“San Antonio September 8-11 2005”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #17 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2005

We got lucky and found a code ( on trip advisor) for a cheap rate at The Hyatt on The Riverwalk...we had a great location for doing the tourist things in that particular area. King Riverview Room at 189.00 per night
The hotel was very nice and the friendliest staff we have encountered anywhere.
The Chaps restaurant in the hotel has pretty good food but the prices are not "inexpensive".
We had dinner one night at The Little Rhein Steak House and the food was very good. ..expensive.
The Jazz at The Landing is wonderful...right inside The Hyatt
the restaurants on The Riverwalk were all very busy after 7:30PM so get there early or expect to wait. The steak house took a reservation for our group(5)
The barge ride was a nice way to see the riverwalk and then have some idea of what you'd like to see further
The LaVillita area is quaint but not very spectacular
The Alamo is a must see and try to watch the free movie...history lesson...
The shops around The Alamo are nice and The RiverCenter Mall is in a nice setting but it is after all "only another mall".
All in all we enjoyed our stay in San Antonio and will return...
One major thought: if you have any walking limitations this Riverwalk area may not be for you...the surfaces are very uneven, the pathway is narrow and the amount of steps and stairs is something to consider.

13  Thank jtamchay
Write a ReviewReviews (3,268)

Reviewed August 23, 2005

The Hyatt was a nice hotel located on the riverwalk. It was located close to the Alamo and Ripley's and the wax museum. The lobby was nice, the room was nice, and the staff was friendly. Thanks to the reviews I read on tripadvisor I learned about the discount code and got the room for a much better rate than was offered anywhere else. Even Hyatt didn't tell me about this discount code and seemed surprised that I had a discount code. The riverwalk wasn't what I expected. It was dirty smelly water with nothing but restaurants and bars on both sides. The parking garage across the street from the hotel was $16 per day but the garage just around the corner was much cheaper.

Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank thetripman
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I checked into this hotel after a horrible experience at the St. Anthony-A Wyndham Historic Hotel (see my review there). As bad as my experience was at the Wyndham, the Hyatt was a wonderful haven. The service from the moment I walked through the door was very attentive. I had a spacious king overlooking the alamo. The large foyer area was tiled and contained the closet and bathroom to the left. The bathroom had a granite sink top. The bed was stylish and comfortably soft. There was also a large desk and a leather chair with ottoman and side table. The bed area was carpeted. All of the furnishings were new.

I had a problem with my television remote and a new one was brought to me within 10 minutes. Also, I had a fax and the bellman retrieved it from the front desk and brought it up to me. The back of the hotel opens to the riverwalk so it is full of activity at all hours and feels very safe.

The most inconvenient aspect of the hotel is that the self-parking is across the street and costs $16. Evern with this, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank angeldiva72
Reviewed August 20, 2005

Spent Saturday night here. This place was absolutely wonderful! The rooms are without a doubt.......clean, cozy, modern.....super! I can't say one wrong thing about this place at all. We didn't swim in the pool which was on the rooftop and the pool is more like a small pool you would find on a carnival ship. We ate Sunday breakfast here that had a buffet.....they made omelets, crepes, eggs, benedict, anything you could wish for a breakfast....price was 15.00 for that. On this particular day....they had all the fountains drained........they really are beautiful though. I would be willing to stay here everytime.....it's so conveinent to the Alamo, Rivercenter Mall, horse carriage riding at nights, wax museums, restaurants....loved it!

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank clairelong
Reviewed August 14, 2005

My stay at the Hyatt was completely satisfactory. I was allowed to check in very early, and moved immediately (upon request) away from the dreaded room near the ice machine. My room was good-sized and beautifully furnished. One hint: Unless you need them, don't book two double beds. The king rooms have better space and an ottoman to go with the lovely leather chair. Another hint: Ask for a room with an external window, rather than a view of the atrium.

The bathroom was well laid-out with all the usual amenities. The closet had real hangers (thank you!) and adequate space.

Two room service meals and one meal in the Chaps restaurant were very good. All of our conference refreshments were excellent, too--nice selection of fruit, good coffee, muffins, etc. All in all, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank Janeite
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Just recently visited San Antonio and had a BLAST! I checked other reviews and found a discount code-SAVEWS. The room price went from $169 per night to $99 per night.

This is a very nice hotel that's centrally located. Everything is in walking distance including the Alamo, Rivercenter Mall, the Riverwalk and gift shops. You have no need for a car, so save gas by walking.

I have checked the site since returning and the above mentioned code is now listed as $139 per night which is still better than $169.
Check in and check out was slow, but manageable. Valets were extra busy and we had to wait for our vehicle as it was on a first come first serve check out basis. The elevators were slow, but I think it was mainly because a lot of people were checking out at the same time.

No other problems. Rooms/bathrooms were clean. Be sure not to touch the mini bar as it is sensored and will charge you if you move anything. It doesnt matter if its eaten or not, so hands off to avoid the charge. CASA RIO's is a good place for authentic mexican food, but make reservations because they fill up quickly. Enjoy your trip!

Stayed: July 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

This is a great hotel in a great location, right on the riverwalk, steps away from the Alamo.
Parking can get a little messy. If you choose self-parking ($ 16), go park across the street even before checking in.
Well-furnished rooms. Great work-out facility. Very happy with the discounted price ($ 99).

• Stayed: July 2005