Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square
Ranked #120 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family and I came in the Weekend of May 17th for a graduation. We were immediately greeted and checked in. We had a baby so i requested a Crib and i have to say that i was very impressed to find the crib already in the room while we went to get our luggage. We loved the balcony with the view to Down Town... We wanted to go to the River walk & even though it is close to the Hotel we didn't want to walk that much neither wanted to be driving around & paying for Parking. So i asked for options & i was very happy to find out the Hotel Shuttle could take us. We were directed to Steve & he was very helpful, courteous & informative We went out Friday & Saturday night & he took us; this was a great help & service for us because; we could actually enjoy the ride. Oh, I forgot to say that we receive breakfast coupons & the food was fresh and delicious specially the fruit was so fresh, I was amazed when Luis the restaurant Manager came to greet me stating that he recognized me from the last time I stated & this was couple years ago! Saturday Evening after the Graduation & a long walk around the river and everything else in Down Town i was exhausted so i escaped from my family for a moment & went to the bar & since i am not use to drink; i asked Mari the Bartender & she helped me choose something. I got a Sour Apple Martini! 1st time i had it & it was great, Mari was very pleasant I was observing her & was able to see that she posses great customer service skills. Why very good instead of excellent in some areas. Well, Service failed the last day we went to breakfast we waited for a while before we were acknowledged so I walked into the restaurant to ask one of the waitress that were by the bar talking to see if we could just seat & put two tables together so we could all fit... to my surprised one of them turned towards me with so much anger and rude attitude asked me to leave & wait to be seated pointing out to the sign stating "Wait to be Seated..." Not only that but, when she allowed us to seat she told me that we weren't allow to put the tables together & told us to go & get our own drinks.... I was surprised by the way she was treating us & i could not understand what change from the day before because; the day before we were served our drinks & asked if we would order or go to the Buffet. As i was coming back with my coffee another Waitress approached me asking if she could help; i was very upset & told her that the day before was different ... she apologized & explained the reason we couldn't put the tables together; I understood & didn't mine she took care of us from that moment on. Brandi is her Name; Brandi was able to change a bad experience for my family & me to good one. Other than that we had an awesome time & will come back to this Hotel every time we are in San Antonio. I have & will recommend it my Family,Friends & Associates. Thanks Everyone who knows the importance of being customer service oriented and make our stay a pleasant one. Keep up your great work!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your story I am glad it all worked out. Sorry there was a little hiccup but glad Brandi came to the rescue.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I like the refurbished rooms, very stylish and classy. I will continue to stay here. Thanks for giving a great discount to Schlumberger Limited employees. The climate control works well. I didn't try the food service, I went out the River Walk for that, so I have no comment on food or drink.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your stay.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I reserved a room with a king-sized bed and a sofa that could be used as a bed for my daughters and myself. When making the reservation, I made it clear to the person handling the reservation that there would be three of us. When we arrived, we had a room with an accessible bathroom, but no sofa. I went to the desk and told the clerk about the error. He seemed indifferent to the problem. He never apologized for the error and simply told me that they were full, so there was no way to change rooms. I asked if he could check for a roll-away bed and he said yes. 45 minutes later, I went to check about the roll-away, only to see him leaving the hotel. He never looked to see if one was available. I then spoke to a woman working at the desk. I asked her to check about the roll-away and if they did not have one to please send some sheets, blankets and pillows to the room so one of us could use the chair. An hour later, we finally received two set sheets, no pillow and no blanket. While I can understand how an error could be made in the booking process, I cannot accept the indifference of the people working there to our problem. We never received an apology and they never made a suggestion about how we could work around the problem.

The hotel itself is a bit dated. There were little problems, such as the door handle in the bathroom being not quite functional. But, we were not paying top dollar. The location is good if you don't mind walking a bit to the Alamo. There was parking available for free, but the lot seemed to overbooked, too. Under their direction, we parked the car in an area clearly marked "No Parking".

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Please accept my apology on behalf of my Hotel. I am sorry about the confusion with the type of room you booked and your perception of the way it was handled. One thing that our managers share with our employees on a regular basis is to offer options. Hopefully you enjoyed the balance of your visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The large room with a balcony looking onto the pool was quiet and offered comfortable beds with choice of pillows. The furniture is perhaps a bit dated but everything was there for once comfort. The hotel is well located annd in walking distance to River Walk and the market. The chef was particularly happy to reveal his secret at making a wine sauce for beef. Rushed off his feet because of a huge party on Saturday night, he came back at breakfast time to give me his tips! Many thanks for that.

Room Tip: rooms at the back above the pool
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Francoise1947
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thanks so much for the kind words. I will make sure our Chef get to see your comments too!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Checked in; reception very friendly. Went to our room and upon entering, found beer cans strewn about, TV blaring, mixed drinks melting on the counters, the bed torn apart and a phonebook opened with a message scrawled on a notepad beside it.

Began looking for a corpse-- just in case. Finding none, we returned to reception and received another room, but this time not as friendly.

Nice enough room; hard bed, funny mildew smell in the hallway just outside our room. My main complaint?

Curtains do not close. You get two skinny, decorative panels and a sheer. Does not keep out the lights at night. Could not sleep because I like it dark. My travel partner slept very well. So use that as a guide.

Great location, clean room, plenty of towels; I would stay here again, but bring sleep mask to block out the light.

1  Thank Melanie S
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Well for starters, I am sorry we checked you into a room that had not yet been serviced. I am not sure if you reported the blackout drapes to the front desk but each rooms should have them. Because of the way these reviews are done unless you mentioned it to my front desk staff I am not sure which room you were in. I will pass this on to my housekeeping staff so they can be on the look out to solve this Draper Caper.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend (4/26 -4/28). We were VERY hesitant to book a room here because of the previous reviews we'd read about the recent renovation. But the location and price were hard to pass up. Besides, we were there to attend the annual Fiesta event so figured we wouldnt be at the hotel until late and planned to have some fun so....
Surprisingly, when we arrived on 4/26, we were greeted with great service by a parking attendant then when we approached the front desk the service was just as great. The lobby of the hotel was also nice. However, as we rode up in the elevator I was still nervous about what type of room we would walk into. Lets just say both my husband and I were very pleased with a very nice room which had a nice king size bed and pullout couch. The wood floors were a nice touch and the room was clean and was stocked with plenty of towels, etc in the bathroom. To top it off we had a beautiful view of the Riverwalk and all the Fiesta activities. I regretted buying parade seat tickets for 4/27 because we had such a great view we could see the parade from our room. We could've avoided the crowded streets. :(. I have no complaints about this hotel and was very happy since this trip was my gift to my husband for his birthday. Their room service was also very good and breakfast was more than filling. I just read a review complaining about the music from the Fiesta event. I agree you can hear all the music as high as the 17th floor (the floor we stayed on) but after all that's what WE were there for. So, if you don't plan to go for something like that then I
don't recommend any hotel on the Riverwalk !

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Melicar69
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thanks for the comments however this review is for a stay at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk. They have wood flooring in their rooms.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anybody, except those who have their hearts set upon the Riverwalk. It is about 7-8 mins walk from that lovely destination; if that epic journey is too much for you and your zimmer frame then you would be well advised to look closer to home. It is however only about 3 mins walk away from the ever-vibrant Market Square and the well-worth-a-visit Mi Tierra restraurant/bakery. As per usual, bitter tears are shed regarding the 'dated' decor, too hard/too soft pillows, and the hair-in-the-bathtub nonsense. In reality the rooms in this hotel are WONDERFUL with a very enjoyable balcony where you can either view the San Antonio city skyline, or the pretty poolside area. Nice flat screen TV, very comfy bed, super clean, and a spectacular pool in a very amiable tree-lined courtyard ~ and it's a nice size for a decent swim, too. We usually stay at the Menger but could not get a room due to 'Fiesta', but actually we enjoyed the change. Again, high standards for a 3* hotel. Got a gripe? Stay in a 3* in Europe. You will, all of a sudden, start to appreciate the high standards in America! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EMRCC
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

For starters, a simple “Thank You” is in order for your comments. I must say this is my new all time favorite guest review. It’s nice to get kind words from an experienced reviewer/traveler. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Ben, GM