“Don't stay here!”

Best Western Plus Medical Center South
Ranked #130 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've been a Hilton Honors member for 14 years and have NEVER had an experience like I had here. We got to the hotel 20 minutes before check in time- we were promptly told we couldn't check in until 3:00. Felt like school children told to go away. We were given room 225 and quickly realized the AC didn't work. I called the front desk. Guy came to fix. He ended up taking the whole AC unit out of the window and pushing it cross the carpet. While he was pushing the AC out the door, green, moldly watery crap spilled out from under the unit onto the carpet. The guy padded the carpet as if that would get up the green crap he just spilled. I then called the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told the hotel was sold out. Now keep in mind it was 3:30 pm so I said surely not everyone has checked in. She then said sorry we are sold out. I asked for the manager....guess what, she was the manager! I pushed back and asked to be moved. She then said she didn't have anyone to reclean our room. My problem how? She then snapped that I should come to the front desk to get a new room. When I as at the front desk I asked why we didn't get room 425 which was written on our key. I was told it wasn't cleaned yet....hummm...thought there wasn't anyone to clean rooms? I called Hilton Honors to complain. This place is run down and not really clean. Staff should find another profession......because they clearly don't know how to provide any customer service. The manager needs to be held accountable for her lack of professionalism and lack of concern to help a customer.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 225.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WPFD
Stella_Hampton, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Medical Center South, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff including management, housekeeping, and our front desk. Please accept my sincerest apologies and again thank you for your response.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I do want to say something on the positive size. When the room I rented had no refridgerator, they went out of their way to get one to my room. Now for the negative. Business trip for 3 nights. The bathroom was poorly cleaned. The bathtub was full of what you normally find in there after a shower (hair and soap residue), the toilet had stool left over in there from swishing the water around with a dirty toilet brush. The paper cups were not replaced when I used them. The carpet outside the bathroom door was ripped up and a danger to trip over. The reclining chair had springs that had sprung and was uncomfortable. The door into the room was very hard to get open. Everytime I used the card, I had to put it in 4 or more times for it finally to let me in. I checked out a day early and have gone to a better maintained Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jeaniefromtx

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am personally going to work with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future and I will be showing them this review. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again. We loved having you here!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Room somewhat smelly – definite mold issues. When unfolding the sofa bed, found mold all over the bottom of the mattress pad. (room 225) Sat by pool on an iron chaise that had a large hole in the bottom which was not discovered until I sat on it. Tore my pants – reported to hotel staff who simply replied – "Oh wow, sorry". At breakfast, I took the last of the milk and carried the carafe to the serving staff to advise them. The woman rudely snapped at me and said to go put it back and she would get to it when she had time. Also, one of the waffle makers did not work (timer broken) so I turned it off and back on, hoping to reset it. The woman working at the hotel (not the same one as above) demanded to know who turned it off. I advised that I had done so and why. She barked at me to tell her next time. Our young nephew was with us and had dropped some powder in the bath. After the room was “cleaned”, the powder was still everywhere. Definitely won’t be back nor recommending to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Longhorn_Frog
Stella_Hampton, Manager at Best Western Plus Medical Center South, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in San Antonio and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced. Unclean rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards and that our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay. We have also addressed your concerns with our breakfast staff and that is something that we will avoid in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you visit this area again.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I recently joined my husband on a business trip to San Antonio. We decided to obtain a hotel close to his jobsite for the days he would be working then possibly move to the Downtown area after the job was complete. Well, originally we had booked at another hotel (I will leave name unmentioned) and upon arrival were astonished at the utter filthiness of the facility. We knew the Hampton was nearby and immediately called to ask if they could accomodate a room for us the next morning with early arrival. The person we spoke with was more then pleasant and graciously booked a room for us with early check in assured. My husband uses Hampton and their affiliates many, many times over when he travels for business. Hamptons are always reliable and on par with what you expect from them so we felt confident with this change. The afternoon (12:30pm) we arrived at the Hampton, the front desk staff greeted us warmly. One staff member was a new employee and was being advised by a senior staff member. She checked us in and provided the room key and instructions of how to use the back entrance to gain closer access to our room. I immediately went to our room to settle in for the day and unpack. My husband was on his lunchbreak and had to leave to head back to his jobsite. Upon first impression, the room seemed overall clean. There was a weird odor to the room when you walked in and I could not decipher if it was something in the bathroom or the cleaning agents used. It was being emitted from the bathroom area and smelled very heavily of sewere backup. Very nauseating. Once I looked a little further, I soon found out that the room most certainly was not clean. As I was standing at our window looking out over the pool area, I moved the curtain back and felt something odd. I looked at the backside of the curtain and found what appeared to be a blood type substance smeared all over the curtain. Almost looked like someone used the curtain the "catch" a bloody nose- for lack of better description. Very disgusting. I then did my typical bed check, assuring there were no bedbugs present. What I found were: Urine stains on the bed coverings; Black, Curly Hairs allover the Bed Coverings and a Dead Spider. I kept the spider on a tissue to have my husband confirm it was positively a Spider and not a Bedbug! Since we had two beds in our room and only one seemed to have issues, I figuired it would be alright for one night. My husband and I would just share the clean bed and be cramped. I do have to say thogh, that the AC/Heating Unit Vents were clean as well as the Bathroom area, despite the smell coming from it. Since we had just left another hotel for filth, I was beyond irrate at receiving another dirty hotel room. I called my husband and informed him he would need to make a complaint to the front desk because I was too angry to be civil. He agreed and said he would speak to them when he returned. I decided to get out of the room and stretch my legs to try to relax. I wandered around the hotel grounds and found everything else to be what you expect from a Hampton: Clean lobby area with complimentary coffee (which was brewed well and fresh), Clean Breakfast Nook, Very nice Pool area- well maintained, Decent size Business Center, Outside Lot clean and basic. Right next door was a Marie Calendars in walking distance. Just down from that was a Red Lobster. Unfortunately no evening complimentary Cookies were provided like most Hamptons. That was disappointing. The next morning at check out, we did speak with the new staff member about the condition of our room. She was very apologetic and asked for another staff member to come out and speak with us/ resolve the issue. Apparently that member did not want to come out because it took twice asking for her to appear. Once she did come to the front desk, she did not utter one word to us. Nor did she look at us or smile or anything. I am assuming she was being "bothered" by our prescence,or atleast that is how she made us feel. She started shuffling paper around and then asked my husband for his photo id. He handed it to her and she shuffled paper around more then asked him to sign a sheet. He did. She then said everything was taken care of and wandered off. That was it. The manager never once looked at the pictures I was trying to show her of our room. The new staff member reviewed them and seemed perturbed. I felt bad for the new staff member who was tripping over herself to be more than apologetic and sincere. Especially since her superior/manager wouldn't say one word to us! I had to ask my husband what he signed for and what the manager had done, since she never explained or said anything. He informed me that we were reimbursed for our stay. He stated that was Hamptons policy. I appreciate the reimbursment but did not expect one. I complained only o address the situation in order for Hampton to improve and clean the facility better and to point out that, in that particuliar room, items needed to be removed immediately and dealt with (ie: the curtains and stained bedding)!
All in all, I would say that this Hampton is a nice location and generally well maintained hotel. I am assuming that we were just unlucky during our stay.
We will still be loyal customers of Hampton and their affiliates.. just maybe not THIS location!

Room Tip: Room 500 sits directly above the pool area and can get quite noisy at times! Also you can hear the h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank tlrw
Stella_Hampton, Manager at Best Western Plus Medical Center South, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at Hampton Inn San Antonio NW-Sea World. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied of our guest rooms and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping and assistant management to prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if you travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Easy check in, friendly guest services, comfortable and very quiet room. Stayed four nights and had no complaints. Very nice for the price. Nice breakfast area, nice selection and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on other side from highway were very quiet, no road noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Good Price, clean, good breakfast, even got my room ready within 35mins showing up early for check in. large room, easy access to freeway, no need to stay downtown San Antonio. Exercise room was roomy,equipment worked, provided water, clean towels and TV and control of room temperture

Room Tip: stay on 5th floor, nice and quite, second stay was in the 1st floor,, near pool, quite but too cold...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FreeFalling4
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This place is nowhere near Sea World. Its right off the interstate, among some old car dealerships. I think the hotel used to be an office building. Otherwise, the service was OK at best.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family