“Average Hyatt”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Average Hyatt”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over the Thanksgiving weekend. This is a very busy hotel. We waited just over an hour for our luggage. The message light was on in our room upon arrival and the front desk wasn't sure what it was about. That got cleared up quickly but the light was never reset on the phone. The room is clean. The bed is good and there is a nice pillow selection available. The bathroom is not what I would expect from a Grand Hyatt but is clean. The best thing is the lounging chair. Be advised there is no view of the river walk itself (which we knew) but the city lights are very pretty at night. Despite the number of people at the hotel, it was very quiet and we were never disturbed by noises or hallway bumps. If you get breakfast tickets, be aware that drinks (including juice and coffee) are not included. Skip it if you can - there are better tasting selections available for the same price. The elevators are fast and frequent and we didn't have any issues or concerns regarding our safety or the behavior of other guests.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie C, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property’s Riverwalk location. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Alamo City!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Riverwalk Nov. 28 and 29, 2013. Found the hotel to be beautiful - very clean - no noise from the hallways - excellent location - really have no complaints. The only complaint is all the construction in downtown San Antonio but that is no fault of the hotel. I got the hotel by using Priceline and after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I was really nervous because there were some bad reviews - after staying here - I'm totally confused by those reviews because I have nothing negative to say. I am very picky about hotels and I travel a lot - this is one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at on the Riverwalk and would not hesitate to do so again. Please ignore the bad reviews.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our property and had a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Our family stayed at the Grand Hyatt in San Antonio for the 2013 Rock-n-Roll Marathon. This location was chosen for close proximity to this event. The room was spacious, clean and perfect for our needs. The room was a Grand Club on the 23rd floor with a beautiful view of the city.
What made our stay most pleasant were the Grand Club Concierges, Angie, Mo and Judy. It was probably the best service we have experienced at a hotel along with the great snacks that they served. The girls were always smiling, happy and made you feel comfortable. Mo was inspiring and motivating. We also enjoyed seeing Walter White at the hotel with them. (Ha Ha, he looked just like him) We will return to this hotel because of this service. Thank You.

Room Tip: Recommend the Grand Club Room so you can also enjoy the company of Angie, Mo, and Judy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie C, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location of our property and the great staff in the Grand Club! We hope to see you again in the future.
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

There staff was very friendly. Specially Judy, Botello and Angie in grand club on 23rd floor. breakfast was good with nice selection. Room was clean. Location is very nice, close to most of the things.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Stephanie C, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to seeing you soon!
Little Elm, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this location numerous times and I am always impressed by the level of service provided. That being said, all the amenities do come at a price. Self parking and valet parking are both available with the latter being close to 30 dollars a day. There are 2 locations for food in the hotel, bar Rojo which has a limited bar menu with prices in the mid to high range, I paid 16 dollars for a southwest Caesar salad with chicken. There is also a Ruth's Chris steakhouse on the river level. If you are a gold passport member and have access to the club lounge they have heavy appetizers, a superb view of the tower of the America's, and reasonably priced beer wine and cocktails. I always try to use a diamond suite upgrade at this hotel if they have one available.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our club level. We look forward to seeing again soon!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Huge modern hotel, mainly used by conference guests by the look of it during our stay. Well located, walking distance to everywhere.

Front desk staff friendly and efficient. Rooms big, clean and stylish. Everything worked well.

Very comfortable bed, had great sleep.

Loved the painting of the SA skyline on the wall - would love to know who the artist is so I can see if I can get a copy, would look great in my lounge.

Only gripe was wi-fi. It's free to anyone who wanders into the lobby, but guests have to pay to use it in their room. It seems really unfair that Joe Bloggs off the street can have free wifi but not paying guests in their rooms? Shame on you Hyatt!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location of our property and the skyline art. We hope to see you again in the future!
Dallas
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We just completed a 3 night stay at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Let me say first that I'm a flexible traveler and don't expect perfection. We traveled here for a convention, and the location was perfect for a conference at the convention center. The hotel itself is beautiful. It has a contemporary, upscale vibe upon entering the lobby. Everything is modern and minimal which is a lovely touch.

My disappointment came from the moment we stepped off the elevator. The carpets in the hallways were quite worn and stained for a hotel relatively new. But still no biggie. Upon entering the room, it was small, but still no biggie and acceptable for an urban hotel. The furnishings were modern yet looked rather worn for a relatively new hotel. There are only 2 small drawers in case you are a person that likes to unpack. My biggest disappointment was the bed. I'd stayed at other Hyatt's with much better experiences. The beds in our room were quite hard although the mattress appeared to have a pillow top. And the bed squeaked of metal with every movement. I literally couldn't believe I was having this experience in a Hyatt Grand. The bathroom was fine as expected, but the towels were very thin for a Hyatt. Again, I've stayed at many Hyatts, Hiltons, Omnis, Wyndhams for business, and I've never had the experience I've had at this Hyatt Grand. We had two calls to the front desk for simple questions; both resulted in being transferred for a total of 10+ minutes between operator and front desk with no one answering.

The internet was left to be desired. I initially signed up for the $9.95 plan since I wouldn't be needing video conferencing as the upper plan suggested. I quickly found I couldn't connect at all. It was literally speed from dial-up a decade ago. So, I attempted to upgrade to the business plan. After literally 15 minutes on the phone with the front desk and Hyatt support, I was finally upgraded. The speed was still not even close to what my mobile phone offered, and I had a very difficult time accessing websites and emails. For a conference hotel catering to business, there internet was very inadequate. If you have any business to do at all , take a personal hotspot.

2 things are going for this hotel. First, it is connected to the convention center, so it is the perfect location if you have meetings in the hotel or next door. Second, it does have a Ruth Chris as it's hotel restaurant which was a nice touch. We ate there several times for lunch and dinner. Again, the bar area is open and hip with drinks and a sushi bar.

When we travel for a convention again, I will most likely not choose to stay here. They have much improvement to do with front desk customer service for calls. I had a much better experience at the Hilton which is across the street from the convention center. If they would improve the bed quality and internet service, I would reconsider. It's all about expectation; due to my previous Hyatt experience I had higher expectations....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay with us. We apologize for your less than pleasurable experience. We would love to have another opportunity in the future to provide you with the standard of service both you and we expect.