“The Earl Hickey Memorial Manor and Estates”

Extend a Suites at Lackland AFB
Ranked #263 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 5, 2012

All I can say is the price is right, booked on Priceline and called starting a week before arrival...would put my phone on speaker and let it ring for 20 to 30 minutes until someone picked it up. Apparently the 'staff' works for free rooms as I was told by no less than three people who could not confirm our reservation- but instead offered their life stories. But then finally the day before arrival I contacted a man who the others reported as the owner- this man acknowledged my reservation in a surprising and perhaps too fast speed and that he was indeed the owner. We pushed through and arrived a day early (so Plan B if required could be effected). The AC was out in the front office, the staff informed me that the man I had spoke to was off to India! And what reservation? I had printed this off- ah ah! This included my pet, a small dog with no extra charge! I told them I confirmed this rate with the owner the day before. I looked at the room...well for $42.00 it is what you get. I requested a room in the corner. The water for the shower has two temps, nuclear reactor hot and cold. Our sink was slow to drain. AC worked fine. Men of questionable character stand at street corner at night- but as former USMC and male we established our territory and general rule of offering a wide berth to avoid each other. We bought our own coffee pot (never even checked out the 'free coffee and Continental breakfast' I suspect it is a myth) and went to Wal-mart up Military Drive and cooked with in room microwave (after cleaning!). Did not request room service. The 'wi-fi' is very poor to offline most of the time. Power outlets poor- with all appliances on you will blow a fuse and good luck finding someone! And the electronic room keys are good for about one time- and then the staff argues about putting it next to a cell phone! There is a restaurant next door but never went in. The pool appears to have been recently dredged and the body recovered. The TV has maybe a dozen channels, the remote had corroded batteries from 1995 so therefore didn't work and honestly with a eight year old it was on Cartoon Network anytime we were in the room. Went down for son's USAF BMT graduation which is close(US90 and Military Drive)- you will be busy and out and about- need a cheap place to crash, this is it.
I remember as a kid stopping in mom and pop motels, now they are dive motels and is a interesting hobby my wife and I share. We have found gems and then crap- this is another example of why faceless cookie cutter motel chains eat across America.
And if you do not know who Earl Hickey is; well then...

Room Tip: There are plenty of other motels in area- go there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark D

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We made reservations on-line and was surprised when we checked in. Not at all what the pictures showed. Price was right and it was really close to Lackland but the room was horrible. Sink didn't drain properly, toilet seat was broken, shower head squirted all over the bathroom and the smoke detectors were hanging by wires from the wall. we went 3 mornings for breakfast to find out, all the had was awful coffee, no juices or anything. We should have spent $5.00 more a night and went to a well known hotel chain. I suggest you check other hotels before booking here. Donna and Kent, PA.

Room Tip: anyplace but here
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna H
Reviewed December 16, 2010

please don't stay here!!! I came in for my son's Air Force graduation and I thought the location was all that mattered. IT'S NOT EVEN AS CLOSE TO THE BASE AS THEY ADVERTISE! I must have forgotten that I liked my room cleaned! I went to graduation at 6am and came back at 9pm and the room was as I left it. There is no happy medium with the water in the shower-it's either very hot or very cold. They say they have a breakfast area but it has been shut down by the Dept. of Health SINCE NOVEMBER! If I could rate this a zero I would! No vending machines, no snack machines, and the pool looks like u might emerge with a full body rash!!! would i recommend this hotel to an enemy?? OH HELL NO!!!! No human being deserves this!!!! JUST GO TO THE GATEWAY INN ON BASE!!! Or even the Howard Johnson down the block...BUT DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Mighty3mpr3ss
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Do not stay at this hotel. The management will be nice and cordial over the phone, but when trying to cancel your reservation they will lie and say it is done, but then later charges will be made to your credit card.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VAtraveler43
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The "Manager" was the rudest, foul mouthed person I have ever had to deal with. The room was terrible, the air conditioning didn't work, the internet didn't work, the television didn't work. When I tried explaining this to the manager he proceeded to curse at me, " F*** YOU , you got what you paid for" . " Your a DUMB-A** and don't know how to use the television" OMG !!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank cowgirl6789
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My boyfriend and I drove to San Antonio from TN for a 5 night stay for my brother's graduation from Lackland AFB. I originally wanted to get a room at another hotel down the road, but it was full when I tried to reserve it, so last minute (and roughly the same price) caused me to reserve at the Knights Inn.
When we got there, it felt like it took about 10 minutes before someone came to help us at the check in counter. At least three people walked by (2 were employees that I know of) and said nothing to us.
I tell the guy I reserved our room (a king bed, no smoking) online and he tells me there are no king beds left, but he can give us a double full bed room for the same rate. I agreed at first. He told me that their computer was down for some reason and he needed my credit card and Driver's License to write my information down...which I'm fairly certain he left on the desk for at least 2 or 3 hours. He said to come back after a bit for our receipt.
When we came back for it, there was someone different working the desk. NOW the computer is working and he has our reservation for a different room, with a King Bed. He changed our keys, and we go to that room...only to find out that someone else had already been given that room. So we go back again to the office and tell him. He asked if we would mind staying in the double bed room and my boyfriend mentioned to him that the latch lock was broken (meaning if they "accidentally" gave us someone else's room, they could have used their key and walked right in on us). So, we got the room right next to that one...which was a King Bed. (Thought there weren't any available...)
After all that frustration, we finally settle down and when I went to take a shower, I found that the knob for the bath was broken. After a few tries, I managed to get it on and comfortable. Plus, the carpet had spots of something all over it and there were little dips in the floor. No fitted sheets either.
I would absolutely have cancelled and tried to find a room elsewhere, but I got on here while still there and reading these reviews and seeing how hard it is to get refunded your money, I couldn't afford to have two charges over $300 on my account.
I will not stay at another Knights Inn again if I can help it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank muzikbayb86
Reviewed February 3, 2010

The things that I need to say about this place are way too vulgar to write on here, but it was horrible from beginning to end. The first thing was we walked up and you had to press a button to have them let you in the door, then you walk in to a horrible smelling lobby that looks like its straight out of the 70's. After that, we got in our room which also really needed air fresheners or cleaned perhaps, and 2 lights were out. (which leaves ONE working one) Then thinking it couldn't get much worse I wanted to take a bath, SORRY NO HOT WATER. After calling the front desk and getting a different room key it didn't even work. I'm still sitting here while we try to get a different place to stay since this garbage can can't even keep up on their hot water.

• Stayed: February 2010