“Great Hotel!”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My son and I stayed here in mid-July 2007. I highly recommend this hotel to those who value great service and are willing to pay for it - for the summer time rates are $200+ per night but well worth it!

Great service provided by all who work here!

Great location on the riverwalk as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ugozuna
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Antonio

Reviewed July 11, 2007

Generally our experience was pretty good with a few exceptions...When we started our vacation in San Antonio we stayed at the Westin LaCantera which was a truly "wonderful experience" (see my review!!) so I guess our expectations were high when we decided to close out our trip on the Riverwalk...I had heard good things about this Hotel and was primarily attracted to the location...right across from the Alamo! Well things started off badly when we checked in... when we pulled up to the front of the hotel..the valets were very quick and accomodating but when I walked up to the front desk (which was not busy at the time...) the two clerks up there were engrossed in a conversation and ignored me for several minutes...when I finally spoke up a young girl finally acknowledged me but seemed perturbed that I interrupted her...well anyways..I told her I had a reservation which she looked up for me and I also stated that when I initially made the reservation I had requested a nice atrium view...anyways what got me was she "barked back" in an impatient manner..."YES we know!" Well..that didn't sit too well with me..and finally when she handed over the key I was fuming a bit..but the valet who helped us with our bags was very nice...brought us to our room and and was generally very pleasant! But...the "atrium view" we were promised was catty corner to the atrium...I could barely see the lobby below and needless to say I was kind of iiritated but my wife said to let it go...the room was nice though! Very modern and and clean...the beds were comfortable and I liked the fact that the TVs had audio & video inputs so I could review video of the day!

We opted for the valet parking which was nice..and generally had good experience with it! But I have to say the concierge there expressed pretty much the same customer service skills as the front desk...what's up with this? The valets were great but the staff inside the lobby s*****! Asides from those minor irritations I would say the hotel is a nice value..especially if you request the SAVE rate..the location is perfect...a hop, skip and a jump to the Alamo..and the lobby is beautiful...part of the Riverwalk runs through the lobby!

The hotel pool, which is on the roof is teeny tiny though and was full of children when we went up there...not much of a pool but a nice view of the city... We had room service one night and was generally pleased but the cost of the meals are high..I ordered a pasta kids meal and it was delivered in a bowl that looked like a cup...pretty lame...Next time we'll go out...

The room was fairly quiet and housekeeping was quick and prompt...they had free local papers in the foyer by the elevators and a cafe below that I heard had a pretty decent breakfast buffet which we did not try...we were mainly there to enjoy Seaworld which was about 20 minutes away and the Riverwalk which was right in the backyard....

Highlights: Nice clean rooms with comfortable beds! Friendly valets!

Low points: Front desk clerk had a bad attitude and so did the concierge...

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank trek1500
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I liked that we could walk to the riverwalk. It was definitely close to everything which was a plus! the bed was comfortable and the decor was modern. the carpet in the hallway needs a cleaning because I could smell a lot of smoke odor. There were a lot of kids at the hotel during our stay (just 2 nights). The kids were very rowdy at the pool. I did not like the pool. It was at the rooftop but it was very small for such a big hotel. It was just too loud and crowded. NOW, I did like the gym . I love their treadmill. It had a TV attached to it. GREAT!!!! The hotel was okay, nothing to brag about. The only reason I stayed there was that I received a great rate at $100 a night.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank mydaisy
Reviewed June 18, 2007

My wife and I spent June 16th-18th at the Hyatt and loved it. The location is wonderful since it is directly on the riverwalk and so many attractions are within only a few minutes of walking. Our room (2nd floor, actually the fourth) was a king with a riverwalk view. We found the room to be very spacious and the bed very comfortable. There was some noise, but we found it only a minor annoyance. We had a great view of the Spurs victory parade. Parking is expensive in the garage ($21 a day) and there is no free wireless internet access. The hotel staff was courteous and houskeeping did an excellent job. A trip to the fitness center was fun with great equipment and free headphones for your workout. The pool is small, but the view from the roof is nice. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and hope to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Raptortx1
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I stayed in the Hyatt Regency in San Antonio in June 2007. First the positives (which were many). The hotel is almost literally across the street from the Alamo, and many rooms have a view of this historic icon. A fountain that flows into the San Antonio River (the Riverwalk) is on the inside lower lobby area. The hotel spills out into a main area of the Riverwalk, and has wonderful restaurants and bars within a less than 5-minute walk of the hotel. The rooms are luxurious and spacious and offer ample space for fun or work.

The negatives are somewhat usual for a hotel of this class. No free high speed Internet ($10.76/day). Parking was higher than I prefer to pay ($21/day for self-park, $25/day for valet - both plus tax), but about average with co-workers were paying at the Marriott Rivercenter and Hilton hotels in downtown San Antonio. I had some problems with a lamp in my room that took two requests to fix, plus upon check-out, I was charged for 11 days of valet parking (I was only at the hotel 7 nights) and was charged for double occupancy for 7 nights, when it should have only been on two. (To the hotel's credit, when I brought it to the attention of the front desk, it was corrected immediately; to the hotel's detriment, others from my work had similar problems with their bills). The only other negative was street noise (I had a city-view room). While it was the third floor of rooms, it was actually the fifth floor of the hotel, and I could hear horns honking from San Antonio Spurs fans celebrating victories after Games 1, 2 and 3 of the NBA Finals (glad I checked out before the sweep in Game 4!). Also, the restaurant in the hotel was overpriced, with average food (at least at breakfast; I never ate lunch there). A better breakfast experience could be found at the Zuni Grill, a two-minute walk along the Riverwalk to the left, as you exit the hotel.

All and all the positives outweighed the negatives. Would I stay here again? Absolutely. It is probably (other than the Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel) the best hotel along the Riverwalk. I'll just be sure to pack my wireless card for my laptop and be sure to check my bill for any discrepancies!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank Arlington-Driver
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I just returned from an anniversay weekend at the Hyatt Riverwalk in San Antonio. After reading many trip advisor feedback postings, we decided on the Hyatt. We were not dissapointed. Upon arrival, we reqeusted an upgrade for a river view room. We were told that there were none available but that they would like to provide us a bottle of champagne to help celebrate our anniversary. The room was very nice and clean. The location on the Riverwalk was perfect.

The only negatives..the water did not get quite hot enough and the air conditioner not quite cold enough. Not uncomfortable though.

If your looking for a great place for dinner, try Boudros prime rib. Out of this world!!!!!

1  Thank anniversay22
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We paid extra for a river view room that you could barely see the river. The hotel staff were not very helpful, the two times I went to the Concierge desk there was no one to be found so I helped myself to some maps and down the riverwalk we went. The hotel is in a good location but so are 20 others in the area. You do not need to stay on the riverwalk to enjoy the riverwalk. The room had a damp feel for the two nights we were there and the air condition barely kept it cool. The bathroom drains in the sink and tub were very slow. The room was not very clean and on the second day the maids only made one of the two beds and the towels were slopily thrown in the bathroom. The pool is not worth making the trip to the roof for, it is very small and not well maintained. We arrived at this hotel after two nights at the Westin La Cantera and we should of stayed with the westin. The Valet parking is $27 a night and the attendants were rude on top of that. On the day we checked out I called for a bellhop to help with our bags. After 30 min waiting, I made two trips down the elevator with our bags and never did see a bellhop. I do not recommend this hotel. Chris - Austin, TX

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family