“Booked last room”

Reviewed October 9, 2005

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank RedSpyder
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My father, uncle and I shared a room as we were attending a family reunion being held at this hotel. Check-in was quick and friendly. At first we were given a room different than what we requested but when we notified the front desk, they corrected it with no problem. We ended up in a room with two queen beds and a rollaway. Being the junior member of the crew, I rated the rollaway. It was okay as cots go, I suppose. The pillows were decently firm for my taste. My father and uncle seemed comfortable on their beds and I would agree after kicking back on a for a snooze or two myself. I found the room to be clean with a subtle Southwestern theme.
The standard iron and coffeemaker were there and in decent shape.

If you like pool views, I recommend that you request an interior room. It was nice to be able to look out at the pool area from the somewhat small balcony. (I didn't get the chance to take a dip in the pool but the main 5.5 ft. max pool was flanked by a 3 ft. hot tub on one end and a 1 ft. kiddie pool in the other.) The TV had a decent selection of 30 channels for you TV enthusiasts out there. The bathroom was a bit cramped for three people obviously but probably okay for two. The variable shower head was a nice feature.

We went to their restaurant for breakfast each morning. (There's also a bar and game room in the facility.) We paid $8.99 for their breakfast buffet which is fair for a hotel. The catering staff that assisted us with our evening affairs were friendly and efficient but the food itself left a bit to be desired.

The hotel is about a 10-minute ride from the Riverwalk and other nearby attractions. There's also a trolley stop right at the door which will take you downtown for 85 cents (with a 15 cent transfer you can use for a roundtrip if you return within two hours). On a mild day, you could even walk to and from downtown... but not in 100-degree heat! UGH!

What separates this hotel experience from others for me was the hospitality of its staff. I've rarely experienced such friendly and accomodating personalities at any hotel I have stayed at. Out of many pleasant situations, the one that stands out for me is when I went to the front desk to request a cushion for my father to use in the restaurant to alleviate his back problems. Not only did someone respond quickly, but they brought not only a pillow but a neck cushion for him to use. That's something I might expect from a five-star (although there's no guarantees there, either) but receiving that kind of service here just blew me away! It was also nice that some front desk staff took a personal interest in some of our events.

I'm sorry that some other recent reviews did not have the pleasant experience that I did. Perhaps it was because we were part of a large group staying at the hotel at the height of tourist season? Nonetheless, whatever deficiencies they may have had in recent months was certainly corrected by the time we got there. Certainly, if you approach the staff with a smile, they will smile right back!

• Stayed: July 2005