“Hyatt Hill Country Elementary”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great place with a gorgeous outdoors/pool facility... but ONLY for kid-lovers or if you're bringing your little ones. At check in... I felt like I was standing in the middle of a playground. It actually reminded me of standing in the middle of one of those playgrounds inside a mall. Kids were running everywhere and families were coming in with 3-4 kids each. I laughed and made the joke that it should be called Hyatt Hill Country Elementary. I'm not a kid-hater by any means.... but just wouldn't pay $300 to stay here unless you're doing a kid thing. I would have LOVED to sit back and enjoy they hotel but there was no relaxing here...

One other note= families came into the Regency club with no shoes, barefoot, and some in robes. EHh... I paid too much & would prefer a more upscale environment...

Super Pro = They actually heated the pools/lazy river!!! Wow!

Strengths = outdoors/pool/lazy river, customer service was outstanding.
Average = rooms were pretty good, Hyatt Regency Club amenities in comparison to others
Weakness = Kid kingdom

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAKHouston
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your most recent stay. On behalf of the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We strive to provide a fun and relaxing experience to each guest and clearly we did not deliver that to you.

The resort is a spring break and summer haven for families, but you will discover a whole other resort awaits you once the children are back in school. In planning your next Hill Country vacation, you may want to consider visiting us over a fall weekend, or mid-week in September, October or November. I would be pleased to assist you in securing your next reservation.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Melody.goeken@hyatt.com

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Pros:
- The hotel was in great condition, the staff was friendly and there was always something to do. The hotel was under construction, but they did a great job of keeping the site out of mind and out of sight. They had s'mores in the evening and a movie for the kiddos (not ours) The rooms were average, nothing special. The grounds were clean and the pool side waitress was a huge plus.

Cons:
- They only had two elevators in the our wing of the hotel. We literally waited (by a stopwatch) 4 minutes to get a elevator ride. Between four floors and a some-odd 200 guests, it made for a hectic ride up and down. My wife and I took the stairs most of the time after that.

- The bed was the hardest (not exaggerating) bed I have ever laid on. Simply put....We though maybe it was a remote control, his side her side type bed....but it simply was just really really hard. My wife and I did not sleep much and she is still sore here at home.

- The lazy river was allot of fun, and they kept it open until 12MN....HOWEVER!, there were no lights in the river area once it became dark. And after one of the kids around me found a snake (dead, but nonetheless) on the side of the river, it made me and my wife just not want to go in there after dark. Why have a heated river, open 'till 12MN, but not keep it lit??...

- This one I should have checked before hand, but I do not understand why a Holiday Inn Express type hotel can offer free breakfast, but one like this they charge....and charge an arm and a leg! $21/Person....OUCH!

Please don't think that I am just a mad customer, but my review is based upon one simple formula (Quality >= $$). Many of people might disagree, but it was not worth the money put forth. I think that if we visit the 'Sea World Area' of San Antonio again, we will go for the Express.

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room....You do not have to wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you to taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent stay, I appreciate you mentioning our incredible staff, we work very hard to deliver excellent service. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience of our renovation project. We have since updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. And our grounds were enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was the second time in 4 months we stayed here. My young family loves it. The staff was awesome, they even do their best to remember you name and make sure to greet you with your last name. The property is very well maintained, especially outside. We love walking the grounds. S'mores and an outside movie for the kids. Other activities during the day, so are free others cost a small fee. They just finished renovating the lazy river and pools. There is one heated pool along with a very nice hot tub to go with it. The golf course I fun and you can get a pretty good deal on golf now. I wouldn't pay their full price, but I think we paid $54 for a Saturday tee time on golf now. The food I very good but can get expensive. The stake house is delicious. Overall, I think we are going to make it an annual tradition to come back here. The location is NOT supposed to be convenient to down town, that is what makes it a nice get away. Last thing....they charge a $20 resort fee which I am not a fan of, but it seems most nice resorts are doing this now, and atleast you get a lazy river and activities with that.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JakeAggie

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of your recent Hill Country visit. I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your recent visit.

S’mores and movies on the lawn are two of our most popular activities.

You also mentioned our renovation, by October we will have updated all guest rooms with new wall coverings, flooring, and fresh tile in the bathrooms, updated furniture and Hyatt’s Grand Bed. Edge Falls, our waterpark expansion, will bring us to 5 acres of splish splashy fun consisting of a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar. Groups will appreciate the addition of a 20,200 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

I hope you will make visiting us an annual tradition.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this resort. The swimming pools and the floating river kept our twin 8 year old granddaughters entertained the three days of our stay. (March 8th-9th and 10th..check-out 11th) There were movies and s-more making in the evenings. The property is set back and very secluded. All the staff was very friendly. The hotel is located across from Sea World and just a few miles from Six Flags. It was a way from downtown and the riverwalk but that was not important for this "kid" vacation. We will go back. I would have given this hotel a 5 but the room was too small for four people even though two were small.. I will book a suite next time. Also there is a massive property renovation in progress and some might find it a nuisance...Other than that go take the kids...It's worth the money...ps the sheets were fab.

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony if available. it's a nice touch.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your perfect scores on our cleanliness, service, value, location and sleep quality!

I was so happy to read that our Ramblin’ River kept your twin granddaughters busy! You mentioned room size; I have two suggestions that may offer you more room during your next Hill Country visit.
1-Adjoining rooms, when available, would be a great option for you. Two full sized guestrooms with a door in the middle for access. You can request the “family plan” which (when available) will give you half-off of your second room.
2-Another great option is our Hill Country Suite, a junior sized suite with a private king bedroom and a large parlor with a full-sized pull out sofa bed. The room has 2 TVs so each twin can watch their favorite show at the same time!

You also mentioned our renovation, By October we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was here for a 3 day conference. Overall, if I could give this place 3.5 stars I would. Certain things were great - the staff here really fell over itself to please, which was good. that said, I sent a Fedex one day. It was delivered without a problem, but it wasnt on my bill when I left. They said they'd e-mail me with the charge, and I havent seen it yet, over a day after I left.
Overall, though, I really found my room comfortable. The bed was great, and the bathroom was totally acceptable - good water pressure.
I liked the setting - the conference facilities were good. One thing - I didnt see wireless in the conference facilities, which is a problem and was for me and my colleagues during the day.
The hotel overall was nice, but it was just far from downtown. if you want to be close to the city and the riverwalk, this place is far - probably a 25-30 minute drive. Overall, a solid property, but not one I'd want to return to if my primary goal was to be near San Antonio's main attractions (and for me at least, Sea World doesnt count).

Room Tip: Stay away from the construction areas.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your generous 5 star review of our service, cleanliness and sleep quality. We strive to provide a pristine and comfortable guestroom and delivering warm and welcoming hospitality. I am pleased that we delivered that to you and your group.

I apologize for the Internet access; we offer Wi-Fi throughout our meetings spaces and ballrooms. Without knowing the exact date of your visit I am unable to determine what may have happened to cause you difficulty in accessing.

While the resort may feel isolated, we are only 20 minutes from downtown San Antonio and the beautiful River Walk, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for a long Valentines weekend with my wife. WOW! What a great resort. We didn't want to be in the hustle of the Riverwalk for the entire time, so we chose this resort and drove into the city center for one day, and then drove into the Hill Country for another day trip. Great location to do both and still have a quiet, relaxing full-service resort waiting for you. And this is close to Sea World!

The resort staff is the best I have seen. I spend 200+ nights per year in hotels, so I see it all from great to horrid. This was bar-none the best I've seen on three continents. Everyone went over the top to make our stay perfect. Concierge was very helpful. Desk staff greeted me by name everytime they saw me.

The food in the restaurant was top notch. Breakfast was great. You have to try the weekend brunch at least once - it is worth the price and full of tasty surprises. Servers are on top of everything. You won't have to ask for a refill on anything, and they offer you to-go cups of coffee or juice when you leave. A nice touch.

Golf staff was great as well. I wanted to hit balls on the range each day, but didn't bring my clubs. They hooked me up with a new Calloway Razor X driver for all three days - at No Charge! I really got my driving game tuned up. The course looked to be scenic and challenging. I can't wait to come back and try it.

Spa was under renovation, but fitness center was open. Good equipment, although not overly large for a big resort. Nice surprise - locker rooms attached to the fitness center have saunas! Nice for post-exercise stretch or heating up after a winter run. I'm sure the new spa will be 5-star.

If you are travelling with kids, this has to be THE Texas resort for a summer trip. They have a 5-acre water park (under renovation this winter, but it looks awesome) for the kids, a full-service kids program with evening events (had Smores with them one evening by the fireplace), plenty of room to roam the area, and the resort has two pet dogs that can have some kid interaction at times. Mom and Dad can chill or play golf while the kids have a blast. And, it is only a mile from Sea World.

And this final touch - the mattress was AMAZING! I want to buy it! Makes every bed I have slept in for the past five years seem cheap. Better than Westin's. Better than the Ritz. Better than the Waldorf. Better than the sleep number or the foam beds. I have slept in them all in my travels, and nothing topped this bed. I have to ask the GM where to get one.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a suite, and if you have kids, then get an adjacent double room that connec...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I have shared your incredible comments will our entire staff and we are so thrilled to read about the details of your recent Hill Country visit!

Thank you for recognizing our service, our associates strive to provide a warm and welcoming experience to every guest, I am pleased that we delivered that to you. Our Springhouse staff is amazing, many of them have been with us for most of our 20 years and they truly make the difference between a good meal and a great experience.

Our golf team lives to share their love of the game, the Calloway Razor X drivers are a tremendous addition to our equipment and I am glad you were able to enjoy them.

You also mentioned our resort ambassadors, Rowdy & Stella, our lab/retriever mixes we rescued from the Humane Society, they have certainly made themselves at home and are part of our younger guests “must see” list!

I am glad you noticed our new bedding, the Grand Beds are incredible, and are now in all 500 of our guestrooms. You can order your very own Grand Bed by visiting hyattgrandbed dot com!

I hope to welcome you back to see all of our many enhancements.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We returned to the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort for the third time for a group golfing trip.

There is renovation going on which caused some trouble for some in our group (water turned off in rooms from 10 to 4 each day), but our wing just had the a partial elevator outage and some winding in and out to find the meeting rooms for some of our evening events. If that sort of thing annoys you, you should wait until the renovations are completed. I didn't find it troubling. The staff seems to be going out of their way to be friendly and accomodating - always smiling and if you look the least bit lost, are asking if you need help.

It was cool and windy during our stay so we didn't use the pool. - and some of the outdoor pool areas were closed due to the renovations.

I enjoyed the food - some in our group did not, but I find they are the same ones that usually do not enjoy something about our accomodations. :)

The beds are a little firmer than I prefer, but not extremely so. The rooms were a nice size and include a refrigerator, a nice size dressing area and are decorated nicely.

We look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

WOW! I am blown away with your generous 5 star review. I so appreciate your understanding with our renovation projects, specifically the power and water issues that occurred during your stay.

I do hope you will visit us when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

We look forward to welcoming you again.