“Grand location, great amenities and a nice hotel.”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I just had the opportunity to spend four nights at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort for a conference. The property itself is a beautiful piece of San Antonio hill country about 15 miles outside of the city. The hotel lobby is quite grand and very "Texas lodge-like" in style and decor. The conference center is very large and did a great job for the industry conference that we were attending. It was also a spring break week and the place was loaded with families with young children. The amenities for families are very good. There's a wave pool, a river ride for tubing and a number of other items (bikes, hiking, and etc) that can keep the kids busy. It also has a great golf course right on the property. The food was very good and the "General Store" had Starbucks coffee and breakfast items each morning. If there was one lower score it's the rooms. While the room we had wasn't awful it was clearly in need of some updating. This was especially true of the bathroom and sink area. The tub/shower are dated and the wash sink had trouble draining. Overall we had a great time and the staff and hotel were wonderful. If Hyatt decides to update the rooms at some point it will be an easy 5 Star location.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael N
HRHC_PRTeam, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are delighted that you found the food to be good, and the resort to be beautiful and accommodating for your meeting during one of our busiest weeks! We our proud top offer our guests many amenities for every age range. Thank you for the feedback about the guestrooms and the bathrooms. We strive to offer our guests the very best guestroom accommodations, and we only hope to improve those areas. I will share your review with our managing committee and hope to earn your 5 star review after your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Hyatt is a fantastic resort/hotel. We only stayed one night, but it's designed to be there a couple of days at least, to take advantage of the golf, pool, family activities, cookouts, etc. Rooms are great, food was very good. Nice pools with a lazy river. My wife had a great massage at the spa. The only slight drawback, if your without young kids in your family - there are A LOT of families with young kids that stay here. I love kids, but mine are over age 11 so we'd prefer a quieter hotel. The dining room was like a Disneyland restaurant, but without the characters. Lots of kids running around, and that creates a louder atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that, if that's where you are in life.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HRHC_PRTeam, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your five-star review. We are grateful that you chose to spend your holiday week with us and that you experienced an enjoyable stay. We are proud that families choose to spend time together at Hyatt Hill Country, and we do experience a full house over holiday weekends. We hear from our guests seeking a more low-key experience, that stays during the week through the summer are of a slower pace. As well, stays during off-peak leisure season, like September and October or March, April and early May carry less volume of guests. We sincerely hope you'll make plans to come back during these times and experience a positively memorable Hyatt Hill Country experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hands down the best golf and overall service in San Antonio. Skip the overhyped and rude attitudes at La Cantera. They should kick Troon out and let another company run that course

The staff is incredible. The atmosphere is a true relaxing vacation. Can't say enough good things about the Hyatt. I will never go back to La Cantera after playing here. Nice job Hyatt on the courses and the resort. We re-booked at checkout. Liked it that much

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Frqntflyr12

Thank you for your kind words! We are so thrilled and overjoyed to read your five-star review. Nothing makes us happier than when our guests get to experience the authentic hospitality and genuine Hill Country atmosphere that we work so hard to provide. It is our goal for each guest to share the same love and appreciation for the resort that we do.

Thank you for your feedback and your great review of the resort. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked this hotel because my daughter and I were attending an event held at this hotel. When I pulled into the long drive and had to check in with the guard at the gate I felt like I was checking into a St Regis. We paid about $350 for a room with 2 double beds. It was well worth it - the room was big, modern and they had Starbucks coffee in the room as well as a fridge and the complimentary shampoo and conditioner was large enough for 2 washes. The hotel itself is large, modern and clean. There are several restaurants on site. We did not eat at Antlers but did check out the menu - Steak & game - not too pricey about $49 a plate and the restaurant was beautiful with the huge antler chandelier. We left the property to eat elsewhere but there wasn't much around just a few BBQ restaurants and some fast food. So we came back and ate at the other restaurant. They had a healthy buffet for $21 and a nice selection of food on the menu and wine by the glass :) The staff was extremely nice and helpful and this resort is close to Sea World. This seems like a great place for kids and parents because I was there during Spring Break. The hotel had lots of activities going on for the kids and the children all seemed very happy. It is good also for business since there were several conventions going on also during our stay. It didn't seem noisy or crowded at all. They had a live flamingo guitar player in the evening and a lasso trick cowboy in the lobby in the morning. This hotel did a great job!

Room Tip: We only stayed one night so got the cheapest. I can see if you were going to make it a longer stay...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank itchintogetaway

Thank you for your generous review. We are so thrilled to hear you were delighted with your stay during Spring Break! The resort has so many great features for families including the Ramblin' River, FlowRider, sand beach, bicycles, nature trail and Family Express Golf! It is also a great place for meetings as we just added a brand new 30,000 square foot ballroom with flexible indoor and outdoor meeting spaces.

We enjoy providing live music and entertainment during our holiday weekends and are happy you were able to enjoy that. If you are looking for a more relaxed experience, consider visiting us in the off-season (before mid May or after August) when the kids are back in school. The property takes on a different feeling with more independent business travelers and less leisure guests.

Thank you again for your review. We hope we can earn your 5-star review in the future. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort and we hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

First time visitor to this Hyatt resort and hopefully not my last. The resort has a grand entrance as you drive up the oak tree lined entryway with lots of free parking and valet service as well. The service is first class, I never opened a door, was greeted by every employee from the front door to the maintenance staff.. The facility is in great shape inside and out, very well decorated with a country ranch style. I was upgraded to a suite, very comfortable, with my only complaint being a few things needed maintenance. The sink in the bathroom appeared to have rust around the drain and the sink appeared to be dirty or possibly rust as well? Not a big negative, but not what you would expect at a facilty such as this. The outdoor area is beautiful, well groomed and maintained. It was refreshing to smell fresh cut grass after the winter we have experienced. The summer months would be a great time to visit with several pools, lazy river, and a flowrider wave machine that looks like a ton of fun. I can't wait to come back with my family and enjoy together.

1  Thank travelnow39

We are so grateful for your kind review and so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for saying that our service is first class. Our employees make a tremendous effort to be sure every guest feels special during their stay. We are happy you found our staff to be so attentive.

We also pride ourselves in the cleanliness and maintenance of the facility. This is why I am so disappointed to hear you were displeased with the sink in your guest room. Do you remember the room number where you stayed? I will be sure to share your review with our management committee in an effort to improve the experience of any guest staying in this room in the future.

So happy to hear you wish to come back with your family! The kids will love the FlowRider, the Ramblin' River and a visit with our K-9 ambassadors, Rowdy and Stella!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was here for a conference and it was very well-organised and staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel and grounds were enormous and unfortunately, apart from the people who went golfing, didn’t see much of it!

The room was fine but I felt, the bathroom was a little on the small side and a shower/bath combination with plastic shower curtains.

There were insect screens on the windows that opened which was very welcome to get fresh air while keeping insects out!

Internet was reliable and fast but a bit frustrating as soon as we left the room as we then went onto different Wi-Fi network called “Meeting rooms” which was password locked! Perhaps this was their method of ensuring that when we were in the meeting rooms, we couldn’t check our mail or do anything else on the internet and had to concentrate on our meetings!

One thing that really annoyed me was the wooden bed-end as I kept hitting my thigh on it but this may be my own carelessness?

The location of this resort was a long way from, well, anything! But it may be designed for guests who drive there? I think it would have been good if the hotel provided shuttle services to popular places including San Antonio riverwalk, the Outlet shopping centre and airport. Actually, even to the local shopping centre would have been fine. The cost of getting taxis to these places was prohibitive.

Make sure you go to see Rowdy and Stella, the resort mascots, while here. They live in beautiful kennels that are air-conditioned! Talk about a dog’s life!

The guys in the gold shop were so helpful when I went there to have a brass baggage tag engraved!

Breakfast at the Springfield restaurant was good with many choices but I thought it was a tad expensive for the buffet if you have a light breakfast.

There was always a bowl of crunchy apples at reception which were very welcome when I just wanted a snack.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I was in 2916 on the second floor and according to my colleagues, it was better being on the second...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We appreciate your feedback. It is our mission to provide our guests with the authentic, award-winning service that we are so proud of. I'm glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I'm also happy you were able to enjoy the apples at check-in and the complimentary bag tag from the Hill Country Golf Pro Shop.

I'm so sorry to hear that you were unable to connect to the internet in your meeting space. We do password protect the internet in the ballrooms and meeting rooms, so as to provide high-speed internet solely to our paying meetings guests. Your meetings concierge should have been able to provide you with the password. I apologize if this was not communicated to you.

We are currently working on a new meetings offer that does provide transportation to our group guests who arrive without cars. I'm happy to know this is important to you and will share your feedback with our sales team.

Thank you for your complimentary 4-star review and the helpful feedback. We are constantly working to improve the resort for our guests. Please visit us again!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

At the entrance of the hotel there is a magnificent oak tree, you have to hand it to the designers that this is a truly nice looking hotel in the old colonial ranch style - a brave choice, the blue paint on the exterior, but somehow it works.
I'm going to bring a scooter next time I stay here though, the main corridor is super long...but hey, when it's lined with what seems to be stitched leather 'wall paper', who am I to berate the hotel designer for what became an interesting walk.
So theres a grotto in the main foyer, I'd say something more about it but when I saw it I had a long walk ahead of me and was on a mission to get to my room before I had to check out the next day.
I was too busy to sample any of the food diring my stay, which was a shame because I'd worked up quite an appetite in the corridor, but the local Starbucks has a good Americano.
There are actually Starbucks drinks to make in your room but I was too scared to try them on account of the cost - it's the Scottish blood in me you see, "take care of the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves" my grandmother used to say to me...I just took a swig of the 'free' water bottles (two a day) in an attempt to make best use of the about $25 that they will cost me in resort fees.
I am also told that I can have a free swing at some golf balls included in the resort fee but I'm afraid that I think golf is a 'good walk spoiled' - so golf driving ranges are 'a good stand outside spoiled'.
There is one area that this hotel could make some major forward strides and gain that coveted 5th star - the rooms lack that certain je ne sais pas...but I just don't know what it is. So I thought about it and at about 3am it struck me...Crown Moldings. I'm going out on a limb here but if they rolled out a program of updating the areas where the walls meet the ceiling then I think the revenue would roll in and perhaps the $25+ charge for valet parking could be reduced.
The rooms are certainly handsome, I pity the person that has to mop the nice tiles in the room though - I'm hitting a schaden freude high at the thought of how much effort it must take to give me a nice change in texture under my toes as I walk from my very comfortable king bed to the well appointed bathroom and onwards to the bathroom.
All in all, its a great hotel, I loved the outside and the inside does not disappoint - far better than an inner city hotel and equally the equal which equals = I would recommend.

Room Tip: Not near the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your very descriptive review. The Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort sits on nearly 300 acres of the original Rogers-Wiseman family ranch. We are very proud of the rich history of the resort and how vast, and expansive the grounds are. The acreage, while it makes for a nice walk to your room, allows our guests to feel like they've escaped the city. The Live Oak that you mentioned at the main entrance is quite stunning and allows for a great arrival experience. Thank you for mentioning these details!

The resort fee that you mention includes two complimentary bottles of water in your guestroom per day, in-room internet access, golf bag storage, complimentary access to the driving range, putting and chipping greens, a bucket of golf balls, as well as bike rental during your stay. We hope you were able to enjoy some of these amenities.

I will share your feedback on the guestrooms with our managing committee. The crown moldings are a great idea and would be nice addition to any room, I agree. The simple, casual, yet elegant design of the rooms is intended to provide our guests with a neat, clean, relaxing and inviting feeling.

Thank you again for your review, and please visit us again!