“Old, run-down....”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square
Ranked #117 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My father, uncle and I shared a room as we were attending a family reunion being held at this hotel. Check-in was quick and friendly. At first we were given a room different than what we requested but when we notified the front desk, they corrected it with no problem. We ended up in a room with two queen beds and a rollaway. Being the junior member of the crew, I rated the rollaway. It was okay as cots go, I suppose. The pillows were decently firm for my taste. My father and uncle seemed comfortable on their beds and I would agree after kicking back on a for a snooze or two myself. I found the room to be clean with a subtle Southwestern theme.
The standard iron and coffeemaker were there and in decent shape.

If you like pool views, I recommend that you request an interior room. It was nice to be able to look out at the pool area from the somewhat small balcony. (I didn't get the chance to take a dip in the pool but the main 5.5 ft. max pool was flanked by a 3 ft. hot tub on one end and a 1 ft. kiddie pool in the other.) The TV had a decent selection of 30 channels for you TV enthusiasts out there. The bathroom was a bit cramped for three people obviously but probably okay for two. The variable shower head was a nice feature.

We went to their restaurant for breakfast each morning. (There's also a bar and game room in the facility.) We paid $8.99 for their breakfast buffet which is fair for a hotel. The catering staff that assisted us with our evening affairs were friendly and efficient but the food itself left a bit to be desired.

The hotel is about a 10-minute ride from the Riverwalk and other nearby attractions. There's also a trolley stop right at the door which will take you downtown for 85 cents (with a 15 cent transfer you can use for a roundtrip if you return within two hours). On a mild day, you could even walk to and from downtown... but not in 100-degree heat! UGH!

What separates this hotel experience from others for me was the hospitality of its staff. I've rarely experienced such friendly and accomodating personalities at any hotel I have stayed at. Out of many pleasant situations, the one that stands out for me is when I went to the front desk to request a cushion for my father to use in the restaurant to alleviate his back problems. Not only did someone respond quickly, but they brought not only a pillow but a neck cushion for him to use. That's something I might expect from a five-star (although there's no guarantees there, either) but receiving that kind of service here just blew me away! It was also nice that some front desk staff took a personal interest in some of our events.

I'm sorry that some other recent reviews did not have the pleasant experience that I did. Perhaps it was because we were part of a large group staying at the hotel at the height of tourist season? Nonetheless, whatever deficiencies they may have had in recent months was certainly corrected by the time we got there. Certainly, if you approach the staff with a smile, they will smile right back!

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank tony5969
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 24, 2005

First of all, the hotel had an musty/mildew odor, and the carpets were not clean. The phone even smelled like mildew. I would not recommend this hotel, nor would I ever stay in it again. I have nothing good to say about this place.After the maid cleaned the room, it didn't even look like it had been cleaned.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank aggiet98

Travelers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

This was not my place of choice to stay but our reservations were made by a family member. However, to my surprise the Hotel was very nice. The rooms are of good size, as stated in the below review the bathroom cleaning did need attention. My wife was not happy with the few hairs on the bathroom floor and tub. However, the pool, gym and the restaurant were very clean and attended by courteous staff. Twice we need some extra towels and they were delivered promptly to our door. If your looking for Marriot and river walk luxury then go stay at the Marriot. But, if your looking for a well rounded hotel w/ a pool, gym, restaurant/bar, game room for kids and decent breakfast for a reasonable price and free parking this is definitely a good place. A prime location from the freeway and close to Market Square Restaurants that are far more tastier than River Walk food.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2005

Me and my wife and kids visit San Antonio at least twice a year and I usually use priceline which is great but this time I used Hotwire BIG MISTAKE!!!! This hotel is very much out dated for the star rating compared to the other hotels it's OLD!!!! When you walk into the lobby you can smell the musty old smell and when you walk down the halls it smell worse. When we entered our room the first thing we noticed was the bathroom door which would not shut and in all the corners it was very dirty especially the bath room. They probably have not cleaned the bathroom in years stains on the walls it was disgusting!!!! The one night we decided to go to the cafe on site we waited for our food for 45 minutes and there were only about 3 families in the cafe and they were there before us and they did not get there food either so we just left. Your best bet is to order from the pizza flyers they stuff in your room each day which is not to bad. The best thing about the hotel is that's basically across the street from the market square which I would recommend staying there as much as possible so you do not have to go to the hotel. We mentioned some of the issues to the staff but they did not seem to care.

• Stayed March 2005