“The room is fine but...”

Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport
Ranked #130 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“The room is fine but...”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I mused several ways to write this review and breaking with the traditional ho hum... but this hotel is just that - Ho Hum. It's rated at 3 stars for it's amenities but it does not deserve it. It is old, under staffed, and carpet in the hallways is stained every 3-4 feet. The internet is extremely slow and when it gets a little pep they have figured out how to keep you from streaming movies - really... but oh well. But, like everything there is always is always the opposite side of the coin - the rooms were clean and quiet and when I did get service it was great. In addition the location is also pretty good. Overall, unless you have no other choice, I would find somewhere else to overnight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the discomfort you experienced while staying with us. I will share your comments with the staff as we are continually trying to improve the guest experience at our hotel. I also want to take this opportunity to let you know about our renovation this year. We have some exciting changes coming to our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This is an older hotel right on Loop 410. There's a newer Holiday Inn Express next door. We were staying here because of a meeting. The hotel staff are friendly and the rooms are adequate and clean. Very limited TV channels. Good wireless internet that is free, however. The breakfast buffet, is poor, and very expensive. $13.95 for what most hotels offer for free is a poor decision. I have had equally good, if not much better when staying at properties offering free hot breakfast.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday I, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that the breakfast buffet was not up to standards. I will definitely forward your comments to our Executive Chef as he takes pride in preparing an exceptional Food and Beverage experience.

United States
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stay here on business, it's not by choice but where my company chooses to book us. Although it's conveniently located about 15 minutes from the airport and there is a hotel shuttle , getting anywhere else (like downtown) will cost you about $50 in cab fare.
My biggest problem with this hotel is the temperature controlled rooms. The thermostats are set to only give either heat or cool air during certain times of the year (and you'll get varying answers from the staff about how this works.) I've boiled in the summer unable to get air, and I've frozen during the winter unable to get heat. When calling down to the desk, you will never get a space heater because without fail, they are alwyas all out. Ask for a blanket and they'll say one is being sent but you'll never get it. Basically, you'll be uncomfortable here no matter what season unless you generally have no issues with hot or cold.
The hotel itself is mediocre. The rooms aren't overly clean and they are a tad outdated. It typically takes awhile to check into this hotel even if there are four or more staff members behind the front desk, there always seems to be some confusion and thus a lengthy wait to get your room.
The restaurant in the hotel has a pretty decent menu at not so decent prices and the food is less than average at best. If I had a choice, I would never stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tlee34

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Minutes from San Antonio International, this hotel is perfect for an early morning flight. There is a free shuttle service that runs every 15 minutes which saves on taxi fares and check-in/check-out is extremely fast. Rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable with the added bonus of a fridge. Starbucks in the lobby provides a quick food option, although a restaurant is available. WiFi is freely available, reliable and fast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments.

Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Took forever to get transportation from the airport. It's only a 5 minute ride! Check in was uneventful. Got off on 3rd floor to find the carpet stained all the way down the hallway. Room was about the same with stained carpet and furniture. Bed was slightly better than a foldout couch. Loose ceiling panels. Marginal A/C system. Overall, just plain nasty.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Karl R
I apologize for negative experience you had with the hotel. Your comments are appreciated and I will share this with that staff. We do strive to exceed guest expectations on every level and take it very seriously when we fail. We will use your comments to raise our service levels. In addition, this hotel will be going through a renovation and we will have some exciting changes. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Bethlehem PA
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I arrived on 11/30 around 6pm for my one night stay. Check in was swift and the receptionist was attentive. However, didn't mention anything about the services (dining, breakfast, etc). Odd smell as I traveled to my room. I came to my room (303) and was happy with the size and flat screen TV. However, I went into the bathroom and it was less than stellar. Grit on the floor behind the door, toothpaste splatter on the frame of the mirror. The shower head was lacking pressure. The towels smelled like fish sticks (not kidding!) I headed downstairs to eat (no mention of room service in the guide book). The server, Jeremy, was awful! He literally said 2 words to me. Waited forever for a refill of my water. The food was very good, but I was so turned off by the poor service. I headed back to the room and did some business work. About 10pm I headed to bed. Starting at 11, the folks in the room next to me were, uh, having a great time. I let it go til 11:50, and then called the front desk due to the noise. They then had more people come into the room with tons of laughing, yelling, banging furniture and yelling in the hallway. Waited 20 minutes (and never heard a phone ring or someone come to their door) and called the front desk again requesting a new room (12:15ish AM). They said no problem and I could come get the key. Seriously? You didn't take care of the noise and want me to come get a new room key? Asked the woman for a key to be brought up -- she said it would 30 min since she was the only one on. However, it arrived about 15 min later. I was then sent to the 10th floor (for Priority members only). Finally getting settled in my new room after 12:40am, I was pleased to have a quiet room. This room was also generally clean, except for the bathroom. Odd orangish spot on the floor near the toilet, and more toothpaste gunk on the mirror frame. Furniture was much more dated in the new room however (just aesthetic). I ordered room service for breakfast (in this room there were menus indicating room service. Maybe they only offer it to Priority members?) Breakfast was delivered quite quick, and was tasty (but pricey, of course).

I will most likely be back to SA for business, and will def not be staying here for those trips!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Tara U
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Our stay here was short lived as we were able, thankfully, to get rooms at the Express instead. It smelled like an old bowling alley. The kind of minty air freshener smell that can't cover up the odors of dirt or fungus that accrue from lack of sanitation. The toilet had pubes on it from some previous occupant. It was all downhill from there Customer service is lackluster at best. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank KellyBallance
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear KellyBallance,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm for our property. We take great pride in keeping our amenities at tip top shape for our weary travelers. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in San Antonio you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.