“Avoid this Riverwalk Hotel”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #17 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 29, 2011

They claim the non-smoking rooms are smoke free rooms, NOT SO! Our room although had a no smoking sign in front, smelled like an ash tray. Don't set up a wake up call as you will never get one. Parking is an additional $18 a day (valet is $26 per day). Room walls are made out of cardboard or so seem as you can hear everything in the next room. The staff is very nice but they can't make up for a poor property.

3  Thank MWG2
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was an absolutely superb hotel! My wife and I stayed here for three nights and could not fault it.

The food was superb, the room was massive and really clean, the pool area was perfect and secluded. The staff were all really friendly and helpful and it is only a short 10 minute walk from the centre of town or a relatively cheap ($1.15 each way) shuttle bus. Wi-fi was free and they had desktop computers for anything you needed to print.

I am not sure if I will get the chance to return to San Antonio but if I do I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shoreboy74
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Service in the hotel was fine; valet and receptionist personnel were helpful and pleasant when we first arrived and let us check in early. The hotel appeared to be an older hotel and had been renovated. The bed was comfortable and amenities were fine, but the walls were very thin and you could hear people in rooms nearby, particularly babies crying. Internet connectivity stunk...was sporadic to say the least. The cable on the tv was very slow in changing channels. Tried to access the elevator on the bottom floor and it was broken; must I go on? Maybe a lot of petty things to complain about....if you only need a place to lay your head and go to sleep then stay here. Otherwise, find a newer, better place close by. Location was good, but there are too many other places to choose from.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I stayed here for three nights for a conference, yes it is right on the riverwalk so is very convenient, but it is the most disfunctional hotel I have ever experienced. The front lobby has a terrible stench that extends to the restaurant. The restaurant is under-staffed so it takes forever to get your food. The beds are creaky - literally you can hear the springs in them. If you have a choice you should go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank crucesaggie
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had a few reservations about staying here after reading some of the reviews; however, our stay was absolutely fabulous. I booked our trip on www.visitsanantonio.com and received one heck of a deal. The hotel is a short walk away from the excitement on the Riverwalk. The Room Service was great and we enjoyed the speedy service. The rooms were pretty average, nothing too special, but comfortable and roomy. We enjoyed the riverview from the balcony in our room. I will stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor for a better view of river
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank kimmkatt
Reviewed June 12, 2011

When I stayed at this hotel with my family I was not impressed. The lobby has a disgusting odor in the air, and the initial service was not what it should have been.

For how much you are paying for a room you also have to pay $18 to park everyday and you have to buy breakfast. It seems as though nothing is complimentary, not even a cup of coffee.

It also took the staff until 2:00pm to make up our room, and when we informed them of a broken vending machine that was dispensing hot sodas and water, we had to inform them a second time before anything was done.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Yes the location is great, but there are plenty of other hotels on the Riverwalk to choose from.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

Although this hotel is conveniently located on the riverwalk, it lacks in every other area. Not only do you have to pay daily to park, there is no complimentary continental breakfast or coffee.

During my stay my room did not get made up until 2pm, and it had an awful smell throughout he lobby and restaurant. On top of everything, the drink machine on my rooms floor had extremely hot beverages coming out of it. When we brought it to the front desks attention nothing had changed by the end of that day. It was still dispensing hot beverages. We had to let them know a second time, maybe after that they decided to fix it... No, but at least they put an out of order sign...kudos for doing your job.

Overall, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. For the price you are paying to stay here it is extremely under par.

1  Thank xXkakXx