“We loved it, but make sure your pockets are deep!”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We just returned from a stay July 6-8 2006. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The pools are very nice and relaxing with lush vegetation all around.. There is a lazy river with a sand beach that has a connection to the family pool. There is a family hot tub by the pool. There is also an adult only pool (ages 18 and up). We planted ourselves there and really enjoyed it. The hot tub is large and all the pools and hot tubs have waterfalls around them that helps with relaxing. The waitstaff is attentive. Alcohol drinks are steep with an average price of $7.00. Hamburgers are around $10 but the food is very good. It can add up quickly if you are out there all day. If you don't like kids, avoid this place when Seaworld and Fiesta Texas are open. Seaworld is just across the freeway, so there are tons of kids, but the hotel caters to them with "Camp Hyatt" and "The Underground" for teens each night ($19). There are free smores on the beach side of the lazy river at night as well as movies played on a large screen outside on weekends. There are some "surprise charges" such as a $10 a day "Resort Fee", plus, I found they had a $10 valet parking charge on my bill which I did not use. The Antler Room was a delicious dinner but we walked out with a $161 dinner bill for two (including tip) which included 2 glasses of their least expensive wine. I have yet to eat a dinner that tasted $100 good to me. Restaurants are not very close to this hotel as far as we could tell in our ventures outside. McDonalds is across the freeway, but they really messed up our breakfast order. The price was right, though, after the previous night at The Antler Room. The rooms are nice and clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff is very friendly as well. The spa is great. My wife raved about it and there is another pool and hot tub over there. The golf course looked beautiful, but I don't golf. You can stay cheaper near Seaworld, but nothing can touch this place around there. You want to stay there all day. Luxury does come with a price. Our charges, including the massage ($125 with tip) and Antler room dinner ($161 with tip) ended up being close to $500 for two nights. This included a movie my daughter rented when we were out of the room for close to $15 and coffees, ice cream, sodas and alcohol by the pool. I am sorry if it sounds like I am complaining about the cost. We knew what we were getting ourselves into and I am just trying to help give you an idea of the expenditures around this resort. It was an awesome place. We plan to return in the cooler months when Seaworld is closed. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Texas_Travel_A
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 5, 2006

The great: Beautiful hotel, grounds, rooms. Incredible pool area with "lazy river". Lots of activities within the hotel. Excellent Spa. "General Store" with anything you may need.

The good: Good food and service. Child care / activities.

The not-so good: The hotel gets pretty crowded with families with lots of kids. It seems that the crowds are larger than you would expect for the number of rooms, so I suspect there's a lot of people checking-in early, checking-out late. The common areas get so crowded that feels like disney or a cruise. Although food is good, it is outrageously expensive (lunch for 2 adults and 2 children with drinks for all $92, and my burger came with a bag of chips, not fries). We came back from the pool at 3:30pm to relax in our room before dinner, but housekeeping had not done the room. They were doing the room in front, and said ours was next, so we left and came back after 5pm. Still not done. After calling the front desk someone came to sort of clean the room.

Bottom line: Superb facilities, don't go for a quiet romantic weekend. Take the kids. It falls a little short when you consider the price.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank tupapi
Reviewed June 20, 2006

We spend a weekend in San Antonio every summer when we pick-up our boys(7,9, & 11) from camp and we've always "eyed" the Hyatt but steered away becaus of the cost ($390 per night including taxes and fees). Finally we decided to splurge and we weren't disappointed! After 10 hours of bicycles, pool, lazy river, smores, and a movie on the lawn we had to remind the boys that they could do it all again in the morning before they would go to bed.

The staff was wonderful - from the front desk to the towel boy - all friendly and helpful. We requested a roll-away and it was in our room, completely made, when we returned. The food and drinks were expensive but we expected that.

Our stay was worth every penny and we'll be back next year!

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank Kaye L
A TripAdvisor Member
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I recently stayed at this hotel and found it to be an unparralelled pleasure. The room was in perfect shape when I came in except for one problem. The tv did not work in the room. When I called and informed them of this, not 5 minutes later they had an engineer at the door apologizing that it took him so long. He had the problem fixed (not sure what it was, but it worked after he left). And when he left, he gave me a business card with the direct line to engineering if I had anymore problems. To top it all off, as I was checking out 2 days later, he was walking by and stopped to ask me how my stay was, and even remembered my name. My whole stay was completely enjoyable and I would urge anybody to stay there, I know I will be going back.

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
MS
Reviewed June 10, 2006

The room was gorgeous. The walking paths were so nice to get some exercise in. The spa was so tranquil. The food was superb. I loved that it had an adult only pool. I liked being away from downtown in the country. So convenient to Sea World. Staff was professinal. Can't think of one negative - and I'm picky!!!

Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Just back from a 2 night stay at the Hyatt. This is our second stay there. While we had a nice time this is the second and third time someone in our party has gotten their things misplaced. Our first visit our friend had his golf clubs misplaced. This last visit they misplaced my husband's golf clubs and our friend's luggage. They really do need a new system of keeping track of things.

Other then that our stay was very nice. The staff is amazing. The place is relaxing. It's a very family place. They have activities all day long for kids. It's really very enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank tlegray
Reviewed May 30, 2006

We (me, my husband, and our almost-two-year-old) stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort over Memorial Day weekend. Overall, we were very pleased. The resort and grounds are beautiful, with a rustic Texas flair. The staff is very attentive and professional. The range of activities is outstanding-- the lazy river, a special pool for babies, an adults-only pool, bicycles you can borrow, a "family barn dance" on Saturday night, kids' activities scheduled all day long, a nice spa plus a special spa for teenagers, beautiful golf course, etc. There are also numerous food options: the elegant/formal Antlers Lodge restaurant, an ice cream/coffee bar in the lobby, an outdoor snack bar by the pool, another bar perfect for a beer or two, and much more.

I had a great massage at the spa, but the spa itself was not as well-managed as others I've been to. Many people checking in and out at the same time, and the lounge area was not very quiet or relaxing-- the two doors were constantly being opened and closed.

The only problem we had was that our room faced the main courtyard of the hotel, and on Sunday night there was a "Disney Movie on the Lawn" right outside our window. It was VERY loud, and did not end until nearly 11 pm. This would have been fine if our son was 6 years old-- we'd have been out there on the lawn enjoying the movie. But he is a young toddler and goes to bed by 8 pm, so we did not appreciate the loud movie right outside our room. They should have told us about the movie at check-in time, and we could have chosen a different room. Apparently the rooms on the spa-side of the hotel are the "quiet" rooms-- this is what you want if you have a baby/toddler who needs to sleep!

This is a fabulous place for a family vacation, VERY kid-friendly. I would NOT recommend it for couples looking for a romantic getaway, unless you went mid-week during the school year.

• Stayed: May 2006