“Look Somewhere Else”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Look Somewhere Else”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

When we booked this hotel, we were surprised to have found one "on" the Riverwalk at such a good price. Then, when we saw that we had a room that looked down on the Riverwalk itself, we were pretty pleased. We went out, and when we returned that evening and my wife opened up the water to bathe our daughter, we found that the bathtub in our room was clogged. We called down and they sent up the maintenance man, and his suggestion was to pour some Drano down the drain to see if it unclogged it. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of waiting to see "if" that worked or not, so I requested a different room. We were moved across the hall, to the other side of the building. I guess we were punished for asking for a different room because even though all the drains worked, we had a view of nothing but the sides and rooftops of other buildings, including the hotel's a/c building. It was about 2 floors down from our window, and it was LOUD. Very distracting. My wife wanted me to call down and request a different room, but I refused, afraid we'd be moved TO the a/c room. We grinned and beared it, but it was two nights of fitful sleep. Not what you want on vacation. There is no free breakfast offered, and everything is very expensive. If you really want to stay somewhere on the Riverwalk, I suggest you find something nicer with a better location, or stay outside of the Riverwalk altogether.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
Petersburg, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel totally met our expectations. Very well-managed and has clean, spacious rooms. The building is directly on the River Walk with easy access to shops, restaurants, etc. We stayed for two nights and although we could hear some noise from the streets, it was no different from sleeping in hotels in other larger cities (such as New Orleans or Chicago). If you are down in the city, you are going to hear city noises. However, it would appear that most of the shops closed around 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. so it really wasn't an issue. Frankly, there was more noise from the guests checking out in the mornings than from the people on the streets at night.
A couple things to note: First -- the pool was closed for maintenance. I don't know what the problem was or why they would close it during the height of tourist season but we did not have access to that or to the spa during the time we were there.
Second --- there are no refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms. This might be an issue for some people traveling who need to store medication, baby bottles, or just a "take-out" sandwich.
However, I have every confidence that the staff would have attempted to accommodate us.
Good place to stop!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada, USA
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Arrival was caotic at best. Very poor entrance for vehicles and even worse trying to maneuver in the parking garage. The trip was booked two months in advance and was assured by the hotel desk agent that no big events would be going on during our stay. My husband and I and my sister and her husband, were celebrating our 30 year anniversaries. When we checked in, the "trainee" identification tag on the desk agent should have been a clue that things would not go smoothly. It was well after the check in time of 4pm and were told the rooms were not ready. Then my sister and her husband were told the same thing. We reminded this young lady that in our reservation, we had requested rooms next to each other on the balcony side. She stated that there was nothing available. We requested to speak with a manager. After several requests to speak with management, a gentleman finally appeared and was very matter-a-fact in stating that the desk agent was correct. He said there was Reba McEntire concert, a George Strait concert and a wedding party in the hotel and what would we like him to do. We suggested that he refund our money and we would go somewhere else. But since we were required to pay for two nights for each room in advance upon booking, he stated he couldn't give us our money back.
After waiting approx 1 hour for rooms to come available, they finally found two rooms next to other. We got to our rooms and were ready to put the unpleasantness of the check-in behind us, only to find when we opened our balcony doors, there were workers working right outside our windows. They were drilling, hammering, yelling at each other in Spanish and kicking up a tremendous amount of dirt and dust, not to mention the noise. That night when we tried to go to sleep, there were a number of drunk homeless persons sitting along the riverwalk just across from our rooms that yelled and fought with each other till around 3am. Our party did stay our required 2 nights and then went to the Marriott RiverCenter on the complete other end of the riverwalk. We felt as if we had just left the Twilight Zone and entered a little piece of Heaven. The difference was night and day. It was so pleasant and the employees were so polite and offered any help we might need. It actually made us forget about how bad the Holiday Inn experience was. We have stayed in Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Express' literally all over the world and have never had this kind of experience in any of their hotels before. This is obviously why I stated in the title, "Very poor management.)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HendersonMimi
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Let me get this off my chest before I review the hotel - After a long day of travel and airport delays with a 2 year old, and after a few glasses of wine, it would have taken a freight train to wake me from my slumber. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened - and I was on the top 22nd floor. Our suite (2205) faced the back of the hotel (the opposite of the pool), and at 1:30am, 4am, 5:15 and 6:30am a train blew it's whistle at every intersection, so it went on for at least five minutes each time. Now, I'm not one to complain, I understand the street level noise, the groups drinking and yelling, cars honking. But this was so loud and so long, it will prevent me from staying here again. It was that bad. Every night. It was so bad I called the desk on the 2nd night at 5am to ask for another suite, but none were available. The guy said they obviously have no control over the train, and that sometimes it is 3 or 4 nights in a row, sometimes just one night. We got 4 nights. I am not blaming the hotel, nothing they can do, but I cannot stay here again unless I am on the opposite side of the hotel - our friends had a room facing the pool and had no noise problems. We walked around like zombies the whole vacation from being up all night.
The Hotel: The hotel is in a decent location, on the Riverwalk. My wife had to go to the convention hall, it is a good walk (0.4 miles) - very do-able. But she is pregnant and combined with the Texas heat, she took a cab, $5 bucks each way. The garage is at the hotel, I see no reason to use the valet. The garage is kind of tight parking spaces (minivan), but we never had a problem parking. The staff (front desk) were very friendly and helpful (upon request, within 5 min they had maintenance oiling our hinges on door because it woke or daughter up). The pool and pool area is VERRRRY small - this should be considered if you have kids and plan on swimming every day with them. Also, just a note - we usually go to the pool after sightseeing etc, anywhere from 3pm-6pm - be advised there is no sun on the pool between those hours, but any other time of day or evening, there is sun (if you can find a place to lay (small area)) The towels they provide at the pool are like the size of facecloths. The restaurant was decent for a quick bite before heading out. Don't expect a grand lobby upon entering the hotel. My wife thought the fitness center was lousy, like 3 machines total (one eliptical)
The Rooms: We got a suite. Reasonably priced. They had a good size bedroom and good size living area with chairs, love seat (with pull out bed) and a table and chairs, sink and fridge. The bathroom was in the bedroom, I thought the layout was odd, it should be in the living are, but I'm no interior designer. The big drawback on the room was lack of storage. There was one 3 draw dresser in the bedroom and one in the living room. There was adequate free space in the bedroom for another bureau or dresser. The room was clean, but just sort of felt dated / worn / tired. But it was clean. The bathtub could be updated. The bed was very comfortable and pillows were decent. We tried to have a drink on one of our two balconies, but the city living noise was too much to relax and enjoy the night air. Free wifi, which was good since the tv stations are limited (how about printing out a channel guide?).
Overall, if you take the train out of the equation, the rating goes up to 4. See HobartLane's restaurant reviews in San Antonio on Yelp.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
N. California
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Visited San Antonio the later part of April 2010 on business and had the opportunity to stay at this hotel at a friend's recommendation to stay in downtown San Antonio to enjoy the Riverwalk. From the room to the customer service to the hotel itself was a nice experience which I have no complaint's. The place is centrally located to the Riverwalk which is a big plus and very convenient to many restaurants to enjoy. Should my travel's find myself in San Antonio, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 10, 2010

While for the most part the front desk staff was courteous, we were very disappointed in the service at the hotel. We repeatedly went down to the front desk asking for our room to be made up to no avail. Shortly after 10pm (yes 10 o'clock at night) we did get a knock on the door and a maid gave us two clean towels, that was after much pleading at the front desk and repeated calls requesting assistance. The beds were lumpy and the rooms musty. There were also a number of little things, such as no bag for the ice bucket, no tissues and things like that. We travel frequently, I think this is probably the worst experience I've had considering the price of the hotel and the hype.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Decent enough, but nothing very memorable or exciting. The room is comfortable, clean and the bed is very good. But it lacks an in-room safe and a fridge, which we take for granted these days, and one notices how inconvenient it is without them. The hotel has free wifi throughout the hotel but the signal was not strong enough for me to get onto the internet from my room - yes, I do have a high spec lap top - and there was no port for wired access to the internet as an alternative. Even in the lobby, I couldnt get onto the internet. Huge inconvenience. The hotel is adjacent to the Riverwalk - a very lively stretch of the river in the downtown of San Antonio packed with restaurants and bars. There are plenty of hotels in the area and I wish I have chosen to stay soemwhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business