“Good Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“Good Location”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We chose this hotel for it's location and weren't disappointed. It's right on the Riverwalk. This hotel is very crowded and loud. The rooms were somewhat small and there were no upgrades available to purchase. It's very close to the Alamo and we watched the fireworks from the street corner. For convenience, we opted to valet park the car and felt very safe walking around. Check-in was quick and the representative made us feel welcomed. They have a great hotel restaurant called Q on the River that's worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked room with Alamo view and breakfast buffet for two.

Pros: Large lobby/atrium. Right on the River Walk and a stones throw away from the Alamo. Close proximity to a lot of restaurants. Great view of the Alamo from room with Alamo view. Great view of city from "roof-top pool". Clean and well equipped gym. Spacious rooms and comfy beds. Hostess at the "Q" restaurant was knowledgeable and friendly and the breakfast buffet was great. The room service was fast and food prepared as requested. They have a bar, Einsteins bagel shop and an ice cream shop as well.

Cons: (personal experience) Pool was small and not good for kids, because there were only adults that seemed to be there for busines. My two boys were being considerate, respectful and quiet, but for the money I spent, I expected my boys to be able to let loose and enjoy themselves. I understand that the other guests wanted to sun-bathe and read a book, but come on, it's a pool, not a library. The room had LOTS of dust on drapes and around/behind arm chair and other furniture. Trash, hair and a ticket stub from a ball that took place a month prior, under the cushion of arm chair. No free WiFi in room and when purchased for approximately $15, WiFi was too slow to load a Yahoo home page when it says it can stream Netflix (never worked). Parking was $25 and the key-card kiosk worked on the first try and didn't work for me for the duration of my stay. It was a embarrassing holding up traffic and having to wait nearly 5 minutes for an attendant or valet to show. Was told the kiosk was down, but it worked well for the attendants and other guests, like the person who was behind me that made it out of the garage immdeiately after I was let out. I was reimbursed approximately $60 for the parking and WiFi inconvenience, but the dust issue was never addressed.

I am not a nit-picky type of person, but when I went to pull the drapes to enjoy the Alamo view and noticed that there was a great amount of dust starting to float around, I had to inspect further and realized that housekeeping hasn't vacuumed or dusted behind the arm chair and furniture. Not what I expected from an upscale and high-priced hotel. I would stay again if I can get it for a better deal, but the Hotel Indigo is right next door for a little over $100 a night after tax, with free WiFi and valet service for $25!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FOS_671
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Hyatt Regency is easy to/from the airport, and is a great location for business travelers. Walk right out of the hotel onto the the riverwalk, across the street to the alamo, and a short walk to downtown. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the staff provides outstanding service - very impressed!

Room Tip: Look for higher floors for better views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Leah M
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The location is great for San Antonio--right near the Alamo, right on the Riverwalk, good places to eat and visit in walking distance. Well-maintained, clean, beautiful property, as typical for Hyatt standards. Comfortable, spacious rooms with great bedding and clean bathrooms. Service was attentive and friendly. It's an upscale hotel with upscale prices, but there is an Einstein Brothers Bagel Shop inside for quick and reasonable breakfast. Swimming pool on the roof is decent length for lap swimming, but one edge is totally stepped, so you can't flip turn off it. A great stay for a business trip. One disappointment was that basic internet (which you typically have to pay for) is very slow (at least on the 7th floor) to the point of being frustrating. I don't know if it got better if you paid for the higher data rates.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were escaping the SXSW craziness of Austin and must admit was wondering if we were walking into the same thing when entering the lobby of the Hyatt Regency. Located on the River Walk, the lobby is in the middle of a huge atrium with many of the rooms on higher floors overlook. The noise level is a little intense but we were given a room on the 11th floor and facing the street. Ah, heaven. The room itself is comfortable. I don't know if it was because we were on a corner location but the bathroom was a bit tight. Totally updated with flat screens and Ipod player/clock. But what really did it for me were the signs posted on each floor in evenings located by the elevators, specifying 'Quiet Hours' after 9 p.m. Bless you Hyatt Regency for taking a stand. Why is it that the walls between rooms are sound-proof but if anyone is standing outside by your door they may as well be speaking in an outdoor voice inside your room? All I know is, gauging the amount of children at the hotel both big and small, it was effective. The pool is on the top level, not very large but large enough. Also a bar with a bartender . The chaises are wood slatted which are not very comfortable after awhile but serviceable enough and truthfully I don't think there was an accident when choosing these but more of a way to keep things moving on a deck that cannot handle a large amount of people. Terrific fitness room by the way and of a good size that you don't feel as if you're invading anyone else's space. A candy/ice cream shop and Einstein Bagel shop on the lower level. A great place for families and centrally located to along the River Walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dancer45
Cincinnati
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A co-worker and I stayed here for a business conference. The room was spacious and comfortable, but we had an adjoining room not too far from the elevator. So, I found our room to be a little noisy. As a seasoned traveller I should have known that an adjoining room was bad news but I travel with my earplugs so I am generally okay. Well, on the third night of our stay the noise coming from the lobby/bar area was really loud and the couple in the room next to us were having an argument, we could hear every word through the adjoining door and they woke me up at 1 am even with earplugs! I know the hotel can't control the people staying in their rooms, but my best advice would be to request a room away from the elevator and not an adjoining. Besides that, the amenities of the hotel and the location were excellent. Would visit again assuming I could request a specific room to avoid the noise level.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank vlagroupie
Kingwood, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Hotel is a great hotel! While not cheap, it is not outrageously expensive either. There are many amenities and the staff is super friendly. Our bell man gave us suggestions regarding the hotel itself. The location is right on the River Walk where great restaurants are very close. The breakfast buffet is outstanding but expensive. When we booked the hotel, we included the breakfast buffet for another $10 which was well worth it for 2 adult breakfasts. Parking is expensive but the service is great. We were waiting for our vehicle when it had not arrived within 10 min, one of the staff members asked if they could help and we told him that we were waiting for our car. The staff member ran ( actually sprinted ) to go get our car. Wow! That was service. The room nicely furnished with a nice flat screen TV. The beds were doubles so they were a little small. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom which is one of our pet pives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family