“Good location- poor service”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay on the Riverwalk for a night to celebrate my Birthday. We actually live about 30 minutes from downtown but didn't want to worry about driving. We got the room from Priceline so by no means did I think we'd have the best room in the house. I wasn't upset that we ended up in a Double Bed room instead of our requested King....that's what you get for going with a discount site. (keep that in mind for any families traveling on spring break- if you request a room with 2 beds on priceline...you're probably not going to get it.) The room was nice and clean. They offer shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The location is fantastic - you can see the Alamo from the front door and the Back doors open up to the Riverwalk. It's an Embassy Suites type feel as the bar and lobby are in the middle and rooms overlook that area.
We had dinner on the Riverwalk and came back to the hotel. The elevator wasn't working so we used the side stairs ( which a homeless wandering around / sleeping on..eek - kind of creepy). When we got back to our room we found that our mini fridge that I was excited to put my left overs in didn't work. Then we found out our TV didn't work- when we went to call down to the front desk the phone didn't work. It wasn't that big of a deal because we were only there for one night. What really bothered me was when we went to check-out and the lady asked how my stay was I told her about all the things that were wrong with the room. She simply said "hmm...I'm sorry about that" and walked away. I honestly didn't want anything for free, but would have at least appreciated a bit more concern or at least an offer of how to make it right. It really wasn't good customer service. In general I'm not a fan of the airport kiosk style check-in/check-out concept - it really takes away from the personalized service I expect from a nice hotel. They didn't know it was a special stay for us because we didn't really talk to anyone they just handed us our keys. It's probably great for people traveling on business but not so much for the rest of us. I'm more of a customer service kind of person...so if you are too- I'd suggest staying somewhere else as there are several other great hotels on the river. If you only care about location- this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Alamo or Riverwalk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank April G
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Antonio

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Definitely a first class hotel. This was a great place to stay at. Comfortable beds, charming employees, great lemonade, warm showers, an awesome landmark from great restaurants. I recommend this hotel to anyone coming to San Antonio.

Room Tip: Very quiet atmosphere all around. Noise is nothing to complain about
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is fabulous. The location on the Riverwalk could not be any better and the service by the hotel staff was wonderful. The whole hotel is beautiful and luxurious. The room was very upscale, clean, comfortable and modern. The only on-site dining I tried was the Einstein Bagel; not because the other places didn't look great, just because there were so mnay wonderful places to choose from just outside the door to the hotel. Everything about this hotel was awesome and I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room, but the elebavator is glass, so stay on the first floor if you don't...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Definitely better than some Hyatt hotels I have stayed in, the rooms are not so bad but could do with some general remodelling. My room overlooked the internal lobby and from the 10th floor this was not too bad with views directly out of the lobby glass facade onto Riverwalk, but many of the rooms do not have such a good view of the interior and can be noisy.

Staff generally good, friendly, especially in the restaurant for breakfast - really great breakfast is offered and worth the usual high price if your rate does not include. Can't complain!

Location is superb directly onto the Riverwalk and a stone's throw from everything you could possibly want in downtown San Antonio

If the sun is out, check out the rooftop pool terrace, this was a real find for my coworkers and I for a relaxing beer and catch up with some sunshine beating down - really warm pool - you can take a dip in the middle of winter no problem. Just head to the 11th floor and follow the signs!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Once you make your way to the river walk (which is actually quite a pain) the location of this Hyatt is great. You have to take two separate elevators and either stairs or an escalator? Poorly designed. I attended a conference here and the banquet servers were all very pleasant.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Fast check-in and fast check-out, stayed here for 3 nights for a conference. It´s a good location near the convention centre, they have a small coffee place for a quick bite, it´s tiny so dont expect to have your meetings there. Walking distance from a Walgreens and a CVS in case you need to buy milk or a snack.

Room Tip: Ask one with a view, our was looking inwards
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great Business Hotel directly at the Riverwalk and only 5 minutes from the convention centre. Great staff, nice rooms and a superb bar serving excellent food and great drinks. Very clean place, folks at the reception extremely helpfull. Room for improvement - breakfast facilities are too small, specially when a conference is ongoing

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo