in finding us a room we liked.

We stayed in a river king room . We didn't find the room either too small or too noisy. I read both of those comments in other reviews. There was some noise but not enough to disturb us. There was a shared balcony but that was the style when the hotel was built. The view from the balcony was great. The bed was very comfortable.

Some of the benefits of staying here would be the outstanding restaurant Los Canarias. We ate here twice. The dinner we had was one of the best meals I have eaten anywhere and we go out fairly often. We also ate the Sunday Brunch and it was fabulous. Both meals were well worth the money. I also liked the fact that the Watermark is across the river and they are sister hotels. You have the use of that hotels facilities. They include an excersise room, pool and hot tub. If you don't have kids I recommend going to the pool here instead of the one on site. The pool is smaller but was much quieter and is on the roof so the view is very nice.

I would say the only thing I didn't like was the slowness of the elevator.

I would recommend to anyone that they stay here when visiting.

• Liked — The convenience of the Riverwalk
  • Disliked — How slow the elevator was
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank woody2662
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

We took our parents and obtained two rooms. The desk clerks were just excellent in handling our needs. The rate we paid was very reasonable. Our rooms were spacious, clean and both had a balcony overlooking a plaza. We were here for our 40th wedding anniversary and everyone bent over backward to please us in every way. The hotel is close to everything you may want to see in San Antonio. This was the best Omni that we have stayed in and will return in the future.

• Liked — Very Helpful in every way
  • Disliked — Cost of the Parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank HoustonTerry_A
devlynne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

Under no circumstances stay at this hotel until they finish the renovations. The incessant banging of hammers gave me the headache of the century. The staff is very nice and they changed my room but it didn't help. They were apologetic but stated that the work could not be stopped and they were sorry for the inconvenience. This hotel should have shut down during the renovations .
The rooms are fine and the food is good but stay away until they finish pounding or you're wasting your money.

Stayed July 2007