“Great Place to Relax”

Ranked #5 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Place to Relax”
Reviewed August 4, 2005

This hotel has the best and most relaxing pool area I've ever seen. The lazy river (much better than lazy rivers you typically see at water parks) is great. The pool (which has a waterfall you can sit under) is awesome. The jacuzzi is huge and plenty hot. There is a beach for small children. The lazy river is connected to the pool, so that you don't have to leave one to get to the other. For someone looking for a place to go for a couple of days to relax, this is the place. And it's great for children of all ages. It is expensive, though (e.g., the food is really expensive).

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed July 29, 2005

We just got back from this resort. While the resort is beautful, I will say it is Great if you have small kids (5 and younger) and don't expect great service. We had the Great Family package so it included some free breakfast and the only rooms left were the Regency Club level so we had a private room that we could get snacks etc throughout the day. However, we found we did not use it enough to make it worth the extra $90. We did not feel the Hotel was worth $300 a night at all, we could have gone to Mexico for a week at what we paid for this hotel for 4 days and also had better service from the employees. The Spa is very expensive so I did not take advantage of any of the services, however, I was tempted so my daughter and I went in the spa and two people looked at us, but then looked right back down and never acknowledged our presence, we even went to the counter and were looking at a brochure together but still the two employees standing right there never said a word to us.. so we left!
We were told they have 6 pools because they are next door to a vacation club and we could use their facilities as well. Turns out that is part if a timeshare tour if you want to use the Vacation Clubs pools you had to set up a time and take a tour for about an hour and a half.
To top it off, we played golf, the course is beautiful, our Golf Clubs were stored in the golf clubhouse storage over night and someone stole my set of clubs and my husbands! We have advised the hotel and security so the police are there right now trying to look at the cameras and see who did it. I will keep you posted on how the resort handles this. Even before we found out someone stole our clubs, this hotel did not meet our expectations for paying $300 a night.

18 Thank 1Funfamily
Oklahoma City,OK
Reviewed July 28, 2005

This hotel is definitely in the business to make money--$4.50 a bottle for aquafina in the room, $3.25 for a cup of Starbuck's in lobby (regular cup of coffee) Bathroom was the smallest I have seen in any hotel Room appeared clean and sheets and linens were nice The workout equipment is in bad need of an upgrade Was looking forward to working out but elliptical trainers were the original precor model, about 10-15 years old--very bad for a hotel of this price and reputation Treadmills, ironically, were top notch Pool layout is pathetic--lazy river is jam packed with children who crawl all over you, other pool area is way too small and has volleyball and basketball going on One adult pool but where can you swim with your 8 and 12 year old without getting mauled or hit in the head by a basketball? Ping pong table was warped so that ball couldn't bounce on one side Long lines at breakfast to be seated OK if you're at IHOP, but not for $250-300 a night hotel Hotel had way too many guests for the available facilities Food was pretty good I thought Parking attendants were very nice and thought staff was pretty accomodating Can do better for a lesser price

9 Thank gaspsr1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2005

We stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country for a few days in the middle of July.

The resort is visually appealing and well taken care of. The service is what you would expect from a hotel of the caliber; fast and good. The rooms are very average. The grounds are well maintained and look great; they really excel in this area. The pool is nice and clean and the lazy river is a lot fun. However, both were VERY crowded! The kids club program was a lot of fun for our 7 year old daughter, she enjoyed it. Our 16 year old son was bored to tears; this is not a good place for teens unless they have friends with them because there are not many there. The workout area was average and we did not use the spa services. Bring a small cooler with you and either bring your beer and drinks or buy it at the onsite store because buying cans of beer for $4.50 by the pool is ridiculous! You can bring a small cooler out to the pool area (there were dozens of them) and you can get the ice from the machine on your floor. Antlers restaurant is very good, one of the best in San Antonio. We ate there twice. All-in-all, this is a nice resort, worthy of 4 stars.

That being said, the hotel is overrun with children! There were adults and children running through the lobby with no shirts on and dripping-wet bathing suits. I understand that this is a family resort but I don't care to some hairy-backed man running through the lobby, that is just nasty - get a wax-job or something, jheeze! I don't have hair on my back, but I still would NOT run shirtless and wet through the lobby!

If you live in or near San Antonio or will be in San Antonio with your kids, this is a great place to stay. It is not near the RiverWalk or downtown, but it is near Sea World and Fiesta Texas. I don't think that I would travel more than a four to five hour drive to stay there and certainly wouldn't spend the money to fly to San Antonio to stay there.

All being said, we enjoyed our stay but should we return we will be prepared for the amusement park like atmosphere.

8 Thank downtick
Reviewed July 22, 2005

This place is nice, but it is for families! My husband and I went with our 2 year old and it was too loud for us. There were kids running up and down the halls all day and into the night. If you have a family and can take the noise it is a nice place for you. They have activities for kids 3 and up. If you are single and want some quiet or romance do not go!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My family(myself, wife, 2 boys 10 - 7) traveled from Chicago and stayed 5 nights at Hyatt Hill Country. It was our first time to Texas and the location of this hotel is great. I wanted a resort and not a downtown hotel and I am glad we picked this hotel. I must warn anyone who stays here, if you dont have kids, you wont be happy. I have stayed at several Disney hotels and i have never seen this many kids in my life. Every couple had at least 2 kids and some families were very large.

The lobby and hallways are bustling with kids especially on the weekend. The pool area looks like a swimin hole and i must say that my kids dont get a kick out of lazy rivers at waterparks, but spent 90% of their pool time in the lazy river having the time of their life. The pool area is a great mix of sun and shade and the temp was 100 each day, but we didnt fry at the pool because there is so many shaded areas.

The location is great. We didnt go to sea world because we have been to them before, but the natural bridge caves were great. The wildlife safari next to the natural bridge was a blast to feed the animals from your car. You are only 20 minutes from san antonio, so we went into town 3 times to shop, eat, riverwalk and visit the alamo.

We ate at the buffet restaurant one time and thought it was pretty awful. Other people mentioned Rudy's in their review. Our ten year old wanted to go there but we were a bit apprehensive because Rudy's is connected to a gas station. I must say that it is the best bbq i have ever had in my life and we ended up eating there 2 times during our trip.

The staff at the hotel was friendly and i must say the whole ---- state seems to be friendly!!

Stay at this hotel but i would not recommend the concierge level of the hotel because it doesnt offer you anything that you dont get on the other floors of the hotel.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My wife and I enjoyed the overnite experience, however, we felt a little out of place as we travel a good deal and this place, although elegant, is considerably overpriced , in our opinion!
First of all, valet parking only ($10.00)!, this of course requires valet room
service, another few bucks! Then, it's so large, one must walk, walk, walk to go to the lobby, resturant, pool, general store,etc.
The employee's are courteous, the service good (not excellent), but the "inconvience" of valets for "everthing" is to much for us! (For instance, to get a corkscrew, room service was the ONLY available option, that took 30 minutes and a few bucks.. have at it, we like our auto "in sight and available", be able to pick type of resturants, short walk to pool, etc.
We'll stay with Hampton, Wingate type, thankyou!

Stayed June 2005