“Better than I thought it would be”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #18 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We're not usually big on the huge convention hotels, but as we were there for the Alamobowl it seemed the logical choice. We didn't have the information on getting a discounted room in the block for families, so we were told were too late to get the block rate when I made a reservation. One of the others in our group got free club access, and the same club floor room for $125. As I read about the room rates (on this site) that others got during the same weekend I feel ripped off at $179 We were "upgraded" to the club floor, but not given access to the club room. Why do they do this? I'd rather stay somewhere where the rate is consistant, than to feel like this. We were polite, asked for the group rate, were denied and accepted it. Maybe we should have been more demanding. We purchased a breakfast plan, so we went downstairs to eat, while the others went to the club room. We were also charged for parts of the breakfast when we weren't supposed to be. It was taken off, but I don't think I should have to ask. So with all the other positive things about this hotel, this is enough to make me use a different hotel chain when we can't find a small boutique hotel.

The rooms were clean and comfortable except the bathroom sink was dirty. It looks like the cleaning staff may have poured coffee in the sink and rinsed a rag forgetting to clean the sink...not a big deal. The bed was very comfortable, and I love that the HVAC system was quiet and in the wall instead of the terribly noisy under-window units at many places. The temperature was easy to set and stayed comfortable. The view was good. The rooms were very sound proof. Once the door was shut we didn't hear anyone else. All of these things count for me when trying to sleep. The towels were replaced daily, but they forgot washclothes. I just used the end of a hand towel...again, no big deal.

The elavators were a problem. One kept getting stuck on our floor (23rd), and so no other cars would come. One night only one was working. The lines for the elevator were pretty long. The rest of the property was nice. The location of this hotel is great! In general, I think it's rediculous to charge people for internet access when even cheap family oriented hotels provide it for free. So in conclussion, if the rate had matched the others, and internet would have been included, my rating would have been a 4+

Room Tip: High floors are nice if you like a view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank noni2lily
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt San Antonio

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had stayed at a different hotel for the beginning of my vacation. That hotel was less than acceptable. My last night, I decided to switch hotels and shifted to the Grand Hyatt. Check in was super smooth and everyone was very accommodating. Bethany at the front desk was a huge help with figuring out my canadian bank card and getting me to a bank that it would work in.

The outdoor heated pool was a treat. It was a bit of a cold dash to it, but once in I was a happy (canadian) camper. The room was beautiful. Had a great view of the tower of the americas (i think it's called). A nice easy walk to restaurants, shops, the Alamo. A bit of a farther walk to Mi Tierra and la vilita but definitely worth the walk. The bar had great cocktail options. I had the pomegranate black cherry martini.

The breakfast buffet was really nice, but I always forget that it's hard to find orange pekoe tea in some of the states. That was really my only disappointment.

Check out was a bit crazy, but to no fault of the hotel. Bethany was there again and a huge help in the whole process. I would gladly stay here again and encourage others to do the same.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We are pleased to hear you were able to enjoy the remainder of your San Antonio vacation with us. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had high expectations of the Grand Hyatt so it was a bit disappointing. The location is excellent, right on the Riverwalk with a short walk to the mall, the shops and restaurants and the Alamo. There was a sign in the bathroom that indicated they would not be changing the bed linens unless requested. I don't change them everyday at home, so that was no problem. But I thought the universal code for changing out the towels was to leave them on the floor or in the tub. The maid at the Grand Hyatt didn't seem to know this as dirty towels were left on the floor after the room had been serviced. I didn't really mind that they weren't refreshing the toiletries on a daily basis, but I did think that once the shampoo bottle was half empty, it should have been replaced. (It wasn't.) The thing that bothered me most was that when we would come in to our room in the evening, there would be a flyer for pizza delivery on the floor. The reason this bothers me is I don't like the idea that people who are neither employees or guests of the hotel are wandering freely around the guest room floors. I mentioned this to the concierge who said they'd take it up with security but another flyer appeared the following night. The food in Achiote was fine, (although my companions who ordered beef complained that it was a bit tough - I had chicken.) Our waiter gave us a good plug for breakfast $22 all-you-can eat buffet. We didn't feel that we could each eat $22 worth of food and had breakfast elsewhere. It was the perfect location to watch the NYE fireworks. Our room would have been perfect if it had been raining, but since the rain stopped and the fog lifted, the 5th floor pool party was perfect. Well worth the $17 they were asking when we booked the room in September, but not worth the $35 they were asking that day. Overall, I think we had a great value (room rate $89) but I'd have been really upset if I'd paid more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a very massive, business-oriented hotel. It has zero charm and corporate service and is horrendously expensive, but is comfortable and located next to the convention center and right on the Riverwalk. As a convention hotel, it is fine, but I would probably look to stay elsewhere if I didn't need to be here. You will get nickel and dimed here, as is to be expected for such a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. The rooms have amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi David, thank you for the opportunity to provide our team with feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel's location. We appreciate your remarks on our hotel's pricing and believe that we are competitively priced with other Riverwalk properties in the area. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is by-far one of the best places to stay on the Riverwalk! I've stayed at the Hilton Palacio del Rio, Hotel Contessa, Emily Morgan, Marriott Rivercenter and Marriott Riverwalk and never had such a great deal than what the Grand Hyatt offered.

There were 2 events going on during our stay...the Alamobowl and NYE...and the front desk workers informed me the going rate was $250/night. However, I was offered $115/night + Free Internet + Free Parking + Free Daily Breakfast Buffet! What amazing value for such a great hotel!

The location is right off the riverwalk in between the Tower of Americas and the Marriott Riverwalk/Rivercenter. We really enjoyed the location in downtown as it was very easy access to the highway. The parking garage was reserved for hotel guests only which was convenient as downtown was flooded with people. We never had any struggles finding a parking space. The breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant was pretty good. Valued at $18/person, they offered your usual breakfast cravings and also included a made-to-order omelet station. We ate here twice and were able to enjoy a variety of food both mornings.

The actual room was quite spacious and comfortable. We stayed on the 9th floor, so the 6 elevators were convenient and speedy to get us up and down the floors. Bathrooms were clean and spotless. Internet was quick. Housekeeping was efficient and surprisingly changed our towels daily. Walls were thin, so a little noise goes a long way. After the first night, the elevated noise levels didn't really bother me as much.

Overall, a fantastic stay in San Antonio. Would definitely rank this hotel at the top of the list for future stays!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl, so everywhere we went was very busy. The front desk staff were very efficient and allowed us to check in early. This was really appreciated as we had been on a bus for 14 hours. Rooms were average size, but the chaise made a nice place to read or rest. Everything was very clean and the staff were really pleasant about getting extra towells and such. This hotel is really convenient to the Convention Center. Light lunches and breakfasts were part of our package and they were okay, salt and pepper packets could have made this better suited to more tastes. Overall it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor makes for pretty good views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us in San Antonio. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

THIS WAS THE FOURTH TIME WE STAYED AT THIS HOTEL AND DEFINITYLY THE LAST!!!!
Be careful of using the 800 service in booking your rooms. They tell you one thing then the hotel tells you another and acts like you don’t know what your talking about. We booked a second night because it was going to be 40% off and when we get the bill it is not applied. The front desk told us we missed understood what the 800 reservations were offering but the funny thing is it was on speaker phone and we both understood it perfectly. Our first warning of this scam was we received a email two days before our visit from GRAND HYATT SAN ANTONIO wanting to add an additional 40 dollars for each night to our bill and we replied back as we booked the rooms with that all ready in the cost of the room.
Front desk didn’t want to give us the 40% off until we stated we were calling the 800 service and requesting a copy of the conversation and bingo the 40% came off. Why should it have come down to all this making the stay less enjoyable.
To make matters worse is the bed springs were broke on one side of the king-size bed making it difficult to sleep comfortable. So we changed sides the next night so one of us didn’t have to sleep on that side again. ADIOS

Room Tip: Rooms are better at another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gregory A
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Greg, We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We would like to extend a sincere apology in regards to your bill. We currently do not offer a 40% discount on second night stays, but would like to make things right with you. Please contact our front office manager at your earliest convenience to discuss. Thank you!