“Good quality hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hobart, Australia
“Good quality hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed there for a conference recently. Although they have Wi-Fi i found they the first room i checked into was at the very end of one of the wings of the hotel and could only access WiFi when i was standing up against the door. I changed to a more central room but wifi was better but still not a very strong signal. The pool was a bit small. It was close to the river walk however. Overall quite good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for three nights in June for a convention.

We arrived at 1:00 and we were able to check-in early using the kiosks.

We received a conference rate for the room, and everyone in our group received a room with two double beds (NOT queen beds). Between the two beds and the chaise, large desk and entertainment area, there wasn't much space to move around the room. My desk chair kept bumping into the one bed whenever I used my computer. There was a fridge and safe in the room. I thought it was very odd that there were only two very small drawers for clothes. Since I was staying there 3 nights, I really had to cram things in there. The luggage rack was missing, so I could not use my suitcase for storage. The closet was plenty big with lots of hangers, but no robes as others have mentioned.

The bathroom sink was very high off the ground with not much area to use to store toiletries. I'm 5'5", and I had trouble washing my face with the basin so high. A nice touch was the small tube of toothpaste left as part of the toiletries package. None of my toiletries were ever replaced, even the soap, during my stay (usually leaving a tip for the maid every day does the trick on this, but not on this trip). By the third day, I had to dig into my reserve supply of soap that I always travel with. One light bulb remained burned out in the bathroom for the entire stay. My hairdryer did not work beyond the "low" setting, but was quickly replaced when I mentioned it to the very helpful bellman at 6:00 in the morning.

All of my colleagues disliked the double bed set up. Having said all of this, the room was certainly spotlessly clean. If you don't like to walk along way, you should decline any room ending in the 60s or 70s. I had room 1472, and it was a two minute walk from the elevator - agony when I had been standing on my feet all day at a conference..

Now for the good news - the staff could not do enough for us. From the bell staff to the concierge to the front desk, everyone was super friendly and efficient.

A big plus for me is that the huge fitness center was open 24/7. There were four ellipticals, three bikes, and probably a dozen treadmills, along with a variety of weight equipment. There were always plenty of towels, sanitizing wipes, water, cups, and headphones. I particularly enjoyed a few laps in the pool after my workout. There are outdoor showers at the pool where I could rinse off prior to swimming. The pool is a perfect lap pool - three lanes and long.

We had breakfast and lunch at the on-site restaurant. I enjoyed the breakfast panini, but for $15 was surprised that it did not come with potatoes, fruit, or any side dish. The lunch buffet was not extensive; the desserts were excellent.

The location on the riverwalk is a prime draw. If you go down the escalator in the lobby, go outside, turn right and walk about 7 minutes, you will come to more restaurants than you can count. There is also a water taxi stop outside of the hotel.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, but try to get a room that does not have two double beds (unless that is specifically what you want).

1 Thank Nittany&Fargo
, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed San Antonio, our hotel's amenitiesm and our Riverwalk location. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt with my wife and son for a conference my wife was attending. The location is great and the hotel is huge. There’s a nice outdoor pool and the restaurant serves some great local cuisine. The rooms were tastefully decorated and have very comfortable beds. The River Walk is a must see easily accessible by foot from the hotel. There’s also a very nice rotating restaurant walking distance from the hotel called Tower of the Americas. You can get an amazing view of the city while enjoying a 5 star meal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed San Antonio and look forward to seeing you again!
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed here because it was the official conference hotel for my husband's conference. The location was great. Not right in the middle of the Riverwalk, but on a leg of the Riverwalk. Could walk to the mall or the Alamo in no time. Our room was clean, water hot for showers. Pool is small, but that's ok. Fitness room was large and had many machines. We had a small fridge in our room and a great view. Bed was comfy. We only had 2 small drawers to put our clothes in, which I thought was odd. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Right downstairs by the Riverwalk is a great place for happy hour! 4.50 drinks and 4.00 small plates that are some of the tastiest I've ever had. A mix of Asian and Latin flavors. There is a place in the lobby where you can get Starbucks.

Room Tip: Get one relatively close to the elevator or you might have to walk a bit.
1 Thank Moomduck1
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed your time here in San Antonio. We hope to see you two again soon, perhaps next time for leisure travel!
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and we had no complaints. The lobby was huge. Our corner room was perfect - pretty large with a comfortable chaise lounge. I loved the bathroom with the carrara marble sink and the fridge came in handy to store our leftovers from the Riverwalk restaurants ("Boudros", etc.). The hotel was in the perfect location, near the Riverwalk and not too far from the Tower of the Americas. We walked everywhere. The pool was very relaxing. We got free internet in the lobby. Definitely, would stay here, again, as we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
West Middlesex, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip. The room was beautiful with a very nice view. The bar was nice and service was excellent. The pool was crowded and somewhat cloudy. People at the pool were bragging that they didn't stay there but since they didn't need a key to access the pool, they just come to swim!

1 Thank David P
, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Hi David, we appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Dallas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in early June. Large hotel, fairly close to the highway. Typical large convention center hotel, with looooooong hallways, indescript hotel decor -- could have been anywhere, no sense of San Antonio at all. No free Internet in the rooms. Expensive parking. The bed sheets (fitted!) too small for the bed and kept coming off through the night. Room was in the 6th floor, and heard the pipes of the hotel buzzing all day long! Unlikely to repeat a stay here.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
1 Thank CultureWarrior