“Great Escape from the Heat”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 14, 2009

This is a really nice resort. It is summer time, there are tons of activities. Movies on the lawn at night - horse drawn carriage rides, smores, many, many more activities -most are complimentary (part of the resort fee). Very nice landscaped grounds, and great lobby. Of course, the best part of this is the pool area. Outside of possibly being one of the best pool areas outside of a themed resort (e.g. great wolf), the majority of the pool area is shaded by established trees. Very, very nice. Only gripes - TV needs to be updated - not that big of a deal - no free internet unless you have a higher level of frequent stay status, and food is pricey. However, outside of the TV, the other gripes are expected. Good size fridge in the room helps. Tip - try the Pizza in the general store - fair price for a hotel, and pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband a 2 (5 & 7) small children enjoyed our 2 night visit after hurricane Ike. One of the reasons we choose this Resort was due to it being close to Sea World. Sea World is so close I believe you if you wanted you could walk there. To our surprise, the Resort is very, very family friendly and staff is very helpfull and ready to please. And not stuck up. After our long day at Sea World, we enjoyed floating in the lazy river. Afterwards my children played at water's edge on the sand beach while my husband and I relaxed while being catered to. It's what the doctor order after all the stress of the hurricane. Later that evening after dinner the kids had s'mores by the fire, then a movie on the lawn. We only dined in the cafe, but the food was wonderful!!!!!!!!! The bed and bedding was very comfortable, and the room was clean and quiet. Our only regret is that our stay was so short, and I did not get to enjoy any spa services.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country for several days on business and realized that it would be a nice getaway hotel for couples or families at a reasonable price. There are plenty of on-property amenties to keep you entertained and to refresh and recharge. Of course the Riverwalk area is a short drive away.

The service and restaurants were high quality. Of particular note was the general store/ coffee shop which was great for picking up breakfast or lunch on the go. The guest rooms are well appointed, fresh and comfortable. They are not luxurious or overly spacious.

While there are many higher end places in the area, I think this is a good spot for someone on a budget and looking for a value with out sacrificing quality.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2009

My friend and I stayed here after a trail run. It is a beautiful hotel with many amenities. The pools are very nice (although we couldn't make out the Texas shaped one). There are so many activities for kids here!. The rooms were nice and had nice patios. Beds were super comfy, but the down comforters were a littel flat. There is a cure breakfast place and you can get Starbucks coffee to go. It's too bad you have to pay the resort fees even thought we booked on priceline. Seems like a rip off.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My girlfriend and I went there for an anniversary and we never wanted to leave. Beautiful property and the amenities were amazing. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Let me first say that our family is full of Disney fanatics. So, our fave place ever is Animal Kingdom Lodge, because of its location. BUT, Hyatt Hill Country has the most amazing, relaxing, beautiful lodging we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. It was too cool for the lazy river each night when we had the time, but our 3 kiddos loved the heated pool, and my dh and I really loved the hottub. Everything at this resort is just so beautiful-- upscale ranch style I would call it. Every single person that we had contact with at the resort was incredibly friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

One night was rough for me (I got sick in the wee hours of the morning), and my child also happened to have a rough night. Housekeeping was in our room within a few minutes to help us, and the housekeeping dept also wanted to make sure that we were all feeling better in the morning. As I said, everyone there was incredibly nice!

Honestly, Antlers Restaurant is beautiful, but we've had better food elsewhere. I also learned to order my food a bit more cooked when presented with such a big piece of steak!

The hotel was crowded while we were there, but it wasn't that noisy, and the hotel staff quickly tended to everyone's needs, so the resort didn't feel "full " at all. Despite all the people in the resort 2 of our nights there, the pools and hot tube were not crowded at all.

Oh, and definitely make it to the firepit near ending time--it becomes a buffet of left-over smores parts, if that makes any sense. The playground is really cute, but a bit dark late at night. The sandy beach by the lazy river is raked nightly--feels great on tired toes and feet, to just let your feet dig into the cool sand. Oh, and my favorite part? Opening the french doors to our bedroom and living room areas and letting the cool winds blow through the rooms--the air felt so clean and fresh and we could smell the grass downstairs--making me wish to return to the Hyatt just typing this.

Can't sing enough praises of this resort!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank hvandiver
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We travelled to the resort in April 2009 from Houston TX for a quick , relaxing getaway coupled with a trip to Sea World. Loved the hotel and we are picky having stayed at many Four Season and Ritz Carlton properties. This is defiantely a family resort and my 3.5 yo son absolutely loved the pool. I treated myself to a 80 minute hot stone massage at the spa which was incredible. We never ate at the restaurants so don't really know the quality but there are so many great dining options in San Antonio. We loved Rosario's for great mexican. We didn't wait but the breakfast at Guenther House looke incredible and scenic. I definately recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009