“Secret kept for 18 Years”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during my annual seminar held here for the 18th year in a row (one year it was held at the new Marriott). Always good food, service, and what you would expect at Hyatt. A friend asked if we were going to stop by the Regency Club. We had never heard of it nor been told of it in all these years. Nifty concept- you pay 6000 points for 4 days (equal to about $80 by my calculations) and it is similar to a concierge level, free breakfast, snacks during the day, coffee, happy hour, hors d' oeuvres, etc. You could also pay $150 per day for this. Certainly worth the points. The place is newly renovated and fresh. Check the website for amenities, great place for kids.

Room Tip: If you have kids, note the play area is at one end. You might ask for a room toward that end, since...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first time there, and we will be back. There are areas for improvement, especially for what we paid per night ($500 with taxes and fees).

Resort Fee... This is a joke for some places. They charge this "fee", but there's nothing you get out of it. Here, at least they list some items to make you feel you are getting the benefit for the $26 per day fee. They give you two bottles of water per day (some places charge you extra), use of their bicycles, horseshoes, etc... I didn't mind paying it there. Overall, I think this "fee" is still a joke overall.

The room... We paid for a suite. It was very nice. The only let down was the fact they did not make up our room on the second day... Meaning, no fresh towels, no two waters (part of that "fee"), no coffee replacements, etc... It might have been that we were in the room here and there, but there really is NO excuse for not giving us what we paid for. The towels are old and should be a little softer. They had nice toiletries and they have a huge list of items they will give you if you forget them. Of course we didn't know this or see this list until we were leaving. It would be nice if the front desk made you aware of this nice service/benefit.
-The morning we were leaving, I did call and ask for fresh towels, coffee and water... They said it would be right up. I called 40 minutes later and asked again for what we needed, because we still didn't receive them. After about an hour and 15 minutes, we finally got it... Minus the waters... It was not worth calling again.
The room itself, some of the areas could be updated. The fridge seemed to be very old and missing parts inside. The bottom of the trim (inside) to the balcony was rotted out. The shower has seen better days... The bed was great!

The pool area... This was very nice. The lazy river was well done... Felt like you were actually at a river. Only two of the four main jets were working... I would only assume the water would have moved a little faster if they were all working. I would have liked an area where it moved just a tad bit faster, for the "fun" factor. They have a beach and multiple areas to stop and get a drink. They have a pool area/"lagoon" attached to the river... Where you can play water basketball, volleyball... Seemed to be the kids area. Plenty of places to sit and lay out. The have a large slide... My kids did it once and had no interest doing it again (11 & 15yrs).

The FlowRider is NOT free... $35 per hour and they charge you a one time "membership" fee ($15 per person) as well. This should be included in the resort fee. My kids had no interest. I'm just saying, for what we spent on the room, this should be a perk if anything.

They have a lot to do for the kids. They have a schedule for the entire day. They have activities, as well as evening S'mores and movie on the lawn. Some of the activities, you had to pay for. I don't mind paying for stuff, but it's $2 here and $3 there... Why do I have to worry about the small stuff? This should be included with our stay.

Our kids love to play games, but they didn't like their arcade. I didn't go in and I'm glad they didn't like it, lol... I was told it was old games...

We didn't use any other services (Spa, Camp Hyatt, etc...).

We went to their bar one night. Place is boring, but it's a bar. It was missing something... Just didn't make you feel like you wanted to stay late and have fun. We bought two drinks and left. If you wanted music, you had to pay for it (jukebox). They serve nothing but Texas beers and we liked that. The bartenders were awesome!

The buffet... $25 is not bad, but we cannot eat $25 worth of breakfast, so we brought breakfast for the room. We did eat there that night, but not the buffet. We bought individual meals. I had the fish tacos... I have had better. Not the best. They need a better sauce. I cannot comment on the buffet itself, did not try it.

We used the valet, it was $9 for the day or $19 overnight. All of the staff was very nice and professional. In fact, everyone we encountered was very professional.

They did try and push their sister Hyatt resort down the road. They said we could use their pools, etc... But why leave the resort we are paying for?

There was one safety issue that costs us a cell phone. At the river area, across from the beach, they had a drain, with NO cover. We dropped our phone and it went straight in... It's big enough to step in and could have caused serious injuries. Luckily we only lost a phone (it was submerged in water), which we did not report.

The place is very nice and we will be back.

1  Thank wmld3
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I stayed at the HHC June 28-July2. It was my husband, myself, my 20yr old dtr, 9yr old son in on room. My two older sons and their wife/gf shared another room. I have an older son, his wife and a 10 month old gbaby that live in San Antonio and they spent a lot of time up there with us. I even had the baby spend the night and house keeping brought him a crib and toiletries!
We had a large age range and all had a wonderful time! The room was clean, service was great. We chose not to do the surf/boogie board thing because it just seemed to expensive for what you get. We all went down the slide several times! Wish they had another one just for a little change.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is our third time here and I have to sadly say I was some disappointed. While the landscaping and swimming areas are still so charming. And the adult Texas pool is a wonderful quiet retreat from all the kids running around:) And the day spa pass for $20 is still worth it to pamper yourself and enjoy the private pool.....I feel like the crowds are overrunning this place! We had major problems checking in and it took about 3 hours to get a room. They did compensate us with a resort credit but we felt like the staff overall was not very accommodating or as friendly as other Hyatts we have been. Minus the vacation club employee was overly friendly trying to get you to tour that facility! I missed the charm of the old decorations, too. They recently remodeled with a more contemporary style and it just wasn't the same...We did think the dinner buffet was well worth the $25/person for the selection and quality offered and it was nice to have the quick store to buy sandwiches from. Some of the exterior of the building is showing significant signs of wear and the bikes were in pathetic condition. Just not sure if this is worth the over $300 price tag..

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that has shade or a view of trees
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Texans112
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel made me re-write my review. No....I was not forced - just a great experience towards the end.

This place is great for our staycation. So close to Sea World. I will not repeat what others have mentioned already....but, what made me retract my previous review is the SPA. Yes, it is not free which was my cons initially. However, I'm glad it is NOT free since the peaceful - restful ambiance I'm looking for was successfully achieved! I paid $20 per person per day ( I only used it for 1 day). They actually have a "family day" which allowed my 9 year old son come with us inside the spa. This is awesome since my son does not want to go to the Camp Hyatt. They didn't even charged him! I only paid for my husband and my myself. The facility is free for those who booked spa services (massages, pedicure,etc). I'm a budget traveler and I refuse to pay $100+++ for massages. Any how, while you're in the spa, there are unlimited snacks (cookies, muffins, erc.) and drinks (water with sliced orange and cucumber; juices, coffee, tea, etc.). We ended up staying for 7 whole hours! The pool is soooooo nice in the spa. Don't miss the steam room.

Why didn't I give the full 5 star? I just think their towels are a little forward. They are so rough and yellowish in color. I think it's time to buy new towels - we just paid $200 per night (excluding the resort fee, taxes,etc....you get the point). They will really nickel and dime you (a small popcorn costs $2 - it's free at Drury). The bedsheets made me itch. I don't know how they wash their sheets, but i got so itchy during the whole stay. After this stay, we went to Wimberley Texas and stayed at Cypress Creek Cottages - towels here are so new and the sheets are so soft - no itchy skin...hmmmmm.

What have I learned?
Booking on Mondays straight from their website will save you up to $50 per night -- and you get more perks instead of using travel sites such as Travelocity,etc.

FYI:
1. As of July 2013-- there is a construction going on around the resort. If this bothers you, call them and see if they can give you a discount.

2. Flow Rider is not free.

3. You will hear kids running up and down the hallway- since it's a kid-friendly resort.

4. Be very careful riding their bikes. My husband fell hard since the handle is not tightly screwed. My seat kept on sliding down. Again, it needs fine tuning. It's included in you daily resort fee.

I guess the high dollar rate is due to their staff - very commendable. I did not see one single employee looking annoyed and/or unpleasant. My hats off to you guys.

Will I come back? Definitely- but just to use the spa. They do allow non-guests to use the spa- just give them a call. I probably will stay in a more budget friendly hotels instead. If you want to stay at this resort because of their water feature (pool)...just go to Aquatica inside Sea World.

Overall, 3 stars is my final verdict as I am comparing this to other "resorts" that I have been.

Areas to improve on:
1. Buy new fluffy white towels please. I understand "Earth friendly" motto - I hope you are not using this as an excuse from buying new towels.
2. Fix equipment you listed as included in the resort fee...we are paying a lot for it.
3. Give discount since there are construction everywhere.
4. Flow Rider should be free and included in the resort fee.
5. Try not to sell the neighboring Hyatt Wild Oaks - let the guests approach you instead.

If you already booked and can't cancel - my advise is to enjoy the company of each other and focus on "good" feature of this hotel - you will find one- you have to find one since you paid a hefty money to stay here. Have fun!

3  Thank mjpatterson
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to update your initial review. I appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and how accommodating they are. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your spa family day experience.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your extensive comments and suggestions with the rest of our leadership team. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and helps us make important changes to ensure a flawless guest experience.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very welcoming and accommodating. True southern hospitality. Beautiful plantation feel to it. Great full-day activity schedule each day for the kiddos, posted conveniently. My son who is autistic LOVED the pool and the lazy river. We loved the poolside service. Just ice water? Sure. Steak nachos? You bet. The breakfast buffet had everything, although kinda pricey. Delicious food no matter where or when it was ordered, and always delivered with a smile. We enjoyed movies on the lawn at dusk, and smores by the firepit. If it rained, nothing outdoors was cancelled, they always had an alternate place inside to keep the activity on schedule. Great walking/biking trails. We even found a hammock in a quiet clearing in the woods. In conversation with other guests, most we spoke with had been coming there for years. We hope to have the same tradition. We were originally going to stay along the Riverwalk but I'm so glad we hit the Hill Country instead! The only thing I can advise is that when you book with a discount hotel site (we used otel.com) it's mentioned extra fees may apply... I figured it was basic taxes, etc. However upon checking out turns out there was a $26/per day Resort Fee, that covers all of the activities, etc. Maybe if you're part of the Resort/Timeshare community you don't have it, but I guess all the regular 'hotel' rooms are charged this fee. It is absolutely worth it for the kids...just do the homework so you aren't surprised at the end of the week. :-) Overall, we truly enjoyed every aspect of it and I didn't even get to the spa....take your family and enjoy!

Room Tip: they are adding a new wing, ask for available rooms away from that area. we actually were close to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank K C
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful 5 star review of your recent visit. I was so pleased to read that you and your family had a good time. I will share your comments about our poolside service with our culinary team. We strive to provide warm and authentic hospitality to each guest and I am proud that our team delivered that to you.

I was so happy to read about your son and how much he enjoyed the pool. Several of our employees have children with autism and we know firsthand how scary it can be to take them into a new environment. I am so thrilled that he was able to enjoy his vacation as well.

You also mentioned renovation. We are adding a 20,200 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens, which is scheduled for completion this fall. Guests can certainly ask to be placed in guestrooms on the other side of this area.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Trip advisor reviews have nailed this one pretty well: a very good hotel not a great one. I have heard about the lazy river here for years-20 years ago I'm sure it was state of the art, now just meh. Water slide is unimaginatively set apart. New attraction: wave rider is outrageously expensive $15 initiation then $35 per HOUR. Thankfully my 11 year old thought it was a ripoff and didn't want me to pay for it. Hotel exterior is beautiful but rooms need some updating. Glad I am only staying one night.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank MayorMom

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on your recent Hill Country stay. I am sorry your visit did not exceed your expectations.

I welcome the opportunity to earn your business again.