“loved every minute of it”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #8 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
texas
“loved every minute of it”
Reviewed July 15, 2006

Our family stayed here for 3 nights and had so much fun! We went to Seaworld for two days and were back to the resort by 3 or 4 p.m. each day so we could enjoy it! There were many families but the river and pools were not crowded. There is something for everyone at this resort. Bikes, volleyball, playground, nature trails, float up bar in the river, ping pong tables, hayrides, smores every evening. Our room was extremely clean, and I am very particular. The kids loved eating at the poolside bar. The general store they have also has sandwiches, pizza, burgers, donuts in the morning, breakfast tacos, etc. I thought the prices were reasonable for a resort, hey, you're on vacation, enjoy yourself. A friend recommended that we stay here and we are so happy that we did. You will not be disappointed if you come here for a vacation. On the day we were checking out we went to Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch (one mile from Hyatt Hill Country Resort) and listened to a 90 minute "time share" presentation. It was very low pressure. We got day passes to use their beautiful pool, spa, and lazy river and $175 gift certificate to use toward our bill at Hyatt Hill Country Resort. I wouldn't have done the presentation but we were checking out that day anyway and $175 also swayed me. When I asked Hill Country for a late check out since we were visiting the other property, they happily gave us until 2:00. The kids had fun on their lazy river! It was much faster and I believe there was only one other couple there with us. The "rambling river" at Hyatt Hill Country was so nice and shaded, the kids never wore sunscreen. The Wild Oak Ranch is fairly new and not shaded at all.

All in all, I would say that this was one of our most enjoyable vacations because our kids were active and so happy every minute. They never watched TV or even took out the gameboys for 4 days!!! Have fun at the Hyatt Hill Country, we certainly did and look forward to going back next summer!!

5 Thank tangal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Reviewed July 15, 2006

Overall: This was our first visit here, and found it a great property with lots of amenities and lots to do for parents and kids! Driving up to the property brought back memories of childhood trips to summer camp (but grown-up style!). We really liked the secluded feel and rustic style of the property and grounds.

Service: The valets and bellmen were prompt, professional, informative and courteous. They offered directions to anywhere we wanted to go, and our car was always ready and sitting out front by the time we got down stairs. And after checking in, our bags were brought to our room promptly. Very nice.

Service was not as seamless with the front desk personnel. We were not "greeted" upon arrival, which is something we tend to expect at nicer properties. We'd booked a room on the club floor where (we later learned) our key was supposed to open not only our hotel room, but also the Regency Club where breakfast and evening cocktails and snacks were served. The key did not open the club door, and when we took it down to the front desk to be re-keyed, it then no longer opened our room. After a third trip to the front desk for this, it finally worked on both.

Additionally, we booked the "Family Plan," which included $35 meal "breakfast" credits daily as well as $25 "activity" credits. Since I had booked this online, I wasn't sure how it would be applied or if there was some kind of voucher required. Only after an (awkward) call to the front desk did we learn these credits would be automatically applied to our bill.

Similarly, no information was provided regarding the club-level meal services. So I had to call the concierge to find out where breakfast and cocktails were offered and would have expected and preferred to have this information provided autmatically upon check-in.

Since the Hyatt Hill Country does offer so many different activities and services, it would also have been nice if the front desk personnel had provided some information on what activities are available (such as evening s'mores, hayrides, movies on the lawn, etc.), where and when, etc., so that guests do not miss out on opportunities they would have enjoyed. The only way I knew about some of these services was from reading reviews from other guests. (We stayed at the Four Seasons Maui recently and were greeted and given a complete rundown on what was available and how everything worked, which was VERY nice.)

Regency Club: We enjoyed our trip and this property, in particular, so much we are already discussing plans for our next visit! However, we both agree we would not do the "club level" again (at this property.) The Regency Club appeared to be the parlor portion of a suite where the regular furniture had been removed and a few tables and chairs had been installed in its stead. The room was small, over-crowded and poorly configured to accommodate the several dozen guests who descended on it simultaneously. Furthermore, it was terribly understaffed and ran out of everything from silverware and napkins to chairs, coffee, etc. The food, when available, was very good, however.

Room: Our room was nice, but not extraordinary. It did have a large wear/threadbare spot on the carpet in front of the connecting door. While most rooms have balconies with seating, ours did not. We were later told one should make a specific request for a balcony, if desired, which we will do when we return. I would like to note that our beds were extremely comfortable! I awoke so refreshed every morning, it was fabulous! However, I do wish it had been two queens instead of two doubles, which was a little cramped for a family of four. (I also learned after reading a brochure during our visit, that you can get a 2nd, connecting room for 50% off the regular rate, which we will probably do next time.)

The bathroom was fairly standard but had a few nice touches--a real bathmat for the tub as well as an arched shower curtain rod to keep the curtain from touching you. Plus, the tub had a nice wide ledge all the way across the back to set all of your many products! (Warning: the hotel's bath amenities were eucalyptus, which were sticky and smelled like Vicks vapor rub.) The tub and toilet were in their own little room, and the sink and counter were separated from the sleeping area by only a wall, which was nice for the many occupants, but made it difficult to be quiet if someone was sleeping. There was also a separate vanity area--complete with stool and softer lighting! It had its own plug, thankfully, however, it was under the counter on the back wall, requiring getting down on the floor to plug anything in.

Recreation: Our visit this time was short, so we didn't have a chance to try out many of the activities, however, the lazy river and beach alone were worth the trip!! Our whole family LOVED it! They also have bar service right there on the river as you're floating by, which was great! We also really enjoyed the s'mores, which the hotel did nightly (on the beach by the river). They also have nightly hayrides, which we will make a point to do next time. We saw a lot of families riding bikes around the property, which the hotel provides (I don't know if there's a fee). They have everything from adult bikes to tricycles and everything in between! There are activities throughout the day, which are posted on a chalkboard by the "pool hut." Sea World is less than 5 minutes away--very convenient!

Restaurants: We ate at the hotel's casual restaurant on "Prime Rib buffet night." The menu was a little pricey, but the prime rib and salad bar were outstanding! However, the mashed potatoes were instant and nasty. We had 2 meals pool-side, and while a bit pricey there too, the food was really good. All of the margaritas I had were delicious!

Overall, I could go on and on. This is a great resort! We loved it, and will be going back!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We just returned from a stay July 6-8 2006. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The pools are very nice and relaxing with lush vegetation all around.. There is a lazy river with a sand beach that has a connection to the family pool. There is a family hot tub by the pool. There is also an adult only pool (ages 18 and up). We planted ourselves there and really enjoyed it. The hot tub is large and all the pools and hot tubs have waterfalls around them that helps with relaxing. The waitstaff is attentive. Alcohol drinks are steep with an average price of $7.00. Hamburgers are around $10 but the food is very good. It can add up quickly if you are out there all day. If you don't like kids, avoid this place when Seaworld and Fiesta Texas are open. Seaworld is just across the freeway, so there are tons of kids, but the hotel caters to them with "Camp Hyatt" and "The Underground" for teens each night ($19). There are free smores on the beach side of the lazy river at night as well as movies played on a large screen outside on weekends. There are some "surprise charges" such as a $10 a day "Resort Fee", plus, I found they had a $10 valet parking charge on my bill which I did not use. The Antler Room was a delicious dinner but we walked out with a $161 dinner bill for two (including tip) which included 2 glasses of their least expensive wine. I have yet to eat a dinner that tasted $100 good to me. Restaurants are not very close to this hotel as far as we could tell in our ventures outside. McDonalds is across the freeway, but they really messed up our breakfast order. The price was right, though, after the previous night at The Antler Room. The rooms are nice and clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff is very friendly as well. The spa is great. My wife raved about it and there is another pool and hot tub over there. The golf course looked beautiful, but I don't golf. You can stay cheaper near Seaworld, but nothing can touch this place around there. You want to stay there all day. Luxury does come with a price. Our charges, including the massage ($125 with tip) and Antler room dinner ($161 with tip) ended up being close to $500 for two nights. This included a movie my daughter rented when we were out of the room for close to $15 and coffees, ice cream, sodas and alcohol by the pool. I am sorry if it sounds like I am complaining about the cost. We knew what we were getting ourselves into and I am just trying to help give you an idea of the expenditures around this resort. It was an awesome place. We plan to return in the cooler months when Seaworld is closed. Enjoy!

6 Thank Texas_Travel_A
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 5, 2006

The great: Beautiful hotel, grounds, rooms. Incredible pool area with "lazy river". Lots of activities within the hotel. Excellent Spa. "General Store" with anything you may need.

The good: Good food and service. Child care / activities.

The not-so good: The hotel gets pretty crowded with families with lots of kids. It seems that the crowds are larger than you would expect for the number of rooms, so I suspect there's a lot of people checking-in early, checking-out late. The common areas get so crowded that feels like disney or a cruise. Although food is good, it is outrageously expensive (lunch for 2 adults and 2 children with drinks for all $92, and my burger came with a bag of chips, not fries). We came back from the pool at 3:30pm to relax in our room before dinner, but housekeeping had not done the room. They were doing the room in front, and said ours was next, so we left and came back after 5pm. Still not done. After calling the front desk someone came to sort of clean the room.

Bottom line: Superb facilities, don't go for a quiet romantic weekend. Take the kids. It falls a little short when you consider the price.

4 Thank tupapi
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2006

We spend a weekend in San Antonio every summer when we pick-up our boys(7,9, & 11) from camp and we've always "eyed" the Hyatt but steered away becaus of the cost ($390 per night including taxes and fees). Finally we decided to splurge and we weren't disappointed! After 10 hours of bicycles, pool, lazy river, smores, and a movie on the lawn we had to remind the boys that they could do it all again in the morning before they would go to bed.

The staff was wonderful - from the front desk to the towel boy - all friendly and helpful. We requested a roll-away and it was in our room, completely made, when we returned. The food and drinks were expensive but we expected that.

Our stay was worth every penny and we'll be back next year!

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank Kaye L
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I recently stayed at this hotel and found it to be an unparralelled pleasure. The room was in perfect shape when I came in except for one problem. The tv did not work in the room. When I called and informed them of this, not 5 minutes later they had an engineer at the door apologizing that it took him so long. He had the problem fixed (not sure what it was, but it worked after he left). And when he left, he gave me a business card with the direct line to engineering if I had anymore problems. To top it all off, as I was checking out 2 days later, he was walking by and stopped to ask me how my stay was, and even remembered my name. My whole stay was completely enjoyable and I would urge anybody to stay there, I know I will be going back.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 10, 2006

The room was gorgeous. The walking paths were so nice to get some exercise in. The spa was so tranquil. The food was superb. I loved that it had an adult only pool. I liked being away from downtown in the country. So convenient to Sea World. Staff was professinal. Can't think of one negative - and I'm picky!!!

Stayed April 2005