“VERY pleasant stay!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport
Ranked #115 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“VERY pleasant stay!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2006

Stayed here first week of August. Almost changed my reservation when I read all the bad reviews BUT am glad I didn't! Hotel was just fine! I even asked people from other floors how clean and quiet their rooms/floors were; all said were happy with the place too.

Even though it was clean and astheticly decored, hotel staff told me the property is soon to undergo major renovations almost to the point of being completely new down to the artwork on the walls even.

Believe me, you could do way, WAY worse for the money than this hotel. I'll probably be staying here again when in San Antonio.

• Liked — Executive Edition accomodations
  • Disliked — Not enough parking
  • Tips/Secrets — If you can get Executive Edition floor, go for it! You won't be sorry.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Greenville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

We visited this hotel between July 24-July 29. We stayed in a room with a king bed and a sofa pullout, with a refrigerator and microwave combo. Our friends stayed in a similar room without the combo. We were on the fourth floor.
The rooms were clean and well appointed, the bathrooms were also nice.
The cable television channels were about 95 percent sports/news (all of the ESPN channels were included), although there is also HBO and movies/games on demand.
Our friends' room (we each stayed with one child) was laid out completely differently. Where in our room, the sofa was in a corner and opened in front of the king, in theirs the sofa was on a side wall and opened up to one side of the king, making the room appear much larger than ours, although it probably was about the same square footage.
Nothing was "filthy" as some other reviewers have claimed. The maid service did a great job, we had plenty of towels. When we noticed the sofa bed did not have a blanket, we called the front desk and had one within a few minutes.
The beds were very comfortable, although the pillows were too soft for my liking. My wife brought her own, so I slept on two of the hotel pillows and did fine.
The hotel always seemed to be packed, with a combination of primarily business professionals and, toward the end of our stay, military personnel. Several representatives of American Airlines also stayed there during the week, apparently between flights. The hotel offered a free shuttle to and from the airport and nearby shops, attractions.
Not too many families/tourists from what we could tell.
The restaurant was good and offered both a breakfast and lunch buffet most days. The breakfast buffet was $9.95 for adults and the lunch was $10.95. The breakfast featured scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereal, grits, etc. and most days an omelette bar.
Lunch also featured about two or three meat entries and various sides and salads.
The food was tasty, the staff very friendly and efficient. The coffee was so-so.
There was also a coffee/snack bar in the lobby. Nice touch, although a bit pricey. The gift shop was very expensive.
The pool was clean, clear and had a big hot tub. It was adjoining a very nice deck area, which tended to get scorching hot during the afternoon. But, it was July in San Antonio, so that was to be expected.
The biggest drawback for this hotel is its location. The 410 loop is under heavy construction and this hotel is right in the middle of it all. Entering/exciting the hotel, especially during rush hour (right next to an exit ramp) was a gamble. There is also little in the immediate area. There is the North Star Mall and a shopping center within a half-mile, but the traffic snarls could make it quitle a long trip.
Once you actually are on the 410, or on the nearby Highway 281, traveling to any of the big attractions are a breeze.
All in all, I would have no qualms about staying here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness, buffet meals
  • Disliked — location, difficulty navigating service road
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

I'm a road warrior and have seen my share of chain hotels. I have been a frequent stayer of Holiday Inns in the past and found this one to be the worst one ever! Upon check-in and arrival at my room, I immediately called for another room. The second one was just as bad.

My co-worker and I left after the first night and stayed nearby at a brand-new chain that was cheaper and much cleaner.

Thank St._Louie
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

We stayed here as part of a longer trip, Flight was arriving very late and wanted somewhere close to airport to stay. No need to spend alot for somewhere to sleep for 2 nights. Check-in went smoothly with all info as booked. We found an Entertainment rate on the Holiday Inn website. The free wi-fi in the room was a plus for us as we would usually pay $10-15 for this in other hotels.

The Select moniker is obviously a branding tool from the chain as this is a 80's version Holiday Inn hotel. Not that being so is a bad thing. Our room was clean and very large with a king size bed, desk, sofa(bed), table and chair. Bathroom was an average size but had a very powerful shower nozzle which was a nice plus.

We had a room on a higher floor part way down the hall.

The hotel's bakery stand/coffee bar was dissapointing. The coffee wasn't bad but the baked goods were questionable. The same cakes were in the cabinet from our check in to check out. I wanted to buy the 1 slice of German Chocolate cake just so they could get a new one as I don't think anyone would ever order what was presented there. I had them microwave my pastry to get some moisture back into it.

I would stay there again for a night given the same circumstance but I'm sure there are better places out there.

Pueblo, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

I was taking my bridal portraits during fiesta and needed a place to stay. I tried priceline and got the Holiday Inn Select. It is supposed to be a 3 start?? I was thinking more of a 2 star. I felt like I was at a super 8 or motel 6. It is very old and dirty. I was moved a few times becuase of room issues. Toliet, shower, but this happens at even the best of places. That is not what made it so bad. All three rooms were dirty and arranged very strangely. You cannot see the TV but from one bed. This was not a problem, because I was by myself. It would be a problem for people sharing the room. It just did not seem like that safe of a hotel. There are many entrances and being a single female by myself I did not feel safe. The resturant is a complete joke and they really don't have anything to serve nor enough seating for more than 20 people.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank abdm01
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

My family and I stayed at the San Antonio Holiday-Inn Select from 6/9-6/11. Like many other travelers on this post, we used Priceline to stay at this hotel. We were happy with the rooms but would not stay there at the full rack-rate price ($142.00/night for the dates we were there).

The rooms are a bit old and outdated, however, they are clean and our AC worked very, very good. You need that for the Texas heat. The rooms are spacious and ours included a sofa bed which made it nice for our small child. The linens were plentiful and smelled fresh. Their employees are very friendly and always said hello to us. We read other posts of how the walls were paper thin and we HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THAT. I don't know if it was because they have made improvements or if the hotel was not fully occupied but again, we had no complaints there. There is parking security at night and our car was safe both nights.

There are about 3 restaurants at the hotel and nothing is free except the coffee in your room. No breakfast vouchers but you could order room service if you wanted to pay about $15 per person for breakfast. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and the hotel also has a pool and a jacuzzi which were both working. The pool faces the freeway so it was a bit noisy but the pool-area was very big so you could grab your chair and move it far from the rear.

In all, this hotel is average with nothing outstanding but would stay there again if we paid the same price as we did when we were there and NOT the full rack-rate. If you are single, and looking for a good time, this is probably not the place for you as it is family oriented but the location is good if you are looking for that.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2005

I reserved a room here for one night on Priceline ($60, incl tax). There were no 4-star airport hotels available on Priceline so I knew I was taking a risk. After I received a reservation at the Holiday Inn Select and read the reviews on TripAdvisor, I prepared myself for the worst--particularly since I am sensitive to noise. Fortunately, the hotel was not full the one night I stayed there, so I wasn't sharing wall space with neighbors. That said, you could tell the sound insulation was very poor. General cleanliness was passable. Bedding was ok. Staff were friendly. Workout room was marginal-- some cardio, only 2 weight machines - one for chest, one for back. Pool faces the highway. You get what you pay for. The risks of this hotel are too great to recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2005