“You're paying solely for location.”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #17 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

To start off, I was staying for business with a large group. Check in was fine and my room was ready early. When I arrived, there are faux hardwood floors in the room so you can see every ball of lint or hair that wasn't swept up. The floor was dirty, but I wear flip flops in hotel rooms anyway. I went to the fitness facility and experienced a foul smelling room with most equipment not functioning at all or damaged. After the workout, I went back to my room for a shower. When I grabbed a towel, there was a huge hairball in it. Luckily , there were others that appeared clean.
We used the conference facility and it was SO hot. The glasses were banged up and murky looking, there's only a very small restroom so there was a line during every break.
Basically, if I had spent my own money I would've been extremely ticked off at the lack of quality for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013
HolidayInnRiverwalk, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you bringing these cleanliness issues to our attention, and would like to humbly apologize for falling short of your expectations during your time here. Our ultimate goal is to provide a clean and restful environment for our valued guests, and we deeply regret falling short of that during your stay.

I would love to discuss this further with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Thanks,

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The decor has been updated nicely. Our room was spacious, clean, we had a view and also a fridge. The location is wonderful! We ordered room service breakfast and it arrived on time and hot. The pool is a little small but clean and nice. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nursedocstl4
HolidayInnRiverwalk, ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your time here! We hope to host you again the next time your plans include the Alamo City.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location was exactly what we were looking for; it's right on the Riverwalk. Our main concern was the noise from the bars and restaurants. We never had a problem with the noise. On the other hand we were a little disappointed that there was no carpet and no refrigerator in our room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hartes62012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Hartes62012,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know that our location were to your liking and contributed to making your stay that much more comfortable. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with your room accommodation. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I reserved 2 riverview rooms on line and prepaid. I am scheduled to arrive this weekend. I decided to see if I could switch to a suite. The suites are available, the type of rooms I have is sold out. It would cost more to have one suite versus 2 rooms, but I am willing to pay more. I called the hotel but got transferred to the reservation call center. I was told that there was no way I could change my reservation since I prepaid. They said there are no cancellations. I pointed out that I am not canceling, I am trying to pay more for the same 2 nights. They said yes but you would have one suite instead of 2 rooms, so you are canceling. It was absurd.

I asked the reservations person if she was at the property, and she tried to make it sound like she was. When I pressed her for the answer about three times she admitted that she wasn't. I don't know why she was trying to hide the fact, especially when she clearly could not answer a basic question about the rooms without quoting the website.

So what I know so far is that customer satisfaction is not high on their list. I sure hope it gets better when I arrive!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnRiverwalk, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with details of your reservation experience. On behalf of the staff and management here at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk, I'd like to humbly extend an apology for the confusion, and for the misinformation.

I'd love to make this right for you, and for the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to call me at a time that is convenient for you. I hope to have the pleasure of your reply.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel multiple times within the last year, for convenience. It's a great location right on the Riverwalk, close to most the restaurants, shops and bars.

However, the decor and hotel was extremely outdated! I recently in the last month stayed there again after they remodeled, WOW, classy, what a difference....

Biggest transformation was the rooms, they had old 70's colors, and run down carpet, now hardwood floors, well Pergo.... Beautiful, modern, updated rooms....

If you get a room on the Riverwalk, you will have a private balcony, great view..

The valet- great friendly service.. I would definently stay here again.

Room Tip: Riverwalk view with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dyann_12

Dear Dyann_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We greatly appreciate you being a loyal guest of ours, and coming back to see our finished product! (Which we are extremely proud of!) I was so happy to read that you liked our new decor, and look forward to sharing these wonderful comments with our staff.

Thank you!

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights on a group rate. The room was very spacious, but you could tell it had not really been cleaned other than new towels and sheets. There was dirt and hair all over the floor in the room and in the bathroom. Other than that, the room was great! Hotel is within walking distance to most area attractions including the riverwalk. Unfortunately the restaurant in the hotel is another story. We made the mistake if eating dinner there one night. They were not busy other than two large table, one of whom had a personal waiter. There were two other servers and a manager. We waited with our toddler for over 45 minutes for our food and finally received it at 9pm! Then on top of it, our server accused us of not paying for an earlier order. (We did pay for the earlier purchase.) The restaurant is not run in an orderly manner-everyone seemed confused. I would definitely consider staying here again, but would definitely not return to the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013
HolidayInnRiverwalk, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review of your recent stay with us. We're so glad you took advantage of our excellent location on the Riverwalk, and that you found our newly renovated rooms to be spacious. On behalf of our staff and management team, please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encoutered related to the cleanliness of your room, as well as the poor service you received in the restaurant. We deeply regret falling short of your expectations in these areas, and take these matters very seriously. Please trust that the managers involved have been made aware of the situation. I would love the opportunity to discuss this a bit further with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at a time that is convenient for you. I hope to have the pleasure of your reply.

Thank you again for your time and valuable feedback!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I gave a review on my stay at this hotel 3 months ago. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel then. However, my family and two other relatives and their families stayed at this hotel this past weekend and I've had a change of heart about this hotel. I was really disappointed because I recommended this hotel to my family based on my previous experience. :(
The reasons for my disappointment in the hotel are due to noise, elevator issues, and hotel charges applied in error. First the rooms we were in must of had VERY thin walls because the first night my family ( includes two teenage girls) and I heard what must have been a "honeymoon", very uncomfortable. The second night there was a baby in that room who yelled all morning (early). Needless to say it was difficult to get a good nights sleep. As for the elevator issues, this also happened when we stayed during Fiesta but I assumed it was just because the hotel was busy due to the festivities. Well, this time around the elevator was still slow in coming and going and the waiting lines were long again. Plus the garage elevator was broken down. Last, when checking in I clearly explained to the attendant that we had two vehicles for self parking expense. Well, all charges were applied to my brothers hotel room anyway.
With all that being said I don't think I'll recommend or stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make specific room requests to avoid noise concerns.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melicar69

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with details from your recent stay with us. On behalf of the staff and management team at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk, I would like to humbly extend our most sincere apologies for the issues you faced during your time here. We deeply regret falling short of your expectations during your stay, and greatly appreciate you pointing all these issues out to us.

I would love to discuss these matters with you further, as well as discuss a way that we can make this up to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time. I hope to have the pleasure of your reply.

Again, thank you for your time and your extremely valuable feedback.