“I thought all Red Roof Inns were nice, I was WRONG”

Red Roof Inn San Antonio I-10 East
Ranked #300 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
El paso
“I thought all Red Roof Inns were nice, I was WRONG”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

First let me start off by saying that I'm kind of loyal to Red Roof. If there is one wherever I'm heading, I'm likely to book it. I've always had good experiences with this chain up until now. The room was relatively clean but completely outdated and a little dingy. There were ants, yes ants, in my restroom. The towels were an off-white color, EWW! I stayed in room 317. The in room safe was locked but I probably still got charged for that but I wouldn't know since I didn't get a receipt at checkout. The "wifi" was non existent even being close to the office. You can count on not having Internet. The outside is a dump with cigarette butts EVERYWHERE! The landscaping is hideous and the building itself looks like crap. Another major thing I want to point out is that this motel is located in a bad part of town, keep a close eye on your vehicle and DON'T leave anything valuable in the car. I'm definetely glad I was by myself and not with my family, I have small kids. I will never return to this place and I hope you take my advice. Red Roof needs to dump this place because its hurting their reputation.

Room Tip: PS-the breakfast sucks too
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rick R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Exterior landscaping of hotel is distasteful. Located next to what appears to be a truck stop and lots of "rift raft" wandering around location. In a very bad part of the city. Not conducive to safety. I found out that after I checked in, there was an incident at the hotel that required San Antonio PD and the officer that I ran into on the premises even questioned me as to why I was staying at this location! This should be labeled a motel. Hotel manager, "Johnny" VERY NON-COOPERATIVE and NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE FRIENDLY. Wi-Fi was at 30% connectivity, therefore, there wasn't any connection; flying roaches in the bathroom, and numerous amounts of hotel guests, and who knows how many other non guests coming from around the area, loitering on the premises; not attractive. Guests were sitting on stairs that lead to my hotel room drinking liquor and teenagers huddled nearby were outside smoking and asked my brother if we had any marijuana. I chose to not stay after being checked in for less than 15 minutes. Hotel manager would not switch my room and would not give 100% refund that I felt was due to me for lack of safety and amenity. Only refunded one nights stay upon my departure later that evening at 11:00pm after checking in at 8:30pm. I lost $94 ($79.99 + tax) and never laid my head down on a pillow to rest. If you choose this hotel, its like swimming in a 10 ft pool without a lifeguard on duty...ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Casey J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was sopose to had another room ready at another Motel and I call and spoke with a friend of mines who told me about the red roof in I call and yes they had a room for the day of my stay and I was giving great service over the phone all my question were anwers by the person on the phone also I inform the person what I need and I was told just were to go and how to get back when I arrive in the room I was so happy not to put Motel 6 down but red foof was up on the game if you know what I mean the room was nice and very clean there was a nuff lighting were my room was there were no people hanh around your room door area and thank God know one twisting on the door night and knocking and running away from the door and the4 bed I had was a super plus I slept wonderful when I got up the next day I didnt feel like they ran over me with a truck and thank you to the kind lady in the front desk Ms.VIVI thank you so much and to the guythat help me with booking my room thank you so much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bernetta R
Parrish, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed on this hotel for our 11 year anniversary and it has been the worse place I have ever stayed. The pool deck is in terrible condition. The pool chairs are broken. The Pool fence is rusted. The furniture in the room is old and damaged. The room service is horrible. They did not even leave any towels and we had to get it at the front desk. The room is very filthy. The breakfast was ok. Do not waist your time on this place unless you want a very cheap place to stay. I can not believe Red Roof has a place like this on business. I have stayed at other Red Roof and nothing like this one.

Room Tip: read the reviews. people are not lying!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki d
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Paid $68 for one night stay. This is a tear down motel. The room is very filthy!!! There us no central ac, the AC unit on the room makes a huge noise that u can't sleep. We got there around 11:30pm; otherwise, I would find somewhere to stay. I think this is the worst place I have ever stayed!!! Just can't wait for the day light the moment I entered the room. The smell is really horrible. Free breakfast was ok. Shocked to see the front desk lady have several earrings, nose rings all over her face!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank EMHTJ
Poole, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We booked this hotel a few months ago, before most of the bad reviews appeared on here, and because the room was very cheap on Hotels.com.

A few days before we were due to arrive, I read the reviews again, and was expecting bad things from the hotel.

However, we were very pleasantly surprised. We arrived at about 1pm and were told that we couldn't check in until 3pm. That was fine with us as we needed to get lunch and so the front desk staff very kindly stored our bags for us. As we left, the lady on reception said to come back at 2pm, and we should be fine to check in.

Check in was fast and efficient, and we were given a room upstairs. However, as we had a lot of bags to carry, they changed us to a downstairs room, which I thought was very thoughtful.

We had a superior king room, which exceeded our expectations. The bathroom was clean, there were plenty of towels and washcloths, the bed was clean and the lights, fridge and tv were all in good working order.

What made it for us though, was the shuttle service downtown. If you don't have a car, this hotel is a little out of the way for travellers and tourists, but we were advised that the shuttle would take us in to town for $5 per person each way. If you have a large group, a taxi would probably be cheaper, but as it was just two of us, this was perfect! We called them a few hours later to pick us up, and they came right away.

I really have no complaints about this hotel. The location isn't great, but you should know that when booking, as it is right by the highway.The staff were friendly, the rooms were clean and secure, and the shuttle was an extra bonus. For the price we paid, I think we got a really good deal.

I can only assume from the reviews regarding rats and roaches, that some areas of the hotel are worse than others. We stayed in room 107, which is on the ground floor and right next to the reception. Perhaps request a room in this section if you are concerned.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hjeffery00
Glendale, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We did not expect much as the rate was low however the room itself is in need of a few updates. Just a decent mattress and some clean unstained carpeting would have been fine. There was no remote upon arrival but the man on duty was quick in bringing it to us. Half of the lamps would not turn on but we were too tired to call to have this fixed. Breakfast was toast and milk. The location was convenient for us which is why we booked. If you stay here then realize that you will get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family