“Overpriced”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #19 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the relatively new Grand Hyatt. The building is a dramatic addition to the San Antonio skyline. The hotel was excellent in most every respect, almost. The valet parking was $33/night - no doubt the most expensive in town, if not the state. I had used the web check-in and was directed to the lobby kiosk in order to get the key . After fumbling with this machine 15 minutes ("please wait while we process your reservation") the machine at last told me I needed to go the the front desk to "complete" the reservation. Wait - hadn't I already "checked in" on the web some three hours earlier all in an effort to save time at the hotel? The line at the desk was long;
in a word, it took close to an hour to check in - unacceptable. I booked the Grand Club room, which came with some additional amenities, like the continental breakfast, etc. I was stunned at the extremely small size of the room - more like those of a small European hotel. The water pressure in the shower was weak and the TV reception was so poor, we finally turned it off and forgot about TV. The bed was comfy and the room was clean, but far ,far too small for the $400/night price. I've stayed at all neighboring hotels, and the value for the money is better anywhere else. The hotel offers no balcony rooms, though it appears from street level that it does have balconies. If you're looking for creature comforts, this place is regal - just expect to pay dearly for a room that was probably less than 450 sq feet. Rooms at both nearby Marriott properties are much larger, and have balconies to offer.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 13, 2010

The Grand Hyatt is situated next door to the convention center and across from a local mall. The Alamo is two blocks away. If you are in town for a large conference this location is convenient. If you are in San Antonio to stroll the Riverwalk, it is decent, but there are better locations and hotels available.

Our room was on the small side, but with a decent sized bathroom. However, the bathtub was rather small, even for my 5'6" frame. And it's depth only allowed the water to submerse the bottom portion of my bottom and legs. The bathroom blowdryer smoked, but was quickly replaced. When the bathtub did not yield hot water for 3+ hours, we were moved to another room and given free breakfast. The provided shampoo/ conditioner/ body lotion smelled like durian, so I stuck to the toiletries I brought myself.

The beds were comfortable and there was a small flat panel TV. The decor is mustard and tan, reminiscent of a 70's faux pas. The ceilings are low, so I couldn't help but feel I was sleeping in a shoebox. I was also annoyed by the price of internet service. Overall, for the price and pomp of a 4-star hotel, I was disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Beautiful hotel top to bottom. The lobby, bar, and restaurant are posh, clean, and delicious. The rooms are spacious, well-designed, clean, modern, and comfortable. The room service was excellent as well as the hotel staff. I can't speak as to the value as this was a business trip, but I would absolutely recommend this hotel for any business or conference traveller. Likely not the best hotel for the family vacation, but definitely deserves the title "Grand."

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I went to San Antonio for business and had a conference right next door at the convention center. LOVED that it was so CLOSE. I brought my husband and 2-year-old twins along so we could have a little mini vacation. The staff was so friendly and helpful! We asked for two cribs and they brought them immediately. And... they even came with little "gift bags" with baby stuff like lotion, shampoo, baby powder, etc. Very nice touch! Plus, the hotel has Riverwalk access. It is on the quiet side, but just a very short walk to the action.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I accompanied my husband who attended a conference at the adjacent convention center. I agree completely with previous reviewers; the Grand Hyatt may be okay for a business traveler, but I do not recommend it for the leisure traveler. We requested one king bed, we got two doubles. The sheets did not fit (too small) and the mattress pads were ripped. The room had no make-up mirror and toiletries were not replenished until requested. The bar was overrun with convention attendees. The room alternated between being too hot or too cold. The pool is a outdoor pool designed for fitness, not fun.

There are MANY other nearby hotels that must be better that this charmless "Grand" Hyatt.

1  Thank AllentownPATraveler
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Stayed here while attending a business conference and was blown a way by this hotel. The decor is upscale and sleek. Its like a boutique hotel with space. The rooms are beautiful. Perfect hotel for a business traveler but i would stay here with my family as well and there were quite a few families doing just that. There was a minor sanfu with my check in but the extremely helpful front desk staff did their best to correct it and ended up comping my breakfast for the duration of my stay. At let me say the food in the hotel restaurant is delish. The hotel is located right on the Riverwalk , right next door to the Convention center and the River Center mall. The Alamo is a very short walk away. The Riverwalk was beautiful. I plan on returning for a leisure visit so i explore it more throughly. Very charming city. Fab hotel!

Reviewed February 19, 2010

This is a conference hotel and the public spaces are, accordingly, spacious and impressive. The vast lobby seems somewhat impersonal but the front office staff are extremely attentive and helpful. On the lower level is an excellent restaurant, attractive modern design, offering an excellent, varied breakfast buffet. From this level, you can walk out on to the San Antonio Riverwalk.

Too bad that the bedrooms do not live up to the design standards of the public spaces. Sure, the comfort of the bed (plus five pillows) was up to the best Hyatt standards but the decor was boring and did not (apart from the sand-colored window blind) pick up on the color palate of the city or region. The bathroom in particular was barely one step up from a regular Holiday Inn.