“Great property, but they sure put the squeeze on you.”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Haven, Conn.
“Great property, but they sure put the squeeze on you.”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

PLEASE NOTE: THIS REVIEW WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED UNDER "HYATT PLACE IN SAN ANTONIO." I HAVE ASKED FOR THAT REVIEW TO BE REMOVED.

I'll give the Hyatt Regency San Antonio credit where credit is due: It's an impressive property in an excellent location. It boasts a soaring atrium and attractive, clean rooms. But what a rip-off!

If I'm paying $219 a night for the most basic room, I do not expect to be nickle-and-dimed. I thought they were joking when I found out about the $10-a-day charge for wireless access. And that bottle of water in my room cost $5 -- not $1 or even $2, which would have been reasonable, but $5 -- more than a gallon of gasoline costs.

I stayed recently at $25-a-night hotels in the remote highlands of Vietnam that offered free wireless, even though it was doubtless much more expensive to provide. And they could have extorted us for water, since the stuff that comes out of the tap is practically poison. But they didn't.

I suppose I shouldn't be bothered by this because, like many of the Hyatt Regency SA's guests, I stayed there on the corporate dime. But for some reason it aggravated me all that much more that they were trying to squeeze me for every possible penny of my company's money.

There are lots of hotels in San Antonio within a block or so of the Alamo and Riverwalk, and many of them deliver far more charm than the Hyatt Regency without treating their guests like human milch cows. I would strongly recommend looking into them.

2 Thank edcro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Haven, Conn.
Reviewed January 29, 2010

If I'm paying $219 a night for the most basic room, I do not expect to be nickle-and-dimed to death. I thought they were joking when I asked about wireless access and they told me about the $10 a day charge. And that bottle of water waiting for you in my room cost $5.

I stayed recently at $25-a-night hotels in the remote highlands of Vietnam where wireless was free, even though it was doubtless much more expensive to provide. And they could have extorted us for water, since the stuff that comes out of the tap is practically poison. But they didn't.

2 Thank edcro
west texas
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I came to attend a student convention with 22 high school kids. My students were obviously NOT welcomed in the hotel and the check in services were grossly understaffed and ill planned.I agree that the location is in the heart of downtown and therefore convenient, however, we were booked for triple and quadruple occupancy and given rooms with only one bed. Finally received blowup mattresses late in the evening. Always in the past, blocks of rooms were assigned to keep students in close proximity to one another and their sponsors. This hotel put our group on 3 different floors. Students were held on the bus & not allowed inside until the sponsors could hand them a key to go directly to their rooms. I was traveling with high school students. On departure, we were told to have students wait in 1 of three ballrooms, not in the Lobby, or outside while completing checkout. Their system went down and I was told I would receive an itemized bill by that afternoon - 2 days later I still have received nothing. Only after exerting significant complaints did I receive a small ($20/night) break on the room prices since our reservation (sent in November for a January occupancy) was not appropriately filled. Do NOT bring a group of young people to this hotel!!! Our group was complimented many times by the military personnel who were staying at the hotel the same weekend.

1 Thank WestTexasIronlady
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Very nice atrium style hotel with a rooftop pool(!!) and very nice rooms. The location is the best on the River Walk. (Part of the river goes inside the hotel)

Nothing comes close to how easy it is to walk to restaurants and the best pub right next door. Breakfast was way over priced in my opinion, but whatever... if I'm in San Antonio again, I will stay here for sure.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Hotel was a bit overpriced for the value. The coffee shop had weird hours; the lobby gets congested; the beds are VERY firm; and you really need to request a river or Alamo view because if you don't you'll be looking at rooftops with trash all over them; the pool is very small, also. However, the location is Fantastic - right on the Riverwalk and very close to downtown and the Alamo, and the rooms were clean and well-maintained. Needless to say, we won't be staying here again should we come back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank DKB983
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed December 15, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel with glass elevators and large rooms with beautiful views of either Alamo or Riverwalk. Lots of fountains and sound of running water is very relaxing. Hotel staff was pleasant. Rooms were large and comfortable. Beds were perfect.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Diego CA
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My sister and I stayed for four nights - this was our annual holiday get-away trip together. The hotel staff were some of the best we have ever encountered. They went out of their way to get answers for us and were all very nice. The location was terrific - we had a room with a view of the river and then down the hallway we could peek out and see a view of The Alamo. We were close to everything in the River Walk area. Food in the hotel was excellent, plus there was a plethora of restaurants within walking distance right on the river. The view from the rooftop pool was amazing and for a summer trip would be great for relaxing and swimming. A tip for older travelers, be prepared to traverse stairs as they are everywhere.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends