“Good Place For the Little Ones”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 24, 2008

The resort is a fun getaway. Be prepared to pay $10 for a drink. Everything is expensive there and it is far away from a store. There were a lot of toddlers everywhere. I would say it is a good place for families with children up to 10 years of age. Most activities are geared towards them. It was a clean and safe hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Back_in_the_snow

Reviewed June 16, 2008

I had the EXACT same experience as Longcut07. You could not hold a converstation with the front desk staff...they were incompetent. Our A/C did not work appropriately....it made this loud banging noise throughout the night..waking me up every time. I asked for it to be fixed several times. When I asked to change rooms, they told me that there was a big corporate conference they were trying to accomodate first.

All of the hot-tubs were not working and the poolside lounge chairs needed to be updated. They are the plastic ones that had worn out strips. There were no cushions to put on them either. It became very incomforable after around 30 minutes of reading a book. They were also short staffed and didn't have any service by the pool to get a drink or towel. I had to check towels out from the sportsclub.

I used to come to this place every year growing up during the 4th of July...it has definately gone downhill with the new management.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank AustinAllison
Reviewed June 11, 2008

This was my 3rd stay at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort with my family and my LAST! I understand that more people than not have a great time, but my rating of a 2 out of 5 is justified.

Let me first start out by saying this is a beautiful hotel. I'm a huge fan of Landscaping and this has some of the prettiest I've seen besides the Landscaping you see at Disney World. The Pool is beautiful and they have some great amenities.

I'm not saying this hotel is expensive but is high for a typical middle class family. My rating also has nothing to do with price, but the fact that I don't believe you get what you pay for. I've stayed in Cayo Espanto in Belieze for 1,400 a night which is VERY expensive, but believe the value of that to be more than 1400 a night for what you get, but regardless what I pay for a hotel, I expect to get what I pay for. I did not get 300 a night for this place. The main reason we go there and the biggest reason I think this place is attractive for families with children is the pool. Well if I pay 300 a night, and it cost my family $110 to eat two kids plates, a buffet, and a turkey sandwich in the Hotel's Restaurant, (which it did) think of it this way! It is cheaper to take your whole family to Schlitterbahn which is the largest and #1 rated waterpark in the country then it is to simply eat at this Hotel you have probably brought your kids to for the swimming pool anyway.

I requested early check in at 11:00 and called at about 10 to verify the room was ready. They told me it was. When I arrived at noon, they told me my room wasn't ready and checkin was at 4:00. They people there will not have a common sense conversation with you, when you ask a question, they will reply in a standard Hyatt Hotel form response regardless of it answering your question or not. I wasted my time coming early because my room was not ready when they said it would be and verifyed it was. Did they just make that up??? They kept trying to push us out to the pool to get rid of us and also it was SO obvious they wanted to get the kids out of the lobby. They told me my room would be ready shortly and they would call. 3 hours later I get my key after I had to walk up there and ask if it was ready and 2 hours after that they call and say my room is ready, well No [--], I've been in there for 2 hours already.

They have a lady that sits in the lobby and tries to push the Hyatt Wild Oak vacation share on you. It gets to where you take a detour around her because you don't want her to hound you. I told her after the 19th time that she tried to get me and my 2 year old to sit through a time share pitch that if she stopped me again I would put her in a rear naked choke. Does she really think I'm going to take a 2 year old in there and how many times do I have to tell her I"m on vacation and NO.

When you get into your room, look at the wallpaper border, it looks like it came from the dollar store.

Long story short, it cost us about $800 for two nights, our remote in our room did not work, none of the preset buttons on either phone in our room worked, we could not check our messages. The replacement remote they brought us did not work, you had to stand 1 inch from the sensor on the TV. Our toilet did not work. When you flused it, it continued to run and never stoped. I had to take the back lid off the toilet and push the plunger down for it to seal each time a member of my family went to the bathroom. I called the service people and they said they would locate the "engineer" and have him asses the problem. I told them an "engineer" was not necessary, all it would take was a general part time maintenance worker. Nobody ever came to fix it.

My BIGGEST complaint is that I KNOW they fix the A/C so that the thermostats reads 5 - 10 degrees warmer than it is in the room. We had a child thermometer and it consistently read 78 - 80 when the rooms thermostate said it was a cool 70, BS. Even if you crank it down to 60 (which is really 70) to try to get it a confortable 72 or so, it will run leading you to believe the A/C is on, but it's really just the fan and you can hear the compressor kicking on an off for the real A/C, keeping it exactly where they want it. It so obvious. Even if you just turn the system ON, the fan will run for 15 minutes, and then about 1 minute of A/C. When I asked them why they did that, of course it was my kids thermometer that they said was incorrect, even though it's been the same thing in the other rooms the two other times I've been here. Once again they stated they would alert the hotels "engineer."

Also, we were staying there at the time some large corporations were. I have no complain about this. The complaint I do have is that they constantly told us that big companies were there was the reason we wern't getting service. Well you know what, I'm a customer too and probably paid more then they did since I assume they are getting a reduced rate. They kept pushing valet parking on me telling me that I would have to park in the furthest parking lot away because the "companies" had all the self parking reserved. My room was not ready because they had large "companies" coming in. That is not something you should tell a customer.

Long story short, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Longcut007
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I love to watch the travel channel with Samatha Brown, they always make it look so good. She visited the hyatt hill country but she couldn't do it justice because the true value of this place is looking at it through your childs eyes. My daughter loved it, around the age eleven, she looked at us and said this is the best place you could ever take a little girl. It had everything. My husband doesnt like to travel, usually he drives like a hundred on the way home he is so ready to get home. Not this time. He loved his visit, great place for dads. The spa for children is wonderful the prices are low and she had to get everything done, my husband too.Don't miss this place, the trees give lots of shade for a hot climate in May. The underground is amazing, my daughter thought she was in heaven and the food at Anthers Lodge, don't miss the Wild side, best food I have ever had, deer, elk, quail is the most unbelievable of good its a meal youd want as your last meal if on death row.I think as a mom of one and 45 year old married lady, I paid for this vacation for my family and know I have accomplished something, a memory so wonderful it will be drilled in my daughters head when she is 40 etc. She meationed wanting to one day take her kids. All I can say, don t put off going, life is waiting, go get some life before its gone.
Cand Hayes Powell of Douglas, Georgia

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank candyDouglas
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My new wife and I wanted to have our wedding a La Cantera because we stayed there many times in 2007 and it close to our new home. But they did not want to deal with a wedding party of 100. I guess not profitable enough. So are wedding planner suggested The Hyatt Hill Country Resort. And it was the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. The entire staff were very helpful and could not do anything wrong. Ms Zuber went out of her way to make sure our wedding went as planned. All the guests raved over how they were treated and how the hotel staff went out of there way to help. If you have kids this is the place for you. Sea World is just a few miles away but the hotel has so many activities you may never leave the grounds.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TraderVic08
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I planned a surprise 50th B-day for my husband at this resort. It was indeed a surprise all the way around. He and our son and a few friends all came in to celebrate the occasion. He could not say enough about the resort and service. The golf course was one of the best he has ever played and he has played all over the world. From the staff to the food to the activities, there really were no words to express how awesome his weekend turned out to be. I am so glad I chose this hotel. Nothing could have been better!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed in March of 2007 and 2008. 5 nights each trip. It is a great place outside of the San Antonio downtown. The riverwalk is about 15 minutes away and so is the airport.

The spa is very nice. We both took advantage of it. It has an adult pool so if you don't have kids it is nice. There is a lot of families with children but it is a big place.

The rooms are very clean. The size of an average hotel room. The rooms are spread out over the hotel property so depending on where you end up, you may have a bit of a walk to certain areas.

The hotel grounds and location is the best part. A beautiful country setting. Ground keepers must work hard!!

Not much variety in restaurants but room service was always available!

Get a rental car if you plan to go downtown a lot. We did our first trip there, but enjoyed the hotel on our second trip.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business