“Good choice for lunch”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good choice for lunch”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband loved his lunch - a huge crabcake. I wasn't too crazy about my oyster poboy (I've had much better), although the sides were very good. It's not too expensive for lunch but their dinner prices were $$$$. Free parking at the Pearl, so that's an advantage.

Visited February 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Seafood to die for”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We decided to try someplace new and ended up at the Pearl Brewery. We went into the Sandbar and were greeted and seated without a reservation. The hostess even brought out a stool for my purse to sit on during the meal! We split the onion tart as a starter. I could have eaten the entire thing myself it was so good!. The guys split the wedge salad which they raved about. The combination of bleu cheese crumbles and ranch dressing "blew" them away. I had the soup of the day which was a gingered carrot bisque and so tasty i didn't want to let them taste it. For a main course I went with the mahi mahi. It was done perfectly. The guys went for the special black bass. Mine was better! The wine list made it easy to match food to wine and portion sizes were perfect. We even had room to try the key lime dessert. This will be a repeat restaurant for us.

Anson, Texas
“Seafood in the middle of Texas”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the second time I have eaten there. Friends took me downtown to the old Pearl Brewery where they are turning the area into studios/apartment, restaurants, boutiques and Farmers market. We ordered an onion tart and ahi tuna appetizer. Both were fabulous! The ahi had cubed avocados and sesame on it. I ordered fish n chips and it was wonderfully authentic! I have eaten fish n chips in Australia and none compared to this. Other menu items included grilled octopus, mahi, monkfish spaetzel and many wonderful sounding side dishes. The service was excellent! We had reservations the first time (highly recommend) and no ressies the second but we got lucky and the staff was very polite and accommodating. They have a very extensive wine list with excellent choices. I love the food !

Texas
“Much ado about not much...”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We arrived early at the Sandbar; this was my third visit. When we arrived, few people were seated. It looked like it was going to be another light lunch crowd. However, by the time we left, there were folks waiting for a table; this is easy to see because the entrance flows right into the dining room area. There is no space in between.

Sandbar is the brainchild of the longtime San Antonio top chef, Andrew Weissman. He's known for his attention to detail and the quality of his cuisine.

I wanted to like Sandbar; after all, I had been there on two earlier occasions, but the lunch experience this time was so inadequate that I won't bother to return.

We ordered the crab salad at $18 each. For lunch in San Antonio, this is a top price. When it arrived, I put my hands on the serving plate. I could have gotten frostbite. This is what I consider one of the tricks used in the restaurant industry that should go the way of the chilled fork and the plates sitting in an open freezer by the end of the buffet line. (Yes, I do remember seeing that technique at other restaurants years ago.) Everyone appreciates the fact that food is kept a proper temperature, either hot or cold, but in this case, the salad was made ahead, plated and kept until ordered. That might be more efficient for the staff, but it doesn't do anything for the diner. Why are we there anyway, if not to have the best tasting food possible!

Everything on the dish was ice cold; flavors were lost because of the temperature. If instead, the crab and the rest of the salad ingredients were not blended ahead of time, but plated when ordered, there might have been more taste. Oh, wait a minute...the crab was pasteurized. Instead of large or even medium-sized chunks of fresh shellfish, the entire mixture was a blend of tiny filaments of crab that had been pasteurized give it an extended shelf life.

Any restaurant that sells a "crab salad" and doesn't serve a lump or jumbo lump version, should give the guest fair warning ahead of time.

The Sandbar knows best...no salt and pepper shakers were on the table, so we couldn't run the risk of seasoning inappropriately.

1 Thank MitzouTexas
San Antonio
“Really?”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I wanted to like Sandbar. I really did, but they made it impossible. I loved, LOVED l'reve, same owner We had an asian coleslaw, wedge salad, fish and chips and crabcake sandwich. The asian coleslaw was HORRIBLE. What about it was asian? it was cabbage with too much vinegar in a small bowl for 5 dollars. The wedge salad was ok, dressing a little sour and bland. The fish and chips were horrible, soft, overly breaded and too sweet. The sandwich was like 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches tall, ridiculous. The service was mediocre. The location is nice, I like the Pearl area, but what the heck!