“New Hotel, Poor First Impression”

Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport
Ranked #64 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Let me start by saying that my family and I travel often, mostly for pleasure. We've stayed at many hotels across the country and never encountered such poor service at the front desk. We arrived later in the day, after having flown into Dallas and drove for 5 hours. We were tired and weary from our travel. I had won 2 rooms from Priceline at the Four Points. I don't book all of our hotels through Priceline, but well aware of their policy with one bed. Upon checking in, I requested for one room with two beds. The front desk REFUSED to give me a room with two beds, saying they have none available and stating repeatedly that it's a Priceline policy eventhough there are four of us in one room. She stressed that we can pay for 2 cots at the price of $10 each per night.

Normally this was not the case in any hotel I've won with Priceline. Most hotels do honor my request for two beds. I was too tired at this point to continue with the nonsense and asked to speak to the manager. The manager was more understanding and offered us a room with a pull-out sofa, all complimentary.

The hotel is new, very nice and clean. We got a room facing the pool and the noisy freeway. Since I had such a hard time requesting a room with two beds, I didn't bother asking for a quieter room. Would I stay at this hotel again? NO! First impression left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll skip Priceline and just book with directly with Drury Inn or Hampton Inn next time. I know my requests will be honored, and I'll be getting a room with guaranteed two beds, complimentary breakfast, and better front desk attitude.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank F2Rtraveler
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2016

Thank you very much for your review, I am very sorry to hear about all the obstacles you had to face during your stay with us. I hope next time you travel to San Antonio you give us another opportunity so we can showcase our true colors to you. Please feel free to reach out to me next time you are coming to San Antonio. Thank you once again.

There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Let me begin this review by stating that I consider myself a positive and fair person and not one with unrealistic expectations or the need to be given special treatment or catered to. My husband and I travel often, sometimes for business, but mostly for pleasure, and of the tripadvisor reviews I've written so far, this is the first review I've given with a rating of less than a 4. This specific trip was for pleasure and took us through 12 states in 13 days. Of those 13 days, 6 of our overnight stays were for only one night and this was one of those. With that being said, let me begin with the "good" aspect of this review. The hotel is brand new and impressive in appearance. The lobby, covered outdoor patio, pool, dining/bar area...all beautiful. My husband said that check-in was easy and that the young lady who checked him in was very efficient and friendly. We stayed in a first-floor room which was beautifully furnished in contemporary decor with clean, modern lines. The room was huge and immaculate. I initially had some concerns that it might be noisy because (a) the outdoor pool was so close by and (b) as we were going to our room, there were 4 inebriated college-aged guests (who had earlier been in the pool) who were shouting and screaming as they "rode" the luggage carts, in wet bathing suits, down the hallways. However, once we got inside our room, we thankfully didn't hear a thing.

Now for the "bad." When we went to check out the next morning, there was only one desk clerk - a different one than the night before - who was neither friendly nor efficient. Granted, she was attending to one other guest, but as we and several other guests waited...and waited...and waited...she never once glanced up, acknowledged our presence, said "I'll be with you in a just a moment..." nothing. All we wanted, or needed, to do was turn in our room key, so we ended up just leaving it on the front desk because we needed to get on the road. Even when we did that, she never looked up.

And lastly, the "ugly." Since we had so may one-night stays on this trip, I planned accordingly and had an overnight bag packed with everything I needed for that night and the next day so I wouldn't have to haul in all of my luggage every night. In that bag was a brand-new nightshirt I'd purchased just for this trip, and when we got to our next location, I realized that I'd left my nightshirt hanging on the hook of the bathroom door at the Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport. My husband immediately called the Sheraton to tell them about the item I'd left behind and the gentleman who answered the phone said there was nothing of that description in the lost & found. Evidently he couldn't be bothered with checking with housekeeping to see if they had found the item, nor did he take down our name or phone number to call us back in case it happened to show up later. So I waited for a couple of days and I called the hotel again. This time I asked to speak to the manager and was transferred to his voicemail. When the manager returned my call and I reiterated my story to him about the item left behind and how disappointed I was that it seemed to have "disappeared," he rather abruptly told me to at least give him the chance to look into it and that he'd get back with me. I distinctly got the impression that he couldn't get me off the phone quickly enough. Tomorrow it will be TWO WEEKS since I spoke with the manager and have yet to hear anything back from him... So, I don't know which scenario is more disturbing: (1) the fact that my nightshirt "disappeared;" (2) the fact that the manager DID possibly look into the matter, didn't find it and didn't want to admit that it "disappeared" so just didn't bother to call back; or (3) the fact that he just never bothered to look into the matter at all! Guess we'll never know. It's said that the type of staff an organization has is a reflection of the management, which speaks volumes in this instance. Only 1 employee that exhibited good customer service skills out of 4 employees is not an optimal statistic.

In conclusion, the reason this hotel is only getting a rating of 2 simply boils down to a complete lack of customer service skills--especially those you would expect in a hotel of this calibre--and a total breach of trust. My husband and I are Starwood owners and Gold members so it's especially disappointing for us to experience this. We love San Antonio and have stayed at the Westin Riverfront before, but wanted to give the Sheraton Four Points a try this time; however, there will not be a next time for us. Although we won't be returning, I do hope that the management and staff of this hotel get their acts together. This hotel is far too beautiful and has too much to offer in amenities and location to let a reputation for poor customer service destroy it. So, to wrap up this review on a positive note, I just want to say how thankful I am that all I left behind was a nightshirt and not my camera, video recorder, laptop or iPhone :-) And for the readers who do end up choosing to stay at this hotel, I hope that your experience is a positive one, but please make sure you have all of your belongings BEFORE you check out!

Room Tip: Higher rooms; rooms on the side away from the swimming pool & highway.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wander2Wonders
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2016

Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your horrible experience at our property. I know it was a few years ago, so please next time you are in San Antonio please let us know. We want to do whatever it takes to win your business back. Once again I am sorry about your experience but I am grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was a Priceline-booked hotel and we were very pleased with what we got. Everything is brand-new which I love in a hotel and the service was also above average. It was very clean, room was serviced daily with fresh towels, water, and bathroom toiletries. The microwave and refrigerator were so nice to have and they even provided plates and silverware when asked at the front desk so that we could eat our leftovers from the fridge! :) Shuttle service was also pleasant and in a timely fashion. Location was good as it was just around the corner from the airport but also 10-15 minutes from the places we were going. Thanks for a nice first stay in San Antonio!!

• Stayed: March 2012
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2016

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on your first trip to San Antonio! Please visit us again next time you are in our beautiful city! Thank you.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

The administator of Four Points by Sheraton Downtown San Antonio's Facebook page keeps removing the following so I thought I would post it here!
I purchased a deal for this hotel from KGBDeals. First off they double charged my credit card. Second, the Sheraton gave us a HUGE run around when trying to book a room never telling us anything except someone would call us back. Just found out Wednesday that the offer was cancelled shortly after it came out and will not be honored. I have had $300 tied up in my checking account since Sunday causing overdrafts and am not very happy about it!
I DO NOT recommend KGB Deals or Sheraton Four Points hotel in Downtown San Antonio!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barb_Wilkins
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The old "Casa Linda San Antonio" was torn down and on it's site is the brand new Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport. The hotel was very clean, rooms are very nice, staff was very helpful. Nice bar and restaurant. Excellent location with easy acces to major freeways, shopping, golf, food and other attractions. I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2016

Thank you very much for your review. I hope you visit us next time you are in San Antonio.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

The property is very nice. The staff have been great.
Rooms are small. But the first floor rooms are noisy.
It's not the greatest location for running- but airport hotels aren't usually. There is a neighborhood behind the Drury Inn, across the street.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again on your next visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

This property is a tale of two hotels.
I stayed one night mid-March on a Priceline reservation.
Having just recently opened - even smells new - this hotel is ideal for anyone into new.
For those of us into service - this is an entirely different hotel.
To be honest some of the following may be due to the newness of staff but the hotel has been open since January.
Shuttle - called hotel to arrange shuttle pickup at airport. Told it would be there in 10-15 min but didn't arrive until 30 minutes later. Of course I didn't tip the driver so he made a snide remark to me.
Guestroom - when you press the "wake up" button on the room phone, it does not connect you to the wake up call service - it takes you to messages. Speaking of messages, my room
phone had its message light on for a message that was left in February. Room clock was not reset for Daylight Savings Time.
There's an old saying, "Sweat the small stuff and the big stuff will take care of itself".

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DavidPortland
Chaitan M, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree with you that service is what separates good hotels from great hotels. I hope you are able to come visit us again and experience how we have improved. Thanks once again for your feedback.