“Excellent Customer Service From Staff”

Grand Hyatt San Antonio
Ranked #20 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Abilene, Texas
“Excellent Customer Service From Staff”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is our third time staying at the Grand Hyatt and my first time rating this hotel. My wife and I arrived around 3:00p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Front desk staff were busy checking in guest as expected, one of the staff members led us to the kiosk to check in and was very helpful, and in no time we were checked in! The other thing I would like to add is that we had made reservations around 3 weeks prior for 99 per night. Two nights before leaving we had seen they had rooms for 69 per night. So we called to see if we could get this rate, without hesitation, they gave us that rate. As we were leaving to go shopping, it was raining, the staff member at the front told us about the umbrellas they furnish to guest,so we went to the front desk and assigned one to our rm. to use during our stay, FOR FREE!! The only downside is parking. We always park across the street and pay 9.per day(no in or out on the same day). But this will not stop us from coming back again and again. The rooms are clean, roomy, and comfortable. THANK YOU GH staff and cleaning staff.

Room Tip: 4th floor is pool area and weight room (Nice weight room). For New Year's Eve the south side a M...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MG7210
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for leaving us with your feedback Mario. We are happy to hear you found our hotel and staff accommodating and look forward to your next visit to the Alamo city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Only a 5 minute walk along the quiet section of The Riverwalk to the "main" section, so no disappointment there. Typical "big box" Hyatt convention property: marble floored bathrooms w/nice fixtures & good quality room furnishings. Nothing special, but good. Very dirty & stained hallway carpets that should have been cleaned long ago. The room carpet & upholstered chaise & pillows, were WAY past-due for a GOOD cleaning. Raises questions about "routine" cleaning schedules, & does not meet expected Hyatt standards. The $25 nightly self-parking fee would encourage a look at other properties. Would return, but probably not the 1st choide next time.

Room Tip: Not much difference in location view --- north, south, whatever.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We were in San Antonio for the recent veterinary convention and chose the Hyatt because it was the closest to the convention center. You do not even need to cross a street to get to the convention center.

At check in, we received an "upgrade" to the 24 th floor. The room was spartan, but clean and quiet. We were staying for 4 nights, so we had a lot of clothing: be forewarned, there is very little storage space. I usually unpack when I am staying for more than a day but the closet was tiny and there were only 2 very tiny drawers. I basically lived out of my suitcase.

The bed was comfortable. The cleaning staff were very effecient and thorough. Most importantly, I usually hear EVERYTHING and I was never awakened during the night by noise from the hallway or other rooms.

The internet connection worked well.

At the end of the reception counter there are 2 computers and printers to use to check in for flights and print boarding passes. Very handy!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
SATGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Antonio, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us for AAEPCE. We're happy we were able to accommodate you during the conference and have passed your kind words on to our team members.
LA
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights this past week for a convention,next door at the convention center.

Location is off the busy part of the riverwalk but is still walking distance to everything.

Rooms were clean except for the frayed,not so clean carpet.Toliets were the weakest flushing I think I've ever seen.Closet space is very limited here.

Housekeeping was good.

Great gym-best I've seen at a non Vegas hotel.There are towels on every cardio machine as well as cooled towels available.Seperate yoga ,cardio and weight rooms.

.Pool is adjacent to gym on 5th floor and is a 25 yd,shallow lap pool.There were some non- hotel guests that were in there swimming and security kicked them out.

Elevators are fast.

If you need a cab the bellman will flag one over from the convention center which takes about 30 seconds.If you have more then one person going together to the airport take a taxi as the shuttle is $19 per person and the cab is around $25 total.

Didn't eat on the grounds so no rating on the food here.There is so much within walking distance I wasn't interested in hotel food.

Starbucks is across the street in the Marriott.

2 Thank SGV
Alberta
Reviewed November 22, 2011

As experienced travellers, we no longer expect things to be perfect...nor do we think the pictures in the brochure will match what you see on your arrival. HOWEVER, this hotel was truly an upsetting experience.
We were in San Antonio for a veterinary conference at the Convention Center. It was a VERY short walk. That is the nicest thing I can say about it.
The rugs were absolutely filthy, stained and "gummy."
The sheets smelled of B.O. Yup, really.
There were only 2 drawers in the entire room, which were half the size of the console in our vehicle, SERIOUSLY. There were only 4 hangers. The television was so grainy, it was hard to tell what you were watching, and nearly every channel was pay per view. Who wants to pay $4.99 plus tax to watch Grey's Anatomy???? The check-in took forever, even though there were only 3 people ahead of us, and 3 clerks checking people in. We booked a king bed, and ended up with 2 double beds (which I didn't notice were doubles, thought they were queens, until we returned from the 'meet and greet' at 11:00 pm....who wants to start arguing then, or change rooms, after you have spent 12 hours travelling???).
The most modest breakfast was $25.00 per person. Should I go on??
On the plus side, housekeeping staff were friendly, and made a point of checking that our room key actually worked when we stopped in to grab something when they were cleaning. I hadn't thought of it, but that IS a good security measure.
The bottled water that was left conveniently beside the TV apparently cost $4.00 each. We found that out when we were leaving. Gee, we could have had wine instead....THAT was ONLY $8.00 a glass in the bar.
I don't know where a person could have stayed for $240.00 a night within walking distance of the convention center that would have been better...but I am hoping for San Antonio's sake that there IS a viable alternative....
PS: The beds were sagged down too, and had a dip on one side. The whole experience was really unforgettable, and NOT in a good way!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
4 Thank HeyWatchMeGo
Geneva New York
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Over the years I have posted a number of hotel reviews on this site and on other web sites as well. You may agree with me that first impressions are the most important impressions that we can experience. Take today for example. My wife and I had planned a short 3 night 4 day getaway break and we traveled down to San Antonio in Texas by Air Trans. Our two flights were uneventful and we arrived on time in San Antonio changing flights in Atlanta in Georgia on the way down. We were impressed by how quickly the baggage arrived at the Air Trans carousel and we quickly made our way to the taxi cab stand in anticipation of arriving at the Grand Hyatt hotel in San Antonio, conveniently located near to the historical Alamo and of course, the world famous “River walk”

Imagine then being so warmly greeted on arrival at the Grand Hyatt hotel. The prompt, courteous and professional attentions at check in at the front desk, followed by a very good recommendation for lunch at a nearby authentic Mexican restaurant whilst waiting for our room to be readied for us (We had arrived several hours earlier than the official check in you see).

When we returned at around 1.45pm, the room was ready and may I say the room was in every way what we have come to expect from the Grand Hyatt hotel

The Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Antonio Texas which we found exemplifies everything you would expect from a flag ship of this caliber. From the high standard and cleanliness of the room and common areas, the attention to detail throughout, the very first warm welcome on our arrival as well as the personalized attentions of the concierge desk when inquiring of what to do and where to dine etc.

However, the day after we checked into the hotel, I collapsed with a medical emergency and spent three days in hospital recovering from internal bleeding. The hotel helped in every possible way and were extremely concerned about my well being. Because I was unable to travel for five days beyond our original departure date, when i was discharged from hospital, the hotel once again stepped in to help my wife and I. They gave us a massive discount on a standard room, upgraded us to club level, included free access to the Club lounge and for this I am eternally grateful.

To the Grand Hyatt this was not about "Money" this was about taking care of their guests as best they could do so. My thanks to the Grand Hyatt San Antonio Texas. Keep up the good work and congratulations to the management and its staff for making Mu wife and I feel so very welcome and for being there in our time of great need.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
We would like to sincerely thank you for this review. It was our pleasure to have you here at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio and to be able to accommodate you during your time of need. We are happy to hear that you and your wife made it home safe. We hope to see you again soon.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a conference. There were a lot of people in the hotel, but I had no problems. The walls were a little thin, so I could hear my neighbors, but that was okay. Most of the staff was friendly. When I checked in on Friday night, the gentleman at the front desk was not friendly. I had interactions with two others ladies at the front desk the night before and the morning that I left. They were very friendly. I wish I would have gotten their names. The ladies in the coffee shop were also very friendly, no matter if I went there in the morning or evening. The room was very clean. I would give it an excellent rating if it wasnt for the gentleman at the front desk when I checked in.