“Beautiful. Family oriented resort.”

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
Ranked #11 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The girls (7 & 4 yrs old) loved the camp & activities, & of course the lazy river & beach area. The wife enjoyed the margaritas & the service. This can, however, get very expensive. Overall very nice 5 day vacation. Definatly a family resort. Many activities for the kids. Would recommend but only if you are willing to drop mucho dinero.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank paulovolo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,633)

Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort along with her parents and sister's family. Her parents were gracious enough to pay for our stay. The total bill for our room, with breakfast, drinks and taxes came to around $1000 for 2 nights! The both of us had our own room with a king sized bed. The room was very comfortable and very spacious. It was ground level, so it was very easy to walk out the sliding glass door, onto the patio and then onto the trail that led to the pool area. The breakfast that was included in our room price was very good and consisted of a "higher-end" breakfast buffet with just about anything you could think of to eat. I think the price per person for breakfast was around $20 all you can eat. Overall, this place seems like it's geared toward families with younger kids. The place was packed with them and if you were trying to get away with your better half, you would have been annoyed by all of the screaming and little ones running around. They had a petting zoo presentation the first night and showed Cars the movie the second night on the lawn. The pool area is ok but it was crowded...don't expect to get a relaxing swim without being bumped into by a little one or an inner tube or shamu float. The beers cost $7 each and the mixed drinks were in the $10-$15 range each...so you could spend a fortune if you have more than a couple throughout the day. The resort is very close to Sea World which is convenient. This place seemed very expensive to me, and if I was paying for this stay, I would have probably stayed at the newer Holiday Inn just down from this resort for less money. But if you were trying to find a family staycation close to home, this place would be great for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms for good access to trails
1  Thank travelingAggie
tripper1919, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent summer vacation experience and for recognizing the many family-friendly activities we offer throughout the summer. I hope you will visit us again once the children are back in school; the hotel becomes a wonderful place for adults to reconnect and to relax. In planning your next Hill Country vacation, you may want to consider visiting us over a fall weekend, or mid week in October or November.

We hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

After about a 13 hour drive my family and I was anxious to get to the hotel. Right from the start the staff was excellent. They helped us unload our car and bring our bags to our room. At the check-in desk we received cold lemonade which was a relief from the heat. There was a mixup with our room but they fixed it immediately. The hotel was beautiful and large. We had a 2 double bed room. Our room was clean and nice. I wouldn't recommend it for 2 adults and 2 teens but we made it work. The lazy river was definitely lazy. I wished it was longer. Also be careful of the little kids i almost ran one straight over. We ate at the springhouse cafe while we were there during the Italian buffet night. The food was good but nothing was amazing. All in all i had an amazing stay it was always nice to get out of the heat after a long day of sightseeing.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

First time I have reviewed this property, but I have stayed here many, many times over the years with just my husband or with our kids. I have always been impressed with the consistency of this hotel. First, the staff go out of their way to please. Anytime I have passed a staff employee, I am always given an acknowledgement and smile.

The property is gorgeous. Always spotlessley maintained. Just walking around is a treat. If you are lucky, as we were on this trip, you will spot the famous "black squirrels"....it took me coming here ten time to finally see one!

The spa on property is awesome and truly a unique and professional operation. Having had facials for over thirty years, I can safely say that I have had the best ones here. And even if you choose not to have a treatment, just to sit in the jacuzzi is amazing. There is a small pool and spa outside the spa just for adults, which is nice to just relax.

But, the best part of this property, if you have kids, is the lazy river and small beach. My kids never tire of this activity. Although we were not here with kids on this trip, there were numberous kid activity stationed around the property.

The rooms are large and very comfortable. Can't say enough here about this.

The restaurants are good, but I don't usually eat in hotel restaurants, preferring to eat off property.

Overall, this is a wonderful place to stay, and as mentioned, I have stayed over ten times.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We go to an annual meeting here and have always enjoyed it. The lazy rivers is fun for kids and adults and lots of activities for kids. There is an adult pool when you get tired of the kids. We have been coming here since our kids were young. They always looked forward to the lazy river, s'mores by the fire at night, the movie on the lawn.
It is expensive, even at the corporate rate. Food is good but also pricey.
The pool is usually crowded and it was hard to find an empty chair, even at 5pm. People don't take their towels with them, and there isn't pick up of towels that are left unused, so you don't know whether a seat is taken or not.
Service is usually good and very friendly.
I had an unfortunate experience with check in this time, which is unusual. Had to wait 3 hours for my room; it wasn't ready even at 4pm.
But, we had a good time as always.
One downside--if you haven't been to San Antonio before, this is WAY off the beaten path from the Riverwalk. Do that another trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
tripper1919, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you for the review of your recent Hill Country visit. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all of our many family activities includind s'mores and our movies on the lawn!

I apologize for your pool experience. we have a full time team that specifically manages the pool/water features areas and watches for abandoned towels. Due to the huge numbers of poolside guests this has been a challenging task.

I also apologize for the delay in getting your read ready for check-in. As you may know, check-out is at 11 am and check-in is a 4pm. We use that brief window to clean and restock each departed guestroom, unfortunately, not all rooms are vacated at 11, which does tend to extend the check-in time for the next guest. I am hopeful that the front desk was able to store your luggage and extend the full amenities of the resort to you while you waited.

Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the appropriate departments.

I hope you will consider visiting us again and allow us the opportunity to provide you with the flawless experience we strive to provide each guest.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed here to combine a family vacation with a visit with family in Bandera. We had stayed at the sister property in Bastrop a few years back, and that was probably a better experience because it was not during a universal school vacation so the place was not mobbed with little kids.
That being said, we managed to avoid the little kids (ours used to be little, but this was like being at Disney), by hanging out at the adult pool, for which our kids qualified. This pool is beautiful and relaxing. And by lazy-rivering only late at night (with a closing of midnight, this was lovely). Small rant - why can't parents tell their children what is acceptable and what is not? If you let them loose, remind them that the lazy river is LAZY, not a place for you to jump into while those lazing are trying to laze, or to swim under people while they are in their tubes....
While on our balcony overlooking the main entrance area (still very pretty, lovely trees, etc), we watched SUV after SUV unloading family after family. If you are looking for a relaxing, non-kid-drenched retreat, make sure you book during the school year. I have never seen so many SUVs, and during a gas crisis!
Front desk and retail and wait staff were totally delightful. And I can imagine the demands they get! Room was lovely, very clean, very comfortable, kind of western-themed. Our only TRUE complaint was the housekeeping staff. While our room was very clean, they didn't replenish the amenities (from soap to shampoo to coffee) - we had to call several times and they responded quickly, but still...for that amount of $$, replenish the soap please? AND, they were SO LOUD in the hallways - yakking away in Spanish right outside our door and others, starting at 8am - people are on vacation, and they may be SLEEPING, and they really don't want to hear your conversation. At one point we were coming back to our room and a loud housekeeping conversation was going on between two rooms across the hall from each other. The housekeeping staff would shout at one another from all over the place, across atriums, down hallways. I found this SO surprising in a hotel of this quality.
Other than that, the grounds are gorgeous, the gym is nice but nothing super luxurious, public spaces are great, poolside menu fine, retail outlets overpriced, but to be expected. We'd return but not during school break for sure. We remember what it was like when our kids were little but when I want to be swarmed with young 'uns I'll go to the Magic Kingdom!
One more rant - WHY do people go to beautiful hotels and not locate the trash bins? While lazy rivering at night we saw staffers removing cans and paper from the beautiful landscaping - it is so disrespectful - just because you spend a ton of money does not mean you should use the ground, the grass, as your trash can. People can be so rude. The staffers were on top of it, but you just wonder what they think of the guests that do this....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so very much for feedback from your recent Hill Country stay. Our staff works diligently to make sure the resort grounds are clean and trash free. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay even though we had so many children visiting during your stay. The resort is a mecca for families all summer as well as holiday weekends and Texas spring break, but when the kids are in school the resort is a haven for adults seeking a quite, relaxing getaway. I hope you will come back another time in the year to experience that seclusion for yourself.

I apologize for the hallway noise and will inform our housekeeping department about your experience, hopefully we can find a solution so other guests will not have the same "wake-up" as you did.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments.

Hope to welcome you home again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here. I was a little nervous after reading reviews on all the kids running around if this would be romantic enough. But it was a wonderful time! We arrived Thursday evening and upgraded to a wonderful hyatt regency king room with 2 bathrooms. We were given a coupon for a free dessert at the cafe. We went out to the adult pool around 10pm and no one was out there. The pools are open to midnight. The next day we spent at the adult pool and at its maximum there were 10 adults. The sounds of the waterfalls drowned out any other distractions. The inter tubes in the pool were wonderful to float on. We ordered poolside service for lunch which was nice. The rest of our meals we ate at the Regency club which was good. The Saturday breakfast was european style and delicious with smoked salmon! The grounds were amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed the nature walk. One of my favorite activities was sitting in the hammocks in the cool evening breeze. The bikes you can check out were rickety and poor-probably my only negative comment. We got a day pass to the spa on Saturday which was so wonderful and relaxing and uncrowded! We will be back. They had a great family special going on for golf-4 for $99 in the afternoon!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple