“Great place to stay on business”

Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport
Ranked #224 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Heidelberg
“Great place to stay on business”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Please note if you find my review(s) helpful, thanks!

This was probably the seventh hotel that I've tried out on my trips to San Antonio, and I'm going to put it on my list of favorites. There were minor issues, but I left with a good feeling even after spending almost two weeks there.

I had a Club Level room, which in this case was a prerequisite, because a free breakfast isn't offered with all rates and I wanted breakfast in the morning. Likewise, a manager's reception with snacks in the evening is only offered in the club lounge. It still surprises me that their are hotels that don't offer breakfast with all rates, but (if the managers are reading this) it is a decision factor on where to stay. Evening receptions are also a good draw.

All rooms offer a microwave, coffee maker and a refrigerator (with a small freezer space). All three included items, at no additional cost, were another decision factor on where to stay. Point to Crowne Plaza.

My bed was very comfortable, with lot of pillows and a comforter with duvet (no icky unwashed bed cover). Linens were changed every couple of days (unless a daily change is requested). Overall, very comfortable and restful nights. Housekeeping was pretty standard. No major issues, although they did miss replacing a washcloth every other day.

Two large flat screen TVs. One on the wall directly in front of the bed, at a good viewing distance. The other TV was in the living room area across from the couch. Premium video was offered (which I did not explore) as well as a basic selection of TV shows, almost half of which were news channels. Internet access was easy to setup, was stable, fast and free. Often free Internet comes at a cost, speed and stability. The service did go completely down one night, but was back up the next day. Free printing (via web page and code) is offered. Oddly, the printer in lounge was not accessible, so I had to print to the business office on the ground floor.

Noise levels overall were very quiet. If you are very sensitive to noise, I'd choose the side away from the highway just to be sure. There was the occasional airplane, which could be loud, but only for a few seconds at most. Traffic patterns changed daily so airplanes didn't fly overheard every day. Even on the days where traffic flew by, it ended no later than 11p.m.

Drinks in the Club Lounge were well stocked (water, soda, milk, juice) for anytime enjoyment, to include the weekends. Wine/beer was available on request, and only offered Mon-Thur. The evening snacks were not offered on Friday, Sat or Sunday nights, which I found annoying as not all business people fly out on Friday or arrive on Monday. However, during my last week it looked like hours were going to be expanded. Breakfast offered a few hot choices which varied during the week (bacon, pancakes, eggs, etc), weak coffee, cereal and fruit. Basic breakfast.

A laundry room is located next to the pool. It had the older style washer and dryers, and were priced at $1 per load. It was nice to have it priced at an even number. The room was clean, had a TV, chairs and a bathroom. It was also secured with your room key.

Pros:
Quiet
Two large flat screen TV's
Friendly Staff
Very Clean Laundry Room
Easy access to Ft. Sam, Airport and North Star Mall
Fast Elevators
Complimentary selection of toiletries, to include toothpaste
Balcony Door opens...fresh air!
View of Airport

Neutral:
Some road noise
Occasional Airplane traffic flyovers (no later than 11p.m.)
Nothing of note nearby, had to drive almost everywhere. Although a Luby's is next door.
No To-Go Coffee cups stocked in room
No selection of tea
Only Small packets of powdered creamer
Old, thin Windows...must leak energy year-round!

Cons:
Only the most basic of TV channels
Water Pressure
Club Breakfast not as good as it could be
Club Lounge not open Fri-Sunday
Complementary USA Today vs Wall Street Journal
Large open gap between door and threshold (potential privacy issue)
Non-lockable Balcony Door (hazard to young kids)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I am grateful that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be forwarded to the rest of the staff in the hotel. If you should need anything please do not hesitate to contact me. If your travels bring you back to San Antonio I hope that you choose to stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Thank you for your buisness.

210-828-9031 ext 2153

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Edgewood, New Mexico
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I will preface this review with the fact that I used to be a frequent guest in this hotel. I travel weekly for my job (Platinum Priority Club and IC Royal Ambassador), and use IHG properties almost exclusively. I used to stay in the hotel 5 or 6 times a year and did so for 3 years. I was always pleased with the customer service, enjoyed the club lounge, felt safe, and slept well.

In fact, up until this August 2011 this hotel used to be on my “favorites list.” Then something happened. I don’t know if the property changed management or what, but about that time I had started noticing difficulties. On several visits I had something go wrong – the room wasn’t ready, the keys didn’t work, the safety lock on the door was not working. But I kept going back because of my previous positive experiences, and because every property occasionally has a bad day. When you travel a lot you accept that even the best properties occasionally have a glitch.

I am also very well aware of the fact that Platinum Priority Club members are offered upgrades on space available basis. This hotel almost always had upgrades for loyal clientele. The few times I wasn’t upgraded, I was still given a room on a high floor in the main building and given access to the club lounge.

This last time though, (November 2011) as soon as I saw the room I was given I left the property and haven’t gone back. I think all the inconsistencies finally pushed me over the edge. I made my reservation for this hotel over a month out, but when I arrived I was told that the hotel was full. They did not have any rooms in the main building, but the young lady at the desk said they had “upgraded” me to a room in the back section. The room turned out to be right over the parking garage - smaller than any room I’ve had at any IHG property - low ceiling, dark, and stuffy. I was appalled that the desk clerk called it an “upgrade.” In my opinion, if that accommodation was an upgrade for a loyal guest, the hotel management needs to be retrained. When I went back to the desk to express my dissatisfaction, I was not even offered an apology... just a comment that I would not be charged for the room.

I left and went to another IHG property in San Antonio, which is where I now take my business dollars. It is also the IHG property I recommend to my colleagues. Since I have the privilege of booking all my own hotels for travel, I will choose to stay in properties that recognize loyalty. This hotel is not one of them.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2012

First, I was staying for just one night upon my return to the states and didn't get in until 11:30 or so, so they really didn't have much of a chance to correct / improve. That being said......

As a platinum member I was "upgraded" to the club floor. This is all well and good but I had reserved and paid for an "oversized room". I am pretty sure that my upgrade was to a regular size room. The Ambassador "club" was a nice enough room with a refrigirator well stocked with drinks but, at 9:00 Saturday morning I would expect, at least, some coffee. I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (5 minutes down the road) and had coffee and pastries in the morning, and the same size room for about $30 less a night.

The fan in the bathroom made so much noise that I thought it would wake the neighbors if I left it on.

Room Tip: It is next to the highway and the room facing the highway can hear the noise from the road so its be...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LJRoadWarrior
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
I would like to first thank you for your feedback regarding you most recent stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I would also like to apologize that you stay was less than perfect. We know when it comes to choosing a place to stay you have many options. I hope that if your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us a second chance to take care of you. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the entire team. Please contact me at the number below the next time you are in San Antonio. I will personally ensure that you are taken care of and treated the correct way. We value all of our guests, but especially our Platinum Priority Club Members. Please contact me if you should need anything. Once again, thank you for your business and feedback.

210-828-9031 ext. 2153
Germany
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Very good customer service all around. Hospitable and professional personnel at check in, clean rooms, good breakfast. The outside pool was listed as heated and being from Maine was a little on the chilly side for me. Good fitness center.
Will need a car to get around beyond the driving range provided by the hotel shuttle. Shuttle was efficient and provided quick, safe service to the airport.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel tower, on the road side. Since it's close to the airport th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MaineiacGermany
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent feedback regarding your recent stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Please be assured that your feedback will help us train our associates so they can provide the customer service that our guests deserve. I hope that if you travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will consider staying with us again!. If you should need anything please do not hesitate to contact me. Again, Thank you for your feedback and your buisness.

MIke Benavides
Guest Service Manager
210-828-9031 ext 2153
Central Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed at Christmas on cheap points and was very satisfied with the recognition of Platinum status as we had an upgrade to a spacious room on the top floor. Also a gift bag with water, bag of microwave popcorn and granola bars was provided at friendly checkin. Much appreciated. This floor required use of the room key to access via the elevator. Room had an extra living room space with a chair and couch. Although our room faced the highway, we did not feel it was noisy. We slept well on the comfortable king bed. We had free internet access via wi-fi, a microwave and small refrigerator. Also had access to the exec lounge on that floor. Lounge allowed use of computer and printer and access to a few breakfast items...not a full but continental breakfast with juice, Yoplait yogurt (not vegetarian friendly), coffee, and pastries. Other options for breakfast in the vicinity are IHOP and Taco Cabana, both in walking distance just east on 410. We went out to Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast (north of the airport...you need a car to get there). We recommend Magnolia, but be prepared for a wait for a table and it is not cheap ($25 + for two). There is a restaurant at the hotel, but we didn't eat breakfast there . We did order dinner from the bar. Beware that it takes quite a while for them to put your order together (this according to the bartender). I'd say it was 45 minutes from order to pickup ready for a hamburger, fries and a personal size pizza. The food was tasty and not too expensive. I put my order in before I went out in search of a bottle of wine for a Christmas party that night.
The hotel staff had no idea of anything open for sale of wine in the area of the hotel. This is my old neighborhood so I had an idea and was right. Just south on Nacogdoches Rd is an up scale neighborhood and at the corner of Nacogdoches and New Braunfels is a Shell gas and convenience store. They have a pretty good selection of wine for a gas station as a result of catering to the tastes of the clientel. I'm picky about wine and I was able to get one that satisfied me.
It is a couple of miles to the airport from here. So 5 minutes. They do have a shuttle I believe, but we did not use it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you so much for you feedback regarding your stay during Christmas. We take great pride in insuring that our Platinum Priority Club members are taken care of first and foremost. Your feedback helps us ensure that our staff is going above and beyond for not only our Platinum members, but all of our guests. We hope that if your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will choose the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. If you should need anything please do not hesitate in contacting me. Again, thank you for your feedback and your business.

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed for two nights over Xmas. Used 5K points per night so a bargain. As a Platinum member I was upgrade to an exec room but this was in the older "Motel" part of the hotel on the 2nd floor. Free parking, free Internet, free pool and gym. Laundry on site. Business room that lets you print. Only 10 mins by car from Riverwalk location.
Lounge is on 10th floor but only operates M-F. Gives free Bkfst if you get in here.
Suited my purpose.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport Hotel. Although your trip did not go as planned, thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as a guest. . Your feedback enables us to train our associates and give them the proper customer service training. Also I would recommend on your next stay with us ask us about our Quiet Zone Floor. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should need anything further. Again, thank you for your comments and your business!

Front Office Manager
Dallas
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed at this airport for two nights in Nov 2011. Was disappointed that I could not stay near Riverwalk because all hotels were booked for 11/11/11, however this hotel was available and very reasonable. It worked out better because I did not have to deal with the traffic congestion downtown due to all the weekends festivities. It was just a short distance from Riverwalk. Accomodations were very comfortable and clean. Hotel was quiet. I never heard doors slamming or people talking in the hallways. Road noise from highway was not disturbing. In house restaurant was reasonably priced and available for meals during late night hours. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on backside are quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family