“Outstanding Location and Staff”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I really liked this property. I travel extensively and it's been quite some time since I've encountered a staff as helpful, courteous, and friendly as the people at this hotel. Someone is doing a good job of ingraining a consistent culture of customer service. I believe the hotel was recently renovated, but to me everything seemed a bit 70ish in look and feel (walls, furniture, bed, TV, etc.). Not ugly, just a bit dated. I also thought the bath towels were kind of worn. That said, the place was clean and the room was quiet, comfortable, and spacious. You absolutely cannot beat the location. The Alamo is about 100 yards directly outside the front door of the hotel (some rooms overlook it), and the riverwalk is directly outside the back doors of the hotel. The Riverwalk is a blast with great food, shopping, and entertainment. I'd definitely recommend this property. Superior staff and location.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank cinncitraveler
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Antonio

Reviewed March 12, 2008

We picked the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk because it had a great on-line price, compared to the other possibile choices (Marriotts, Westin, Contessa, etc.) .

Plusses: Great location
Large Room
Very nice staff

Minuses: The bed was not comfortable. Compared to the Marriott and Westin beds, it was hard and not cushioned at all. The sheets seemed starched (they made noise when they moved). This alone would keep me from staying here (or any other Hyatt) again.

The shower was hot and strong, but not adjustable in any way. If you don't like a pins and needles type shower stream, you wouldn't like this shower.

Not enough accessible outlets. To charge phone, camera and Blackberry, needed to use the outlets in the bathroom.

No free WiFi anywhere in the hotel. Most of the big hotels charge for WiFi in the rooms, but the lobby is usually free.

Other comments: The hotel has no real lobby. In the registration desk area, there are a few chairs, and across the atrium, there is a bar and a restaurant, but no place to just sit and lounge. The entire atrium area is too square and too much concrete (70s design, I guess). We walked through some of the other local hotels and liked the Westin lobby best (more intimate and upscale).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sf7307
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I stayed here recently on business. It is a beautiful property with a lovely atrium that is nice to sit and relax in. It seems to be on a great area of the riverwalk, though I didn't spend a lot of time there. Additionally, it is right across the street from the alamo, which would really appeal to tourists.

For business, I would just say it is okay. The thing that bothered me most was the poor wireless. I understand that the thing to do is charge an additioanl $10 a day for wireless. I don't like this, but I get it. if you are going to charge, however, you should at least provide a decent product! I stayed on the seventh floor and the signal was so poor I couldn't even mainstream music, let alone the videos I needed to review for work! Even after the hotel gave me some sort of "booster," it was subpar. Still couldn't mainstream, but at least I didn't get bumped off. Additionally, you have to BUY a "special additional wireless" in addition to the regular wireless to gain any access in the conference rooms. This is ridiculous!

The room was decent. The carpet was strange and the television was cheap and small. the best thing for sure was the floor to ceiling window! loved that. Made it easier to stay in my room for several hours working. The bedding left something to be desired, though. The sheets were a bit ratty.

Room service was great. Not too expensive and very good. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The valet (though expensive) was great. One gentleman even ran back to my car to get my sunglasses I had forgotten. I just mentioned I would go to my car and he wouldn't hear of it! very kind.

My last complaint is the lack of coffee available during the day and evening. I don't really like to pay $10 for room service coffee when I am not ordering food, so I inquired where I might get some coffee in the building. Apparently, I could only get it at the bar. That's fine. I went to the lobby bar and was told they don't brew coffee after 5pm. are you serious? they offered to make me a latte. It was honestly the worst latte I have ever drank! Oh well.

Overall, great property. They just need to work on some of the amenities.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank dcm58
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This hotel is fairly new and is really beautiful inside. It is a bit difficult to find if you are not familiar with the area. The hotel bar is very pleasant and also turns into a coffee bar in the mornings. The service and rooms are average. I was disappointed that they did not upgrade my room even though the hotel wasn't that busy. As a Hyatt member, they normally do that when there are rooms availiable. I would recommend the Marriott over the Hyatt in this city.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Loved the Hyatt Regency San Antonio. From the wonderful location - on the Riverwalk and right across from the Alamo - to the Comfortable Beds - everything was great. Try the great eggs benedict for breakfast in the restaurant.

Great Shower and Plenty of Hot Water & Good Water Pressure.

If you want to save money and buy your wine or make drinks in your room, thefre is a liquor store right on the corner about a 1/2 block away...

Valets, front desk staff and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for your trip to San Antonio

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2008

Business meeting for 3 days.
Room ok but showing age.
Mold in shower area walls.
Lobby was nice and great location.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Located right in the middle of the "river's bend" on the river walk, it is well positioned for a lot of fun. The rooms' motif is very classy and contemporary and the service is above par. My wife and I really enjoyed the hotel top to bottom. This Hyatt is a terrific vacation spot for the family or a couples get away.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple