“GREAT!!!!!!!!”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I planned a surprise 50th B-day for my husband at this resort. It was indeed a surprise all the way around. He and our son and a few friends all came in to celebrate the occasion. He could not say enough about the resort and service. The golf course was one of the best he has ever played and he has played all over the world. From the staff to the food to the activities, there really were no words to express how awesome his weekend turned out to be. I am so glad I chose this hotel. Nothing could have been better!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Reviewed May 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed in March of 2007 and 2008. 5 nights each trip. It is a great place outside of the San Antonio downtown. The riverwalk is about 15 minutes away and so is the airport.

The spa is very nice. We both took advantage of it. It has an adult pool so if you don't have kids it is nice. There is a lot of families with children but it is a big place.

The rooms are very clean. The size of an average hotel room. The rooms are spread out over the hotel property so depending on where you end up, you may have a bit of a walk to certain areas.

The hotel grounds and location is the best part. A beautiful country setting. Ground keepers must work hard!!

Not much variety in restaurants but room service was always available!

Get a rental car if you plan to go downtown a lot. We did our first trip there, but enjoyed the hotel on our second trip.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Chrisndarcy
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed here in October over a long weekend. This was our second visit but first since they renovated the rooms. We went once years ago when my 9 yr. old was a baby. We loved the resort. My daughter rode bikes, my son and husband hit balls at the driving range and we enjoyed the lazy river. I would highly recommend this property. It's great for kids and an easy trip from Houston to San Antonio for a weekend.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Overall we enjoyed our stay, it’s a nice property that could use some polish in service. I have tried to be specific about things that aren’t on the hotel website, hope you find it helpful...
Rooms: In excellent condition, comfortable bed, standard TV. About 2/3 of the rooms have a small balcony or patio. Many overlook wooded courtyards.
Recreation: 4 pools with lots of shade. There’s a very small heated kiddie pool, 1 foot deep, next to a large main pool with a lazy river, not heated. The chilly water took some getting used to. If the water is this cool in April, the river pool must be unusable for 5 or 6 months of the year. Another small heated free form pool nearby is referred to as the adult pool, but had plenty of kids, since the main pool was cold. There are 2 hot tubs in the pool complex. The 4th pool is at the spa, for adults only, and is heated and suitable for lap swimming. However, hotel guests can’t use this pool unless they’ve booked a spa treatment, or pay a $15 per person for a day pass. (on top of the $15 per room per day resort fee that everyone pays.) The day pass allows use of the spa pool, Jacuzzi, steam, sauna and lockers. There are complimentary bicycles available, including a few small bikes with training wheels. They have a campfire with s’mores on weekends, too. The golf course looked nice, but we didn’t’ use it.
Fitness: The gym has 6 treadmills, half were broken. They also have a small selection of weight machines, and a small locker room with a sauna. This is the weak point of the resort, and should be expanded/renovated to be competitive. I much prefer an arrangement where the gym is part of the spa complex, like at several other Hyatt and Marriott resorts at which we have stayed. The spa itself was pretty nice, and I had a very good message there.
Dining: The main all day restaurant, Windflower Café, has pretty good food but disorganized service; it can be slow. The breakfast buffet is offered only on weekends this time of year, maybe more often in busy periods. There is also a seafood buffet on Fridays, it wasn’t bad. We ate one evening at Antlers, the upscale restaurant. Things started off well, with a friendly waitress and excellent appetizers. Then a group of 6 businesspeople were seated nearby and began ordering expensive bottles of wine. Smelling a big tip, our waitress began fussing over them and we ceased to exist to her. The pace of the meal fell apart, and our entrees sat at the chef’s station so long I was tempted to go get them myself. BTW, the wine list was mediocre. The corporate expense account clientele seem to be their main focus at this restaurant. We were the only couple, and we felt a bit snubbed. Other dining options include a lunch place at the golf club, which we didn’t try, a poolside bar/restaurant that was only open weekends, and a small convenience store selling snacks and sandwiches. We didn’t go to the bar at all, but judging from the aroma wafting out from it, it must be popular with cigar smokers.
Kids: We signed up our 6 year old daughter at Camp Hyatt the night we went to Antlers. She didn’t want to go at first, but afterwards kept asking when she could go back, so they must be doing something right! It was $45 plus tip for a 4 hour evening session including dinner.
The area: Aside from being very close to Sea World, the area is kind of desolate and lacks interesting dining or shopping nearby. It’s a sprawling area so a car is essential. Routine strip mall shopping and chain restaurants are available about 10 minutes down the road. In good traffic, downtown is 25 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights while attending a conference. I concur with most of the positive reviews. This is a nice hotel for either families or couples looking for a nice getaway.

The rooms are nice but perhaps a little dated. Most have balconies and feature an in room fridge which is nice to have on a multi night stay. The restaurants were OK although we didn't get to eat at the Antler's Lodge because it was full the nights we were free. The Long Bar is a lot of fun. The pool complex is spread out so it doesn't feel crowed. The golf course is right there on the property and it is a very nice track from comments I received. (I played offsite)

My wife and I did get a couples massage at the spa and I highly recomend the facility. The staff bent over backwards to make the treatment enjoyable for my wife and I. The rates are in line (or lower) with most resort spas.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We just got back from the Hyatt Hill Country and we really enjoyed it.
The kids enjoyed the pools (although they were pretty cold) and especially liked the lazy river. The bottom of the pools are tinted black or brown to give it a more natural look but I wasn't expecting this and felt it looked a little murky. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. My husband and kids rode bikes everyday and on the weekend we all enjoyed the fire pit and s'mores. We went during our kids spring break April 12-19, but it seems that no other kids in this area are off then because it was pretty empty during the week. This was nice because we didn't feel pushed around or that we couldn't get a seat, but it also meant that the hotel didn't have as many activities for the kids. An another upside to not having other kids off at this time was that Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas had low attendance and so the kids could ride the amusements several times over with no line.
The rooms were clean and nice but we overlooked the parking lot where the buses would stand to let conference people off and on, it got a little annoying to hear and smell this everyday. The staff were friendly and helpful, one night my husband left the lights on in our car and the front desk called us to let us know about this. Another day he dropped his credit card in the parking lot and some nice person turned it into the front desk, they called us immediately to return it.
The Springhouse breakfast buffet was very good, we especially liked the blintzes on Sunday. Dinners were good here also.
All in all we had fun and were able to relax which is exactly what we were looking for in this vacation. We would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed a few days in February for a relaxing retreat and loved it. This is a beautiful, self-contained resort with lots of room to roam - both the grounds and the buildings. A luxury resort that seems very well-run. The food was excellent - but not cheap - and service with a smile. If you are not with a group, I can see two reasons you might like this place: a family who wants the kids activities and lazy river. or a couple for a relaxing retreat. My advice is to avoid spring break and most of the summer if you are in the second category. Overall a first class Texas resort - Hyatt knows what they are doing!

• Stayed: February 2008