“Good place to sleep in”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square
Ranked #113 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My family and brother went to San Antonio for a weekend visit, he made the plans to sleep over at this hotel, for many years I passed this place, it’s nice, the rooms we got had been nicely clean, the overnight experience was great, the only thing I wouldn’t recommend is eating in the restaurant they have, its $$$ and not all that great in taste, we went out to enjoy our breakfast. The pool is nice, just have to be careful a bit there, not a lot of child safety measures. It’s a bit of a walking distance to the riverwalk, but is SA, and it was cloudy so pretty much we enjoyed the walk.

Room Tip: Pick rooms that arent near the two main streets, the ones at the back are the quieter and more clean...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here while my son was tryin gout for the Talons. For a Holiday Inn, its a pretty nice nice one. We checked in rather late that night, staff at check in was very nice. The room had a king bed with a small sofabed, also had a coffee maker, and 35" TV. Bed was very comfortable and the black out drapes shut out most if not all of the light. Hotel also had a restaurant which was closed but since we ate earlier it didnt matter. Also has a pool too. Kind of a bad neighboorhood around it. But no problems at all. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room higher up, but to we were on the first floor and it was rather quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the kind words. Not sure if it was the brand new 6 story main police station, the newly renovated 1910’s historic church or the Marriott Courtyard that made you think it was kind of a bad neighborhood? I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Hope your son had a good experience with the Talons too. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a little off the beaten path when it comes to the location. you will walk about a mile or so to get to downtown/riverwalk, but the facility is alright, they have redone the bathrooms, they look great, unfortunately there is nothing they can do about the size, they are a little but cramped, nothing bad, just a little on the small side, the staff is good, the wifi works like a champ.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for the comments. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This Holiday Inn is okay. The facility itself is nice. The rooms were clean and updated and each had a balcony that you could walk out on. We had an issue at check in. We arrived at the hotel around 4:00 p.m. and were told that our rooms were not ready and that it would be about a 15 minute wait. Unfortunately the wait ended up being over an hour. Apparently, house keeping was running behind. It probably would have been a much longer wait had we not insisted on a room and offered to split our party up onto different floors.

The shuttle took us to the Riverwalk and we were able to walk back to the hotel. It wasn't a short walk, but was pleasant enough and do able. The Market Square is about a 3 block walk. We had the shuttle take us to the Alamo Dome for an event the next day. He dropped our party off right at the front door. When we called to have them pick us up at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday we were told he had already gone home for the day.

Overall the hotel is nice and clean and in a so-so location. I will probably look for something else on my next visit to San Antonio.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. Sorry the check in was a little slow for you. We do our best to make sure that everyone has their requests met with room locations and keeping groups together. But I will make sure my front desk staff gets to see your comments so we can continue to improve in that area. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I entered the facility and immediately smelled a damp smell. I noticed a few patched area in the ceiling of the entry lounge so I thought that it was just residual from a leak that was fixed.

I asked for a room fairly close to an elevator as I walk with a cane. Nope. I was given a room at the end of two vey long hallways- at the furthest win. I noticed the damp smell as I was walking toward my room and wondered if it was mold I was smelling. It hadn't rainned recently.

I opened the door to my room & smelled-mold. I checked the room & noticed a white residue in the grille of the room heater/air conditioner. The smell was so over powering. I contacted a front desk clerk & was told I should be able to change to a different room later that day.

I decided I could not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Check your room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Please accept my apology for your experience. We do our best to accommodate each guest request made as to location of room and unfortunately it sounds like we were unable to fulfill your special request. I understand that can be upsetting to some guest. One thing we do try to offer an options. I hope that in the future you will give us another chance. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The staff at the hotel that I dealt with were fantastic. Tammie and Nelson were the 3-11 front desk staff, Danielle and Yuki were afternoon/evening bar and restaurant staff and Steven was the afternoon/evening shuttle driver. I called in from a rest stop prior to my arrival to see if a specific retail store was near the hotel. Nelson was looking up the information for me while I was on the phone (love the bluetooth feature in my car). When I arrived, he asked if I found the store (I did). Tammie checked me in and was able to get me an upgrade (I think I got the last king room). She asked if I had any issues with being on the first floor since I am a single female traveler and there is a sliding door. Good to know that the hotel staff is so caring about their guests.

I spent some time relaxing in the pool the evening I arrived. I was impressed that the hotel had a pool, hot tub and a baby pool. Very rare to see a baby pool these days.

I brought my own wine and Danielle in the bar provided a wine bucket for me so I did not have to try and chill my wine in the standard ice bucket. She also allowed me to use glass wine glasses from the bar.

I walked to most of my destinations during my stay, but did use the shuttle one afternoon. There is a standard place that the shuttle drops and picks up for the Riverwalk and the Market Square. Steven gave all the guests a card with the phone number to call when we were ready to be picked up. The Riverwalk drop location is only a couple of blocks from The Alamo.

I slept great - the bed barely looked slept in when I got up - that is the sign of a comfy bed when you do not toss and turn. Only complaint is that my room had not yet been updated with electrical outlets on both sides of the bed (current outlet is behind the bed - as it is in most hotels - Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, etc.). I sleep with a CPAP and had to pull the bed away from the wall to access the plug. This issue has been addressed by the hotel and they are in the process of upgrading all of the rooms to have electrical outlets on the sides of the bed because travelers have more needs for plugs now than they did years ago (CPAPs, laptops, phones, tablets, etc. all need to be plugged in). This hotel did not have a free breakfast, but did have free parking and free in-room wifi. The hotel did have a restaurant that served breakfast, but I have a favorite place to go and the "free breakfast" would have been wasted on me.

I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I had a first floor room with the sliding door by the parking lot and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. I share our guest comments daily with my staff and I'm sure they will be happy when I read yours. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We used this hotel as a base for our two night stay in San Antonio while on a tour of Texas. Whilst the room was fairly standard for this chain, it was nonetheless comfortable, clean and reasonably well appointed. The staff were particularly friendly and very keen to attend to our needs and requests. The hotel is only a short walk from the old market area where there were some really excellent Mexican restaurants, and so we ate out each evening. However we did have breakfast in the hotel. The buffet was well appointed and the food was hot and freshly prepared, not something you always find with breakfast buffets elsewhere. Despite not being central to the city it’s only a short trolley/bus ride from the centre where there is a well appointed mall, lots of restaurants, a beautiful river walk, and of course the Alamo! This hotel would make a good base for anyone wanting visit to visit the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Sounds like you have a fun and action packed trip. Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager