“This hotel has business travel down perfectly”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
DC
“This hotel has business travel down perfectly”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

One caveat - everything extra costs $$

BUT... if you're like me and travel for business frequently, I want a nice clean room, comfortable bed, and place to workout while on the road. Tthis is the best hotel by far in these three categories I've found in San Antonio. Small coffee maker in the room is the cherry on top. Fast check in. Conceriege knows the town.

There are certainly better values in SA that offer complimentary breakfasts and manager's receptions, but this is the first hotel I've stayed at on the road where after 1-2 nights I wasn't sleep deprived and wanted to get home ASAP.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bemd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I attended a conference held in the hotel and it was my first visit to San Antonio. I stayed for 4 or 5 nights.

The hotel was almost brand new at the time of my visit. It is walking distance to the Alamo, shopping, restaurants and the river walk. If you are going to a conference here, there is no need to rent a car, mine stayed parked for most of the trip in the very expensive hotel parking lot. You are better off taking a taxi to & from the airport. I went to a Spurs game and AT&T center isn't too far away, so take a taxi.

The bar in the lobby has funky decor, but lacks televisions for watching sports.

There is a coffee shop in the lobby. Average.

Staff were very helpful and attentive. The restaurant was top notch, serving a great variety of locally inspired foods. I am a vegetarian and staff were very accommodating. Room service was also very good.

The rooms are excellent for business travel with a big desk and comfortable chair. Wireless access charges are average for a hotel of this class. I didn't have any technical problems. The Bed was comfortable. The air was a little stale so some windows with the option to let in fresh air would have been nice. A balcony would also have been a bonus. Why don't any hotels have HD television?

There is a lap pool outside the fitness club. Very warm and shallow. Nothing to write home about.

Great fitness club with tons of high end equipment. All cardio machines have a built in TV with an independent tuner so you get to watch what you want. The walls are all windows and you look out over the Riverwalk district of San Antonio.

The only strike against this hotel is that the room was not as clean as I would expect. Nothing major, but lacking the polish that you would expect in a hotel of this class.

The Phoenix Suns were also staying at this hotel since they were in town to play the Spurs. If its good enough for NBA superstars, its good enough for me.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SirCanuck
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I found myself staying at this property, everything was booked for me via a 3rd party for an even I was working in town..The check in process took less than 2 minutes overall I would say, the person at the counter was very courteous and efficient and I received the King Non-Smoking room I had requested. The room was on the 18th floor with an unobstructed view of the Tower of Americas and the Alamo Dome stadium.

When I first walked into the room there was a very pleasant fresh smelling aroma. There was ample room to move around in the bathroom, hot water was plenty, the soaps and shampoos were very nice, although a bit too flowery almost. Another nice touch was a good sized tube of toothpaste. The water flowed very smoothly out of the sink faucet, almost silent.

The TV was a HI-DEF set, but of course no HI-DEF programming. Internet as mentioned in other reviews was not free and overpriced. The bed was very comfortable, lots of great pillows and soft sheets. Another nice touch was the IPOD docking station that charged will you played it. The heating-cooling system worked fine as well. I had dinner in the restaurant and everything was perfect…the cornbread was so good I got more and had it for dessert.

This hotel is very near a very quiet section of the Riverwalk, but a short jaunt and you'll be near all the shops and people.

The only thing I didn’t like to much was the closet door that seemed to weigh 200 pounds and opened out to the hallway right near the exit of the bathroom, I left it open one time and Also the window covering were a bit hard to open and close, and did not cover up the sunlight gaps very well.

Yes, everything at the hotel is overpriced, thus the GRAND name, but it is very nice inside, and all the people I encountered at the property were very friendly. I would gladly stay here again when someone else is picking up the bill.

• Liked — Great lighting and large open lobby...Great location....Employee were very helpful
  • Disliked — Thought the room would have been bigger
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MrFoxBox
California
Reviewed December 11, 2008

If "Grand" Hyatt means a big hotel with lots of rooms, then the title fits; however, if "Grand" means on par with other full service hotels, it is a misnomer.

First of all, the hotel has no store. If you are in need of a new shirt or if you forget your contact lens solution, you will have to wait for the Rivercenter mall to open at 10AM.

For a large hotel, the parking valet and bell staff appeared to be a little off their game when we first drove up. Instead of opening our car doors, they just kind of stood there until I told them we wanted valet parking and help with the bags.

As far as the rooms go, we found the accommodations lacking. The bath towels are thin. I have seen better towels at a weekend car wash. The bathrooms don't have the separate tub and shower. It is combination bath/shower like a Hyatt Place. Moreover, this property just opened this year and the furniture had already been beat up quite a bit.

The front desk staff appeared friendly but again a little clueless. When I went to the front desk to get the morning paper which is usually outside my hotel room door as it is supposed to be for all Gold Passport members, the front desk acted as if they didn't know what I was talking about.

On a positive note, the breakfast buffet was excellent and the restaurant staff was outstanding! Curiously, we weren't offered the little smoothies that we have grown accustomed to getting at other Hyatt properties. We started to sit outdoors on the Riverwalk for breakfast to enjoy the fine San Antonio weather. Sadly, the patio chairs were soiled and dingy so we sat inside.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience and I would stay here again. I think it was a fair value considering I paid the government rate; but, had I paid the prevailing rate or even the "Hyatt.com rate" I would have been pretty upset because this Grand Hyatt just doesn't measure up to the hype.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poorly appointed bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Balad
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2008

As many reviewers have noted this is a standard convention hotel that charges too much for the room and way too much for everything else ($12.95 a day for internet service--warning: wireless service is quite spotty and they cannot or will not do anything about this...including deduct the fee from your bill!). The rooms are fine and the beds are comfortable.

Was guaranteed a king-size bed, but when I got there it was not to be had. A nice girl at the desk took care of this and had me moved to the room I requested on my second day.

I guess it is still new and things are certainly glitchy. The showers have zero pressure, water so soft that you will feel soapy the entire time, and...this was my favorite....the water gets warm...never hot! There is a sign that says you may need to run the water for some time to get the right temperature, but if it gets anything warmer than warm it must take longer than ten minutes! (By the way, they place this sign next to another sign that says they won't clean towels unless you ask them to because they want to save water!)

The bar is fine with overpriced, but good drinks--the decor a modernism that reminds me of the UN Headquarters or mid-century Soviet. The gym is large and new, the lap pool looks great, but there is no sauna or hot tub.

I don't know--it is fine, not great...certainly not grand. Maybe in a year or so the place will be running smoother and the details will be worked out, but until then you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank HolaGatitos
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed November 26, 2008

San Antonio's Grand Hyatt meets the criteria of a standard or typical convention hotel, it's relatively expensive, the guest pays for virtually all the amenities, and the facilities are certainly adequate for the convention participant.

During our four day, three night stay we experienced comfortable lodging. The staff of the hotel with whom we dealt were competent and friendly. On the other hand, my continuing disappointment with hotels like the San Antonio Grand Hyatt is the necessity to pay for internet connection. My specific disappointment with the San Antonio Grand Hyatt was an absence of towel racks in the bathroom. That may seem a minor disappointment until one is trying to reach for a towel from the shower.

We did appreciate a wealth of electrical outlets in the room, and we also appreciated the Grand Hyatt's nearness to San Antonio's convention center and famous River Walk. The restaurants along the river were interesting, and they represent a variety of menus, although the heavy emphasis is, as might be expected, Mexican or Tex-Mex.

For what the Grand Hyatt is--a convention hotel--it meets well its purpose. However, if I were visiting San Antonio for personal reasons, I'd probably select one of the nearby hotels that offer a less expensive experience, for example, an experience that might include complimentary breakfast and wireless internet. That's not meant to be a criticism of the Grand Hyatt, it's a mere statement of opinion about value. I suppose a convention hotel is geared more to economics of business travel and expense accounts, But, in these increasingly difficult economic times, justifying the differences in costs, even if the differences are picked up by one's employer, is difficult.

• Liked — Convenience to convention center and River Walk
  • Disliked — Need to pay for internet connection, lack of towel racks in bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank K R
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for the National Council of Teachers of English fall convention (I received a discounted rate of $180/night).

The hotel has a very modern minimalist decor that is clean and inviting. My room had two double beds, and it was fairly spacious, in terms of the typical city center hotel. Concierge service was friendly and inviting, and when I needed help I was offered assistance.

I truly enjoyed the hotel's restaurant ACHIOTE for lunch. A fajita bar is offered for $15, and along with freshly made tortilla chips (accompanied by guacamole and a variety of salsas), guests can choose from chicken/beef fajitas, salads, beans, rice, etc. Fresh fruit cups containing watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple and honeydew are offered, along with a nice selection of rich desserts.

In terms of my room (I stayed four nights), I was not overwhelmingly impressed. When I first checked in, I noticed that my television would not turn on. I called for assistance, and I was told that "engineering" would come to my room to repair it. I was told that this is a "regular" problem, since housekeeping apparently bumps into the wires in the flatscreens. After waiting for 35 minutes, the tech arrived--only to push a cord into the back of the TV. I was dumbfounded as to why the hotel would not check guest rooms for this before guest arrivals, or why concierge would not just walk guests through the process of checking the cord. Ultimately, I was inconvenienced because I had to stay up until midnight waiting for a cord to be pushed into a television.

While preparing to take a shower, I didn't know what to think when I went to turn on the water and found the control knob in my hand (and off of the mounted fixture). Housekeeping did nothing to repair this loose handle during the four days that I was there.

In terms of housekeeping, the service is thorough, but it can run very late. On average, I had to wait until 4:40-5:00 p.m. for my room to be serviced (I didn’t request special service to have it cleaned earlier).

If you are a traveler who likes a quiet setting, you might also ask for a room that doesn't overlook the River Walk area. Apparently, a band was playing one evening, and the walls were rattling with rumbling base. When I called the concierge, I was told that other guests had also been complaining. During another evening, two guests checked into the room next door, and I could overhear their entire conversation. It seems as if the walls are not that insulated!

The location of this hotel is quite convenient for convention goers or travelers who want to explore the River Walk. Though my experience was satisfactory overall, I would more than likely select a different hotel during my next visit to San Antonio. For the price, the atmosphere is not overwhelmingly luxurious; even my bed was not as comfortable as beds I’ve had at other brand name hotels.

Other travel tips: Make sure to take the trolley (for $1 each way) to the Mexican market (Mercado) where you will find Mi Tierra café and bakery. I had a terrific lunch there, and the atmosphere is festive and fun! If you are approached by the singers, be prepared—if they sing you a song, they will ask for $6 when they are finished. If you do not want to be serenaded, the singers will politely move along. I had a GREAT meal here and the menu is fairly priced. Don't miss it!

• Liked — Proximity to convention center
  • Disliked — Noise levels
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business