“Not your typical Hampton at all.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Medical Center South

BEST WESTERN PLUS Medical Center South
Ranked #146 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not your typical Hampton at all.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I recently joined my husband on a business trip to San Antonio. We decided to obtain a hotel close to his jobsite for the days he would be working then possibly move to the Downtown area after the job was complete. Well, originally we had booked at another hotel (I will leave name unmentioned) and upon arrival were astonished at the utter filthiness of the facility. We knew the Hampton was nearby and immediately called to ask if they could accomodate a room for us the next morning with early arrival. The person we spoke with was more then pleasant and graciously booked a room for us with early check in assured. My husband uses Hampton and their affiliates many, many times over when he travels for business. Hamptons are always reliable and on par with what you expect from them so we felt confident with this change. The afternoon (12:30pm) we arrived at the Hampton, the front desk staff greeted us warmly. One staff member was a new employee and was being advised by a senior staff member. She checked us in and provided the room key and instructions of how to use the back entrance to gain closer access to our room. I immediately went to our room to settle in for the day and unpack. My husband was on his lunchbreak and had to leave to head back to his jobsite. Upon first impression, the room seemed overall clean. There was a weird odor to the room when you walked in and I could not decipher if it was something in the bathroom or the cleaning agents used. It was being emitted from the bathroom area and smelled very heavily of sewere backup. Very nauseating. Once I looked a little further, I soon found out that the room most certainly was not clean. As I was standing at our window looking out over the pool area, I moved the curtain back and felt something odd. I looked at the backside of the curtain and found what appeared to be a blood type substance smeared all over the curtain. Almost looked like someone used the curtain the "catch" a bloody nose- for lack of better description. Very disgusting. I then did my typical bed check, assuring there were no bedbugs present. What I found were: Urine stains on the bed coverings; Black, Curly Hairs allover the Bed Coverings and a Dead Spider. I kept the spider on a tissue to have my husband confirm it was positively a Spider and not a Bedbug! Since we had two beds in our room and only one seemed to have issues, I figuired it would be alright for one night. My husband and I would just share the clean bed and be cramped. I do have to say thogh, that the AC/Heating Unit Vents were clean as well as the Bathroom area, despite the smell coming from it. Since we had just left another hotel for filth, I was beyond irrate at receiving another dirty hotel room. I called my husband and informed him he would need to make a complaint to the front desk because I was too angry to be civil. He agreed and said he would speak to them when he returned. I decided to get out of the room and stretch my legs to try to relax. I wandered around the hotel grounds and found everything else to be what you expect from a Hampton: Clean lobby area with complimentary coffee (which was brewed well and fresh), Clean Breakfast Nook, Very nice Pool area- well maintained, Decent size Business Center, Outside Lot clean and basic. Right next door was a Marie Calendars in walking distance. Just down from that was a Red Lobster. Unfortunately no evening complimentary Cookies were provided like most Hamptons. That was disappointing. The next morning at check out, we did speak with the new staff member about the condition of our room. She was very apologetic and asked for another staff member to come out and speak with us/ resolve the issue. Apparently that member did not want to come out because it took twice asking for her to appear. Once she did come to the front desk, she did not utter one word to us. Nor did she look at us or smile or anything. I am assuming she was being "bothered" by our prescence,or atleast that is how she made us feel. She started shuffling paper around and then asked my husband for his photo id. He handed it to her and she shuffled paper around more then asked him to sign a sheet. He did. She then said everything was taken care of and wandered off. That was it. The manager never once looked at the pictures I was trying to show her of our room. The new staff member reviewed them and seemed perturbed. I felt bad for the new staff member who was tripping over herself to be more than apologetic and sincere. Especially since her superior/manager wouldn't say one word to us! I had to ask my husband what he signed for and what the manager had done, since she never explained or said anything. He informed me that we were reimbursed for our stay. He stated that was Hamptons policy. I appreciate the reimbursment but did not expect one. I complained only o address the situation in order for Hampton to improve and clean the facility better and to point out that, in that particuliar room, items needed to be removed immediately and dealt with (ie: the curtains and stained bedding)!
All in all, I would say that this Hampton is a nice location and generally well maintained hotel. I am assuming that we were just unlucky during our stay.
We will still be loyal customers of Hampton and their affiliates.. just maybe not THIS location!

Room Tip: Room 500 sits directly above the pool area and can get quite noisy at times! Also you can hear the h...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank tlrw
Stella_Hampton, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Medical Center South, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at Hampton Inn San Antonio NW-Sea World. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied of our guest rooms and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping and assistant management to prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if you travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lubbock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Easy check in, friendly guest services, comfortable and very quiet room. Stayed four nights and had no complaints. Very nice for the price. Nice breakfast area, nice selection and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on other side from highway were very quiet, no road noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Good Price, clean, good breakfast, even got my room ready within 35mins showing up early for check in. large room, easy access to freeway, no need to stay downtown San Antonio. Exercise room was roomy,equipment worked, provided water, clean towels and TV and control of room temperture

Room Tip: stay on 5th floor, nice and quite, second stay was in the 1st floor,, near pool, quite but too cold...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreeFalling4
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

This place is nowhere near Sea World. Its right off the interstate, among some old car dealerships. I think the hotel used to be an office building. Otherwise, the service was OK at best.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

The room was large enough, clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was good with variety both days. The staff was helpful and professional and when the desk clerk found out we were there for an Air Force graduation he gave us the special Lackland discount which we weren't aware of. The hotel also had easy access to the highway with restaurants and shopping nearly. The only negative was the AC which didn't always seem cold enough but it was 100+ outside and we were cool enough to sleep well each night.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor in the back and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan G
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have stayed here several times. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, there is a decent enough free breakfast, free coffee 24/7, free Internet access in the room and lobby, a business center if needed, and the location is convenient, right off the freeway. The rooms are large enough and clean. The on-site gym is basic, but there is a Gold's gym within a five minute drive down Callaghan (granted, it's not the best Gold's in the world and I'd recommend showering back at the hotel). While the hotel is right off the freeway, I've never had a noisy room. And did I mention the rooms are clean and the rates very reasonable?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SF G
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

This Hampton Inn was terrbible. Not close to Sea World at all. Out-dated, grimmy, the rooms were stuffy, the a/c cut on and off every 5-10 minutes, even after adjusting the temperature several times, making it real hard to get the room cool and even harder to sleep. Only nice part was the bathroom. The majority of the staff was rude.We even saw 2 of the employees making out in the parking lot. Only quality employees at this hotel were the ladies who prepared breakfast every morning. A pair of of sleeping garments came up missing after the first night there.I had hung them on the hook on back of door. I noticed that same day and notified the front desk who offered no apology for my missing item and only told me she would have the manager call me , which he never did. The following morning when I asked the front desk she called the housekeeping manager in front of me and was told that my item was thrown away. When I asked if that was the hotel policy I was told yes. When I asked to speak to manager he did say he looked for it but never found it and still NO APOLOGY. I will never stay at this location again and never recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, no views of anything but office buildings, and freeways.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family