“Always a convenient place to stay to enjoy riverwalk”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #17 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Always a convenient place to stay to enjoy riverwalk”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Holiday Inn is always a nice place to stay when heading to San Antonio Riverwalk. The hotel is clean and located in a very convenient location to Riverwalk. It is a little off the beaten path but the sidewalks are never crowded in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank N728PR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had traveled from Houston to San Antonio recently, and it was a last minute booking, so we booked here at the Riverwalk. We purchased the room online; a King Size with Couch / Fridge, River side view. Getting here was easy, and the location was great, being only a few minutes from Riverwalk access, also not to far from the Market Square and Alamo. When first arriving, we opted to park ourselves and stray away from valet since we were mostly going to be walking the entire time and not going and out. There was someone to meet us in the carport right away, and gave us our information and ticket. I will say this, the parking is pretty cramped and low. I have a lifted SUV, and I wound up scraping my roof rack one of the overhangs, so easy to say it was probably too tight and I should have chosen their off-site parking. The lobby was dated, smelled old, looked old, and definitely needed to be redone. I know that some of the charm of the riverwalk, the oldness, and antique feel, but this was just felt dated without any charm. When getting our keys, the hostess stated that unfortunately there was an error in our booking and we are going to have a two twin bed room, no fridge, no couch. Keep in mind I traveled with my wife and daughter, so this kind of ruined it for us, but we had came this way and decided to take it because according to the hostess they were overbooked. We did raise a little hell and asked why we were never called or emailed about this error, and the hostess couldn't tell us anything. She did give us free breakfast for the entire weekend which is usually $12 a person, but wasn't satisfied. The room was pretty dated, brass was rusting, shower looked like it was falling apart. The beds were stiff, small, dated linens, overall just musty feel. But we sucked it up and told ourselves we will be going out mostly, so don't make a big deal. Service was ok when asked for a crib for our child. The walls were really thin and seemed like some high school kids were on our floor and were incredibly loud and obnoxious. But I know I can't judge the hotel on the guest it serves. One of the nights we had ran real late getting back and haven't eaten, so we decided to go to their supposedly high calls restaurant. The hotel's restaurant looked like a 1980's Luby's. Smelled like a cafeteria. They had cooked my wifes salmon raw, and they made my super small steak that I requested raw to burnt and above well done. It was probably the worst food I have tasted in my life. Though the breakfast on the other hand was ok, and a nice spread.

In the end, I will not go back here, I'll pay the extra $100 or so for a better hotel for our next stay...

Room Tip: if you book through Holiday Inn, I would not go through their website, the website is flawed and is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank chrmoody
La Porte, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently went on a mini vacation to San Antonio and stayed at Holiday Inn Riverwalk. I had lunch one day, and breakfast another day in the resturant, it was delicious. Also had a drink at the bar in the hotel, it was ok. The view from my room was great, with a balcony. My room was nice. I had a great time staying here, until the last day of my vacation, when my husband joined me an found a open condom wrapper under the bed. I had NO visitors and was actually disgusted that the room wasnt cleaned properly. Other than the condom wrapper incident, my stay was very enjoyable at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Holiday Inn is not my favorite and so my expectations were pretty low but I have also stayed at an overrated hotel that costs 3X as much across the street and this is a good location, the room was nice, clean, nice balcony over a quiet stretch of the Riverwalk and overall a good value.

The only downside would be a little dinginess of the bath install but it was clean and afterall it is a Holiday Inn.

Everything in the room worked, the staff was pleasant and I do plan to return.

Room Tip: get a balcony over the river
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon L
Magnolia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was a very nice hotel on the Riverwalk. It was around the corner from the busy part, so that was good, because the busy part of the Riverwalk can be loud. Very convenient. The lobby was large and pretty, several elevators to choose from. The garage parking was tight. Priority club didn't have to check out until 2pm, so that was very nice, gave us time to go have lunch on the river without luggage in tow.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RandL101
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed August 27, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on here i was a little concerned about our hotel selection; however, i must say I was very pleased by our accommodations during our stay.

The front desk/reception area presented very well and our room was more than fine. I certainly wouldn't say it was brand new but it was clean and plenty adequate for my family.

Breakfast was also VERY good. In fact, we enjoyed the buffet twice during our stay.

And the location was perfect. I would (and probably will) stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Aransas Pass, TX
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My daughter treated me to a weekend retreat to San Antonio and was thrilled to have reservations at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk. The thrill turned to chill when we arrived on the 7th floor where our room was. As soon as the elevator opened the smell of mold hit you, and only got worse after entering our room. Disgusting does not describe the conditions. Ceiling tiles missing, no shower curtain, and the moldy smell was profound. My daughter went down, and was told they had been a miscommunication and was directed to another room on the 8th floor.
It smelled much better, had a shower curtain and no missing ceiling tiles. Then we tried to turn the television on. Nothing for about 8 minutes. We called the desk, and they told her it would take a few minutes to warm up. Once we finally got it to come on, none of the channels showed to be available. We dealt with that for the first night and even after finding a channel we could watch, it shut off after an hour. The next day, we called and they sent maintanenance to help. He checked and after being shown the listings we had for channels, he told us they had changed the listings and we had an old list. He left brought us an updated list, then told us the television had not be programmed. That matter was taken care of. He was very courteous. The air conditioner worked ok, but not as well as it should have. The lobby was very nice, but the air conditioner in the internet room was nil. While the restaurant was limited in what it offered, it was good and the staff was great. This was not what you would expect from a major hotel/motel chain. Will never go back to this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank menhoney
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear menhoney,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am pleased that you liked our location and found our staff service commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with your room accommodations. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.