“Great place!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
austin, texas
“Great place!”
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I just returned from an anniversay weekend at the Hyatt Riverwalk in San Antonio. After reading many trip advisor feedback postings, we decided on the Hyatt. We were not dissapointed. Upon arrival, we reqeusted an upgrade for a river view room. We were told that there were none available but that they would like to provide us a bottle of champagne to help celebrate our anniversary. The room was very nice and clean. The location on the Riverwalk was perfect.

The only negatives..the water did not get quite hot enough and the air conditioner not quite cold enough. Not uncomfortable though.

If your looking for a great place for dinner, try Boudros prime rib. Out of this world!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pretty pricey
1 Thank anniversay22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We paid extra for a river view room that you could barely see the river. The hotel staff were not very helpful, the two times I went to the Concierge desk there was no one to be found so I helped myself to some maps and down the riverwalk we went. The hotel is in a good location but so are 20 others in the area. You do not need to stay on the riverwalk to enjoy the riverwalk. The room had a damp feel for the two nights we were there and the air condition barely kept it cool. The bathroom drains in the sink and tub were very slow. The room was not very clean and on the second day the maids only made one of the two beds and the towels were slopily thrown in the bathroom. The pool is not worth making the trip to the roof for, it is very small and not well maintained. We arrived at this hotel after two nights at the Westin La Cantera and we should of stayed with the westin. The Valet parking is $27 a night and the attendants were rude on top of that. On the day we checked out I called for a bellhop to help with our bags. After 30 min waiting, I made two trips down the elevator with our bags and never did see a bellhop. I do not recommend this hotel. Chris - Austin, TX

Villa Park, CA
Reviewed May 19, 2007

This is a very average hotel in a great location. This Hyatt is built so that rooms on one side of the hall face outdoors, but the rooms on the other side of the hall only face the interior of the hotel, down to the lobby. I requested a "Cityview" room but when I arrived was given a "Lobbyview". This room was extremely dark and claustrophobic with absolutely no glimpse of daylight. Additionally, our room was the worst of the lobby view rooms because it was situated in a corner of the second floor with a large tiled area (outside our room and the one next door) that is barricaded by huge planters to form a indoor patio/terrace type thing for private functions. So, my sliding door opened up onto this public patio-type thing and didn't even have a view of the lobby, waterfalls, etc.

Furthermore, people on our end of the hall used this terrace thing to cut through to the elevators so we had noise and passersby, as well as bright lights, RIGHT outside this sliding GLASS door 24/7. Thank goodness there wasn't a function scheduled on that terrace!

Our room was another negative. Clean and attractive, however extremely small (especially for an end room). The room appeared to be some sort of "convertible" room that could either be used as a sleeping room or a hospitality room adjacent to that indoor terrace I described above. GET THIS -- the bed was a MURPHY BED and we were sleeping about one FOOT, if that, off the ground. Plus, it was only a DOUBLE bed (I had requested a king). Also, there was track lighting above the bed that could not be switched off completely -- only turned with a dimmer switch to the dimmest setting. In the dark of night, those lights still glowed!

I brought all of these issues to the front desk's attention the second day of my four day stay -- the noise, the lack of privacy, the Murphy bed, the lack of a city view and king as requested. I felt OK with the attitude of the front desk manager, although he told that there were no rooms such as the kind I wanted available. He didn't offer anything but was sincere enough that I decided not to get too worked up.

I wrote to the manager upon my return home and received a return email fairly quickly along with a a one night credit on my charge card, which I thought was an appropriate response.

In my letter, I told the manager that when I was growing up "Hyatt Regency" was the creme de la creme -- a truly upscale chain. Now, it's just another Hilton or Marriott.

I've stayed at the Marriott (the newer of the two on the Riverwalk) and would definitely choose it over the Hyatt should I return.

The Riverwalk is amazing and I highly recommend experiencing it.

• Liked — Location, location,location and quick morning coffee service (Starbucks) downstairs
  • Disliked — Room, general design/layout of hotel, noise level
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank jw92869
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed May 17, 2007

We just returned from the Hyatt Regency San Antonio and were very pleased. We went down with our 2 kids and found the hotel to be fairly kid friendly. We had reserved 2 rooms and requested them to be adjoining and we were delighted that this wasn't a problem so we had 2 connecting rooms for our stay. Our room had a great view of the Alamo and they had floor to ceiling windows which made it really nice.
We spent a lot of time at the hotel pool and our kids loved it, the only complaint about the pool is that it was really small. On the website it appears much bigger but it wasn't a big deal because the kids are small but if they had been older they may not have liked it as much.
The rooms were clean and modern, the grand beds are awesome! There are so many dining options within walking distance we only ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast one time.
Overall this was a good experience and would stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of the Pool
4 Thank Omahahawk
mechanicsville, va
Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt on May 5-8, 2007. I booked the hotel directly on the 800#, used the discount code from the SACVB website. This rate beat any I found on the internet. The room was 2 doubles, standard. Very roomy, clean. We were on the 5th floor and our room overlooked the Alamo. The pool on the roof offered wonderful day and night views of the city. They have a wonderful gym and hot tub on the roof. The Hyatt is right in the middle of the action, we walked everywhere on the Riverwalk. Valet parking is the way to go at the Hyatt. Parking is expensive everywhere in San Antonio, so be prepared. Breakfast in the hotel restaruarnt is expensive- 16.95 for the buffet, but includes all food and drink. Children and Seniors are offered a discount rate. We had "brunch" at the buffett every morning and saved up for dinner at the Riverwalk restarurants. Quite a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Fluffy beds
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank tball925
cold in ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2007

I stayed here May 4th and May 5th in town for my son's air force basic training. I was by myself (female) and had no problem driving back and forth from this hotel to the Lackland base. Used the valet which was always prompt - yeah it was expensive but most big city hotels require valet so I didn't think it was a big deal. Was a great location on the Riverwalk. Picked this htoel for that reason so my son and I could go shopping at the Riverwalk mall, walk the Riverwalk, crash in the room, visit the Alamo. All Hyatt personnel were frinedly and polite. Great stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of valet
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank onlytravelsouth
Toronto
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We arrived at the Hyatt at 12:10 am after a long day of travelling. We had not eaten in many hours. Upon checking in we asked if we could get any kind of food and were told that the restaurant had closed at 12:00am and they could not give us any food at all. Not even a cracker.

The lobby interior is dated and not well kept. The room was on the small side and the parking was far away and expensive.

We asked for another bottle of wine for the mini bar and were told that housekeeping was closed and we could not get anything from them either until the morning.

The phone in our room was not working and we were not allowed to use a phone at the front desk to make a call while we were waiting for the engineer. I was directed to the pay phone.

A very nice security guard overheard my interaction with the very rude front desk staff and offered me his cell phone which I used to call the Westin Hotel. I was able to get a room there for the blaance of my 5 night stay. I had to go to the manager to insist that I not be charged a cancellation fee on my reservation.

Would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The Westin was $50 per night cheaper and absolutely first class and wonderful.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the front desk staff and the dirty outdated lobby
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business