“Nice facility...drew the mildew room with a fog horn air conditioner”

Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square
Ranked #118 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Very nice staff and facility in general. Pool area real nice. I was in for a quick stay in late and out real early. Room smelled of mildew and AC (which was needed due to the humidity of the season) sounded made a fog horn sound every few minutes! Luck if the draw??

• Stayed: June 2013
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thanks for the quick note. Glad you enjoyed the pool even if only briefly.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have stayed with IHG a lot, I travel for work a lot and this has to be one of the worst experiences I have had with IHG.

Here is a list of the issues:
1.) Arrived to check in after 3:00 PM, was told no rooms ready by first employee I approached, she told me I had to just wait.
2.) 30 minutes later approached 2nd employee, he said hold on let me check, then answered the phone, was on the phone for a while, finally ended that, then told me no rooms, maybe 30 minutes.
3) 30 more minutes, approach 3rd employee, same story, no rooms
4) Lobby is full of people waiting for rooms
5) 15 minutes later I approach a 4th employee, the one who actually got me checked in, was competent and polite
6) Finally get to room, no towels, hair all over the bathroom, tub dirty and broken, carpet was filthy and torn, AC on last legs, room super humid and muggy
7) Hotel staff was cleaning room up until at least 7:00 PM, we left and they were done by the time we got back at 11:00 PM
8) Pool was dirty, people drinking, with glass containers, no towels there either

This was over memorial day weekend, so I expected them to be busy, but the staff could not have been less helpful, with the exception of the gentlman that checked me in. I wasted a reward night on this, contacted customer service and got no reply. IHG seems to be slipping, as it was my preferred choice for business, now I may be re-thinking that.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank halobender

Please accept my apology of your stay over memorial day weekend. As I'm sure you were aware of San Antonio had what amounted to a natural disaster with receiving over a foot of rain in a 24 hour period. That excessive amount of rain impacted our computer systems and caused them to not work correctly. We tried our best to keep our guest informed of the situation and most were very understanding of our circumstance. Being part of the IHG family, Holiday Inn has a satisfaction guarantee and if someone is not satisfied with their stay we will make it right. The guest does however have to notify the hotel directly of their concern.

Hope this helps

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family and I came in the Weekend of May 17th for a graduation. We were immediately greeted and checked in. We had a baby so i requested a Crib and i have to say that i was very impressed to find the crib already in the room while we went to get our luggage. We loved the balcony with the view to Down Town... We wanted to go to the River walk & even though it is close to the Hotel we didn't want to walk that much neither wanted to be driving around & paying for Parking. So i asked for options & i was very happy to find out the Hotel Shuttle could take us. We were directed to Steve & he was very helpful, courteous & informative We went out Friday & Saturday night & he took us; this was a great help & service for us because; we could actually enjoy the ride. Oh, I forgot to say that we receive breakfast coupons & the food was fresh and delicious specially the fruit was so fresh, I was amazed when Luis the restaurant Manager came to greet me stating that he recognized me from the last time I stated & this was couple years ago! Saturday Evening after the Graduation & a long walk around the river and everything else in Down Town i was exhausted so i escaped from my family for a moment & went to the bar & since i am not use to drink; i asked Mari the Bartender & she helped me choose something. I got a Sour Apple Martini! 1st time i had it & it was great, Mari was very pleasant I was observing her & was able to see that she posses great customer service skills. Why very good instead of excellent in some areas. Well, Service failed the last day we went to breakfast we waited for a while before we were acknowledged so I walked into the restaurant to ask one of the waitress that were by the bar talking to see if we could just seat & put two tables together so we could all fit... to my surprised one of them turned towards me with so much anger and rude attitude asked me to leave & wait to be seated pointing out to the sign stating "Wait to be Seated..." Not only that but, when she allowed us to seat she told me that we weren't allow to put the tables together & told us to go & get our own drinks.... I was surprised by the way she was treating us & i could not understand what change from the day before because; the day before we were served our drinks & asked if we would order or go to the Buffet. As i was coming back with my coffee another Waitress approached me asking if she could help; i was very upset & told her that the day before was different ... she apologized & explained the reason we couldn't put the tables together; I understood & didn't mine she took care of us from that moment on. Brandi is her Name; Brandi was able to change a bad experience for my family & me to good one. Other than that we had an awesome time & will come back to this Hotel every time we are in San Antonio. I have & will recommend it my Family,Friends & Associates. Thanks Everyone who knows the importance of being customer service oriented and make our stay a pleasant one. Keep up your great work!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your story I am glad it all worked out. Sorry there was a little hiccup but glad Brandi came to the rescue.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I like the refurbished rooms, very stylish and classy. I will continue to stay here. Thanks for giving a great discount to Schlumberger Limited employees. The climate control works well. I didn't try the food service, I went out the River Walk for that, so I have no comment on food or drink.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your stay.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I reserved a room with a king-sized bed and a sofa that could be used as a bed for my daughters and myself. When making the reservation, I made it clear to the person handling the reservation that there would be three of us. When we arrived, we had a room with an accessible bathroom, but no sofa. I went to the desk and told the clerk about the error. He seemed indifferent to the problem. He never apologized for the error and simply told me that they were full, so there was no way to change rooms. I asked if he could check for a roll-away bed and he said yes. 45 minutes later, I went to check about the roll-away, only to see him leaving the hotel. He never looked to see if one was available. I then spoke to a woman working at the desk. I asked her to check about the roll-away and if they did not have one to please send some sheets, blankets and pillows to the room so one of us could use the chair. An hour later, we finally received two set sheets, no pillow and no blanket. While I can understand how an error could be made in the booking process, I cannot accept the indifference of the people working there to our problem. We never received an apology and they never made a suggestion about how we could work around the problem.

The hotel itself is a bit dated. There were little problems, such as the door handle in the bathroom being not quite functional. But, we were not paying top dollar. The location is good if you don't mind walking a bit to the Alamo. There was parking available for free, but the lot seemed to overbooked, too. Under their direction, we parked the car in an area clearly marked "No Parking".

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Please accept my apology on behalf of my Hotel. I am sorry about the confusion with the type of room you booked and your perception of the way it was handled. One thing that our managers share with our employees on a regular basis is to offer options. Hopefully you enjoyed the balance of your visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The large room with a balcony looking onto the pool was quiet and offered comfortable beds with choice of pillows. The furniture is perhaps a bit dated but everything was there for once comfort. The hotel is well located annd in walking distance to River Walk and the market. The chef was particularly happy to reveal his secret at making a wine sauce for beef. Rushed off his feet because of a huge party on Saturday night, he came back at breakfast time to give me his tips! Many thanks for that.

Room Tip: rooms at the back above the pool
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Francoise1947
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thanks so much for the kind words. I will make sure our Chef get to see your comments too!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Checked in; reception very friendly. Went to our room and upon entering, found beer cans strewn about, TV blaring, mixed drinks melting on the counters, the bed torn apart and a phonebook opened with a message scrawled on a notepad beside it.

Began looking for a corpse-- just in case. Finding none, we returned to reception and received another room, but this time not as friendly.

Nice enough room; hard bed, funny mildew smell in the hallway just outside our room. My main complaint?

Curtains do not close. You get two skinny, decorative panels and a sheer. Does not keep out the lights at night. Could not sleep because I like it dark. My travel partner slept very well. So use that as a guide.

Great location, clean room, plenty of towels; I would stay here again, but bring sleep mask to block out the light.

1  Thank Melanie S
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Well for starters, I am sorry we checked you into a room that had not yet been serviced. I am not sure if you reported the blackout drapes to the front desk but each rooms should have them. Because of the way these reviews are done unless you mentioned it to my front desk staff I am not sure which room you were in. I will pass this on to my housekeeping staff so they can be on the look out to solve this Draper Caper.