“Great location”

Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport
Ranked #144 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We booked on Hotwire and we were very happy with the hotel. It was clean, the staff was friendly and the Starbucks in the lobby was a huge hit! It's a very convienient location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed 6/12-6/13 in the 2 room suite room 1043, wife and I and the kids. I had a really good experience with the initial booking and somehow landed a deal that reduced the price of the room and provided 2 free breakfast vouchers.
The location can be difficult to get to as it is on the frontage road and there is also an Express almost right next door, in addition the Google maps wanted to put me a couple buildings away but regardless there is big signage and after a couple of turns you made it. Location is convenient to the airport, mall and tons of restaurants, etc.
The hotel was kind enough to allow an early check-in which was great. The Lobby is very nice with modern hotel amenities. Check-in was quick and painless with no surprises.
The room was very clean, modern and extremely comfortable. Although the linens for the fold out were not in the room the staff brought them up immediately after our request. Frankly I have been in very few rooms that have passed the initial wipe test that my wife does, I was very happy this one did! The televisions are dated tube style but did the trick. My wife took care of some business in the room while the boys and I hit the pool for a couple of hours.
The pool is very nice and decent size for a hotel. There is plenty of seating space and a nice outdoor hang out area. I got the impression that we disrupted some of the biz travelers that were trying to catch some peace and a tan but it was pool time!
The following morning I disembarked early for travel and the shuttle was on time with about a 6 minute drive to the terminal. My wife and kids enjoyed their breakfast and another dip in the pool. The hotel is obviously set up more for the business traveler but the family had a great time and will enjoy staying in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I was here for a two week conference and the rooms were horrible. I seriously though about checking out and using one of the other hotels next door. The refrigerator in my room wasn't working properly but the 'engineer' told the front desk everything worked fine and it wouldn't keep things as cold as you're used to at home. I asked to clarify if it was a cooler vs a refrigerator, since it wouldn't work to the level of a refrigerator, and was told it was indeed a fridge but it wouldn't cool things as well. hmmmm. Holiday Inn's standard has been set and the bar is low. The food I had in the 'un-fridge' ended up going bad and making me ill. The front desk seemed to want to listen to the 'engineer' instead of the customer, not a great business model. Also the TV wouldn't work correctly, remote barely worked and picture was horrible. It also looked like someone kicked the front panel, the buttons were pushed in and damaged. In addition, I had to set the room temp to 67* in order for it to get the room to around 75*. I was very disappointed in this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in adjacent hotels might be better. There are 3-4 other hotels to choose from.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear DPower922,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Before booking this hotel I read the reviews.... but my experience was terrible. I don´t want to be totally negative about this hotel, so I am going to tell you Con´s and Pro´s:

Con´s: We booked a King size bed, no smoking..... when we arrived we were attended by a young blond girl, I think Daniele was her name, well she was not as friendly as many people working here. We went to our room and realize that was a 2 queen SMOKING room.... we went down to change the room but they only have a King room on a smoking floor, that floor suppose to be half smoking half no smoking..... but when you get out of the elevators the smell is terrible, inside the room the smell was´nt so bad but for me was not the best. The lock of the door was totally broken and was fixed the next day. The furniture was old and full of scratches . The mini fridge was in very poor situation, no separation between freezer and fridge, looks very bad. The window was small so the room was very dark.

PRo´s:
The hotel is very accessible from the HW, near the airport, with suttle, and near shopping. The Gym was ok for us. Have a pool and jacuzzi but can´t use it because always was very crowded.

The Lobby looks new, but is not what you get from the rooms , really need to get new furniture.

I don´t want to stay here in the future, because there are new hotels or at least renovated ones that can work for us.
We stayed here 5 nights and my Husband is a Priority member,so we always try the Holiday inn Chain first

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on a last minute family vacation to explore the Riverwalk & San Antonio's theme parks over the Memorial Day weekend. As we were going to be going to New Braunfels, we did not want a downtown location. However, hotel was only about 10-15 mins from Riverwalk. Hotel was 30 mins from Schlitterbahn. Room was super clean & house keeping did an excellent job keeping it that way. Front desk staff was friendly & accommodating. Looked at the $13.95 breakfast buffet & it was nothing special. Saw all the pilots & flight attendants with breakfast tacos from the cafe. The tacos were very good. This was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel over the weekend for a quick visit with friends. This property was picked by a mutual friend. I can say that this place would NOT be on my list if I had picked where we were staying.

I feel like I should mention that the guests in my party were very respectful and we are a very easy going group. I know when I read bad reviews- I usually imagine the reviewer as a person who is probably hard to please. That was sincerely NOT the case.

Pros:
The hotel was clean enough and the maid did an excellent job both nights we stayed. She went above and beyond and now I wish I would have asked her name.

The hotel was located in an area where I felt safe, which was a priority to me. A security guard walked the grounds in the evening, but it did not seem like it was needed.

Parking was plentiful and in the evening it was very well lit.

Cons:

The beds were very hard and very short! I am only 5'5'' and my feet were hanging off the bed. Both my friend and I had joked that we felt like we had been beaten up the night before after sleeping in the beds. Very uncomfortable.

The walls are very thin. I was able to hear all of my neighbors activities...could have done without that!

The service was horrible throughout my entire stay.

During breakfast the first morning, the waiter was very disgruntled and was not pleased that we chose to eat at the buffet rather than ordering off the menu. BTW- Breakfast at the buffet will run you about 14.00/pp and it consisted of four choices of "hot" breakfast items and a few baked goods. It was all old and had been sitting out for quite some time- not worth it. When we ordered coffee, he slammed down an almost empty pitcher of luke-warm coffee on the table and walked away. We never saw him again until it was time to pay.

We experienced this same level of service at the lobby coffee bar. We went to grab a coffee mid day, only to wait about five minutes for someone to show up and serve us. When he did arrive, he took our order, walked in the back and talked to one of his buddies in the bar area for a few minutes. Once he finally made his way out, he forgot what we ordered and asked again. At this point, we decided to order a bottled water out of the fridge next to him instead as we knew he would take way too long to make us a cup of coffee. He grabbed the items from the fridge, slammed them down on the lobby table, grabbed our credit cards to swipe them and then looked us in the eye and shook his tip jar and placed it in front of us.

This attitude was present throughout the hotel. Asking for directions, where restrooms were located, didn't matter- they were all less than thrilled to answer questions in a polite manner.

Another thing to note, although this was a non-issue for us...
The pool backs up to an overpass. If you envisioned relaxing by the pool for a few hours during your stay, prepare yourself to hear traffic zooming by and to inhale exhaust. How relaxing...

With that said, while I could see this being an okay spot for an overnight trip if you have a early morning flight to catch- I would not reccommend this hotel for longer stays based on what I experienced.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear LaLa61111,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I am pleased you liked our clean and secure hotel location. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to San Antonio, TX. Thank you for staying with us.

Anthony M

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel is very clean with nice rooms yet one very strange anomaly. The curtains do not close all of the way (by design). So if getting dressed beware as patrons in the adjacent office buildings have a clear sight line.. The price was very good and the surroundings safe.

However, this is a Holiday Inn wanting to be a 5-Star Marriott. You will pay for everything including a morning coffee in the lobby - which is $3.00 at Starbucks in the lobby. And you can get breakfast for about the same amount as a good dinner somewhere else. If you go into the restaurant / lounge expect to pay around $15 for a simple meal and $5.00 + for a draft beer. And the restaurant staff was not particularly friendly and English as their second language. Needs more friendly service than it has - or had when I was there

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear scottop,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you liked your clean and comfortable room accommodations. I apologize you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from our restaurant staff. I hope when you return you will see improvements made.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Karen C